Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question for Rete/Alvena. Got I 751 approval but my USC spouse wants divorce

Question for Rete/Alvena. Got I 751 approval but my USC spouse wants divorce

Old Mar 26th 2002, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

dan1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for Rete/Alvena. Got I 751 approval but my USC spouse wants divorce

Hi
There is joy of getting I 751 approval but tears since my USC spouse wants Devorce. She is threatening me since long and have my life miserable. What will happen if she go for devorce? I may have to go back and I have sold out everything in Germany since long? Any expert advice is appreciated? How long it will take to get permenant plastic card from vermont. I already have I 551 stamp on my passport. But if I don't get Plastic 10 year card before my stamp expires then I will have to go to INS with my wife again or what are procedures? Sometimes I think She is threatening me since she knows that I am afraid and have filed for I 751
Old Mar 27th 2002, 12:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for Rete/Alvena. Got I 751 approval but my USC spouse wants divorce

Your wife can file for divorce now and threaten you with deportation all she wants. You have nothing to be afraid of. You both have applied for removal of conditions on your conditional card and it has been approved. There is nothing she can do to you. If you have to move from the house before the card arrives in, then leave a formal change of address with the US postal service and have your mail redirected to your new address. If your I-551 stamp expires before the card arrives, you can get it renewed. Your wife does NOT have to go with you. She never did to just get the stamp.

Rete
Old Mar 27th 2002, 4:54 am
Ranjini

Default Re: Question for Rete/Alvena. Got I 751 approval but my USC spouse wants divorce

"dan1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi There is joy of getting I 751 approval but tears since my USC spouse wants
    > Devorce. She is threatening me since long and have my life miserable. What will
    > happen if she go for devorce? I may have to go back and I have sold out everything
    > in Germany since long? Any expert advice is appreciated? How long it will take to
    > get permenant plastic card from vermont. I already have I 551 stamp on my passport.
    > But if I don't get Plastic 10 year card before my stamp expires then I will have to
    > go to INS with my wife again or what are procedures? Sometimes I think She is
    > threatening me since she knows that I am afraid and have filed for I 751
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > k.
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 27th 2002, 5:33 am
Ranjini

Congratulations on getting your I-751 approval. And sad to hear about your marriage
going on the rocks. Now that you have approval you are a permanent resident with
conditions removed. If you two do divorce, the only difference will be that you can
apply for citizenship only after 5 years instead of 3. Apart from that, you are now
very much your own man. There is nothing your wife can do now to take that away from
you. So relax, and try to put your marriage back together, if that's what you want.
Or go for a divorce if that's what you two decide. Best wishes. Ranjini

> Devorce. She is threatening me since long and have my life miserable. What will
    > happen if she go for devorce? I may have to go back and I have sold out everything
    > in Germany since long? Any expert advice is appreciated? How long it will take to
    > get permenant plastic card from vermont. I already have I 551 stamp on my passport.
    > But if I don't get Plastic 10 year card before my stamp expires then I will have to
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > k.
    >

Old Mar 27th 2002, 1:36 pm
Alecia Johnson

Congrats on your approval. What are your timelines? I am still waiting to hear from
NSC. I filed six months ago. 09/20/2001 is when the NSC received it.

"Ranjini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<C4do8.141405$q2.14352@sccrnsc01>...
    > Congratulations on getting your I-751 approval. And sad to hear about your marriage
    > going on the rocks. Now that you have approval you are a permanent resident with
    > conditions removed. If you two do divorce, the only difference will be that you can
    > apply for citizenship only after 5 years instead of 3. Apart from that, you are now
    > very much your own man. There is nothing your wife can do now to take that away
    > from you. So relax, and try to put your marriage back together, if that's what you
    > want. Or go for a divorce if that's what you two decide. Best wishes. Ranjini
    >
    > "dan1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi There is joy of getting I 751 approval but tears since my USC spouse wants
    > > Devorce. She is threatening me since long and have my life miserable. What will
    > > happen if she go for devorce? I may have to go back and I have sold out
    > > everything in Germany since long? Any expert advice is appreciated? How long it
    > > will take to get permenant plastic card from vermont. I already have I 551 stamp
    > > on my passport. But if I don't get Plastic 10 year card before my stamp expires
    > > then I will have to go to INS with my wife again or what are procedures?
    > > Sometimes I think She is threatening me since she knows that I am afraid and have
    > > filed for I 751
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > k.
    > >
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 27th 2002, 1:36 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: Question for Rete/Alvena. Got I 751 approval but my USC spouse wants

Ranjini wrote:
    > Congratulations on getting your I-751 approval. And sad to hear about your marriage
    > going on the rocks. Now that you have approval you are a permanent resident with
    > conditions removed. If you two do divorce, the only difference will be that you can
    > apply for citizenship only after 5 years instead of 3. Apart from that, you are now
    > very much your own man. There is nothing your wife can do now to take that away
    > from you. So relax, and try to put your marriage back together, if that's what you
    > want. Or go for a divorce if that's what you two decide. Best wishes. Ranjini
    >
well said, and correct! Alvena

See the Doc Steen site here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a lawyer, and this
is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly gleaned from old
newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need a lawyer, go to:
http://www.aila.org

Old Mar 27th 2002, 4:05 pm
Paulgani

Relax. Now that you are approved for your I-751, there's nothing your wife can do to
get you kicked out. You can officially stay in the U.S. forever.

You can move out, and have your mail forwarded. The plastic green card should be
forwarded to your new address. If not, you can simply file an I-90 by yourself for a
replacement. Your physical possession of the card doesn't matter so much as your
status. You can always get a replacement card now that you are an unconditional PR.

Paulgani

>
    >
    >
    > --
    > k.
    >