British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Question on titling an imported car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/question-titling-imported-car-936819/)

Harveyspecter Jan 27th 2021 6:19 pm

Question on titling an imported car

Hi All,

I'm importing a car to the US this year (Meets all the requirements for import) but I had a question with regards to getting a title. For Indiana, a requirement to title it is certificate of title (presumably this can be the current logbook) and a bill of sale. However, car is being gifted to me from my dad therefore there won't be a 'proof of purchase' as such.

What are my options for this? Do I just get him to write a note confirming he has gifted it to me?

lizzyq Jan 27th 2021 6:48 pm

Re: Question on titling an imported car

Yes, get him to write a letter detailing that he gifted it to you and when he did so.

In order to get our PA title we had to get a sales document from the previous owner of our LR 101FC which we bought from him in 2002 as the V5 so conveniently states that it is not proof of ownership. Luckily we have kept loosely in touch with the previous owner.

Harveyspecter Jan 27th 2021 7:02 pm

Thanks, I did find it funny they request you have a title (V5 to us) and bill of sale or proof of ownership because as you noted, the V5 states it is not proof of ownership.

S Folinsky Jan 30th 2021 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter (Post 12965057)
Hi All,

I'm importing a car to the US this year (Meets all the requirements for import) but I had a question with regards to getting a title. For Indiana, a requirement to title it is certificate of title (presumably this can be the current logbook) and a bill of sale. However, car is being gifted to me from my dad therefore there won't be a 'proof of purchase' as such.

What are my options for this? Do I just get him to write a note confirming he has gifted it to me?

What is stopping Dad from doing a bill of sale? You don’t say.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 30th 2021 3:07 pm

Bill of Sale Consideration $1

excpomea Feb 1st 2021 1:37 pm

They want the bill of sale so that they can tax you upon registration based on the value.
You can try buying it for $1 but be prepared for them to come back with the actual value and demand the tax on that number.

Hopefully its not a very valuable super car.

Just out of interest, cos I'm a car nut. What model of car is it?
Would have to be something pretty special for me to go to all the trouble.

Harveyspecter Apr 28th 2021 6:11 pm

Thanks all for the heads up, I have had the car valued and my dad is writing 'bill of sale' saying it is a gift, but we have a club valuation certificate for it.

Originally Posted by excpomea (Post 12966825)
They want the bill of sale so that they can tax you upon registration based on the value.
You can try buying it for $1 but be prepared for them to come back with the actual value and demand the tax on that number.

Hopefully its not a very valuable super car.

Just out of interest, cos I'm a car nut. What model of car is it?
Would have to be something pretty special for me to go to all the trouble.

It's a Ford Anglia 105e, so not supercar money but it is very sentimental.

Harveyspecter Apr 28th 2021 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 12965065)
Yes, get him to write a letter detailing that he gifted it to you and when he did so.

In order to get our PA title we had to get a sales document from the previous owner of our LR 101FC which we bought from him in 2002 as the V5 so conveniently states that it is not proof of ownership. Luckily we have kept loosely in touch with the previous owner.

Did you need to present the V5? Because like you say, it is not proof of ownership but for the Indiana 'Out of state vehicle transfer to Indiana' form, it says I need a certificate of origin or title:

https://i.imgur.com/45ZZRlN.png

The car currently doesn't have a V5. Some British car owners local to me said they didn;t need the V5, just the bill of sale and the vehicle inspection form. What was your experience in PA?

ottotheboar May 3rd 2021 12:51 pm

I have imported and titled quite a few cars from the UK, Europe and the Middle East.
Here in Virginia a title, bill of sale, US Customs release, HS7 form plus a title application is needed.
I have found on occasion that some countries will use a different term for a title the V5 or Registration Document for example which can cause some confusion at the DMV.
If you are at the DMV and clearly getting nowhere simply try again another day, I have been given out out date information and had it implied that I had generated the Customs release myself as they are now emailed not the long paper print out.

Harveyspecter May 3rd 2021 4:37 pm

Thanks Otto, I was hoping you'd chime in!

The shipping company have said they need a V5 so I'm in the process of applying for one (well, my dad is as it's his car atm). That then takes away my worries.

Regarding trying another day, it's funny you should mention that. My experience has been the DMV in my town is far less helpful than the one 10 miles down the road!

ottotheboar May 4th 2021 12:15 pm

If you are using a UK based shipping company they will have a US broker to handle the importation.
Before the vessel arrives you will need to fill out the HS7 form and tick the box for being exempt from emissions etc due to the age of the vehicle. They are online.
Based on the last two we did it should pre clear.
Ask for the name of the vessel as you can follow it on the marine tracking websites.
If you are shipping to the East Coast I find the port of Baltimore the most easy to work with.

Harveyspecter May 4th 2021 3:01 pm

Yup the shipper is sending it to Baltimore. I have used them before (not for cars) so I have no concerns in that aspect.

I'll keep you posted, thanks again.