Reload this Page >

Questions about affidavit of support

Questions about affidavit of support

Old Oct 10th 2002, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Questions about affidavit of support

Hello everyone,

I have very much enjoyed this site. I think that I have become addicted to it. It is so helpfull and I am very happy that I found it.

My question is this.
My husband and I are about to file a DCF in Norway. The embassy sent to me the neccessary documents. They require that we get everything (affidavit, medical,police report etc) before we turn in the initial application. (that is what I understand anyway. Correct me if I am wrong.

My question is this:-
I worked and made over fifty grand until last year when I got laid off. so I have the tax returns for the last three years. Also I own my home in the states which I am now putting on sale. I don't have a current job even though I have a potential job offer.
Should I use the job offer letter or should I get a joint sponsor?

thanks for the response.
Old Oct 11th 2002, 9:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about affidavit of support

Originally posted by viking:

My question is this:-
I worked and made over fifty grand until last year when I got laid off. so I have the tax returns for the last three years. Also I own my home in the states which I am now putting on sale. I don't have a current job even though I have a potential job offer.
Should I use the job offer letter or should I get a joint sponsor?

thanks for the response.
viking,
Please look for my post 'DCF Interview Success in Athens' and around the same time, some related posts about the I-864. I had a similar situation to you. Your tax returns will show your ability to earn at a level higher than the poverty guidelines and your personal presentation in the interview will, I feel, go a long way in impressing the CO with your ability to secure future employment. *That* is what they're concerned with. I was asked specifically (twice) about job offers, but not asked to substantiate/document them.

If you are in doubt about your ability to present a positive financial outlook (remember, they are concerned with your *future*), and you can get a co-sponsor, then by all means, do so. If you feel during the interview that the CO is not convinced on your own merits, you can tell them you have a cosponsor, and would that help? I chose to present my cosponsor documents and we did receive the visa that day.

Let us know how it goes for you!