Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question for those who have US spouses

Question for those who have US spouses

Old Aug 4th 2004, 3:58 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Went into an Allstate Insurance office to get car Insurance...
I though she said....Hello..your gorgeous ..take me ..take me..
in fact she said ..Here's another mug.. lets see how much we can screw him for..A year of arguing about premiums led to her moving in.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:55 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

My wife(USC) was spending 3 months in Northern Ireland at Queens University as the final part of her U.S Masters degree. I was doing the Masters in Law course part time and we met in class. As she tells it she made a point in class which everyone else po-poed and then i suddenly leapt in and and agreed wholeheartedly with her and that was the beginning of it for us. At the end of her 3 months trip she switched to a student visa and transferred onto the Uk masters in law course. We got married after 6 months and when the home office said it would take approximately 18 months for her adjustment to further leave to remain we opted to move to the US.

I love her like crazy but moving to America was the stupidest thing i ever did and i miss Britain so much it hurts. Personally i would go back to the UK tommorrow if i could afford it but i expect i will instead be trapped in the USA for many years to come. Bugger. The only consolation is having such a great partner.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I met my wife online when we were both moderators of a Vegas message board. That was around june 2001 when we first started making idle conversation in emails, pm's and the boards own chat room, but we kinda knew of each other for 3 or more months before that, although she claims I ignored her. lol. We first met in person in december 2001 for New Years in Vegas. I proposed september 2002 and moved over here in July 2003.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 6:51 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like the majority met online or in pubs. The latter for us.

We met in a pub in Chester. I got her pissed on pints of bitter and the rest is history....
Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:56 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs
I love her like crazy but moving to America was the stupidest thing i ever did and i miss Britain so much it hurts. Personally i would go back to the UK tommorrow if i could afford it but i expect i will instead be trapped in the USA for many years to come. Bugger. The only consolation is having such a great partner.
I'll be bet you find things a lot better now that you're in MA. Boston's a great little town and I find it a lot more European (Englishy) than most of the US. I'm downtown every weekend if you fancy a cuppa.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:17 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for those who have US spouses

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Also, you didn't describe how the two of you met. Is it a secret?
Guessing it wasn't online!!!

We met on Singapore, both posted out by our companies. Set up as an unknowing blind date - well, she knew, as did the other 4 couples we were having dinner with....I was the only one that wasn't in on it...Apparently the sales pitch issued on my behalf was "he's not much to look at, but a nice guy". Hmmmmm
Met June 96, engaged june 97, married april 98, kids june 2001 and jan 2003, moved to US Oct 2002
Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:26 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

Met my wife 5 hours before she was due to leave the UK. She skipped the flight and stayed for a year and a half (total) by getting her US university to agree to her going to skool in the UK for but still credit it as a US degree. She moved back and when that visa arrived I came right after her.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

Met my wife at a concert in Toronto while I was on holiday (the band was Moxy Fruvous) and she had travelled over the border for the show. I didn't realise she was "interested" in me until she began to send me messages via the bands website msg board. Then about 2 months later she told me she had "coincidentally" managed to get a place on a student exchange scheme at Nottingham Uni ...just so happens that Nottingham is where I lived at the time! She was studying in Nottingham for 5 months in all and that is when we really got to know each other.

Met : Toronto Aug 1999

Engaged : Aug 2001

I moved to USA : April 2002

Married in Rochester, NY : May 2002

Last edited by RChappo; Aug 4th 2004 at 5:43 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 3:13 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
I was wondering how you met your US spouse.

I met my husband online in 2000

Yeah I am nosey and no I have nothing better to do

Ash
on icq random chat - December 8, 1998

met "in the flesh", so to speak, when Cheryl visited the UK for two weeks in July/Aug 1999

I proposed in the gardens at Hever Castle July 25th 1999

we married in Texas, October 29, 1999

lived in UK for almost 3 years then moved to Texas June 2002

best thing I ever did - 3 rousing cheers for the internet!!!!

Old Aug 4th 2004, 3:20 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Brit'n'TX
I proposed in the gardens at Hever Castle July 25th 1999
nice dude............ gorgeous there.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
I was wondering how you met your US spouse.

I met my husband online in 2000

Yeah I am nosey and no I have nothing better to do

Ash
We met thru a chat room - one of the worst chat rooms to meet online. This was on New Years Day 2002 and he came over to England to see me in March 2002. Finally got to Boston for good in March 2004 and married in April. woohoo!!!

Old Aug 4th 2004, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish my ZX81 had a modem and was internet ready and things could be a whole lot different now!
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:17 pm
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

met online 2002
i was a chat addict, never used to use mirc until the comic chat servers died though.
was with another woman at the time, and my future wife and i only shared jokes.
i got engaged to this other lady, (she lived in ohio) and after i flew back home she broke it off.
My now wife consoled me, we grew closer and afer the inevitable visits to one anopther we planned who was going to move where.

btw, we met in a chatroom called a friendly f***
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:41 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

Hubby and I are yet another couple that met online, on CompuServe, through some mutual friends. That was in 1997. We met in person in late '97, got engaged in May '98 and married in May '99. At the time it was considered very unusual to meet someone from online and marry them - funny how times have changed!
Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Good grief... nearly everyone met online!

How normal!

I met my wife online in 1999, when she mistyped an ICQ number and sent a message to me by mistake. At least that's what she tells me. She could have been stalking me, for all I know.

Managed to coax her into living in the UK for a few years, but moved over here in February. This morning, or possibly even yesterday, my AOS application was dispatched to the powers-that-be. Yay!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.