Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question on renewing passport in the USA

Question on renewing passport in the USA

Old Aug 27th 2017, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on renewing passport in the USA

Originally Posted by Brandy07
I thought they came back separately but wasn't sure if the old one was sent back by courier too
I believe the second one is also by courier from what I recall from my son last year. I think it is important that it is by courier because as well a copy of his US passport he had also had to send his birth certificate and both were returned in the 2nd document packet.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Brandy07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I believe the second one is also by courier from what I recall from my son last year. I think it is important that it is by courier because as well a copy of his US passport he had also had to send his birth certificate and both were returned in the 2nd document packet.
Thanks - I don't want my visa to go missing!
Old Aug 28th 2017, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

SpeshK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stubbzj12
Hi! My passport has expired and I need to get it renewed. I'm a resident living in the US, so I'll have to do the process through the UK government website.

After the trouble of finding a place where they offer UK sized passport photos, I finally got them and I now need to complete the online process.

It says for the requirements I need to send my passport, photos and a copy of any other passports issued by other countries. The problem is, I don't have any other passports apart from my green card. So does this mean I need to send a copy of my green card?

Secondly, will it hurt to send any additional documents (birth certificate)? Or, is that not recommended?

Lastly, how does postage work?

I appreciate your time reading this.

*Edit*
Can I track the progress? I don't mean shipping tracking.
Heads up, I send an application last week. You don't need to send photos now for overseas applications. You can just upload a picture from your phone.

It's pretty efficient now. It arrived into the Durham passport office last Wednesday at 10am. They processed and shipped the new passport last Friday at 7.30pm ... 2.5 days from receipt to shipping the new passport is great. The only bad thing is that I can't find the DHL tracking numbers anywhere and it has to be signed for so will likely miss the delivery.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

stubbzj12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I really appreciate everyone's replies. It helps out a lot. Sorry to bring this back up!

I've still not yet started to process, but I probably will be tomorrow.

If I may ask, who countersigned your documents (and photo)? And if it's an american citizen, do I really need a full color copy of their american passport? This bit is confusing me. I live in the sticks so it's going to be pretty hard to find someone who knows me well enough to do it. Unfortunately, my appearance has changed quite a bit. So, I'm guessing I'll definitely need it done.

Thank again!

Last edited by stubbzj12; Aug 30th 2017 at 10:23 pm. Reason: Edited
Old Aug 30th 2017, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

I really appreciate everyone's replies. It helps out a lot. Sorry to bring this back up!

I've still not yet started to process, but I probably will be tomorrow.

If I may ask, who countersigned your documents (and photo)? And if it's an american citizen, do I really need a full color copy of their american passport? This bit is confusing me. I live in the sticks so it's going to be pretty hard to find someone who knows me well enough to do it. Unfortunately, my appearance has changed quite a bit. So, I'm guessing I'll definitely need it done.

Thank again!
I don't think they need countersigning if it's a renewal. I did my application online on Saturday and uploaded a digital photo which wasn't countersigned. I sent my passport back on Monday by FedEx (went into my local branch) and it cost $60. It was delivered today but not showing as received on my tracking yet
Old Aug 30th 2017, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

We only need a countersignature
when there is a section shown on
the declaration form.
A ‘countersignatory’ will need to fill in this section
if you are applying:

• for a first British passport
• to replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport
• to renew a child passport (if the child is aged 11
or under), or
• to renew a passport (adult, or child aged 12
to 15 years) if you cannot be recognised from
the photograph in your current passport, or to
extend a passport.

This is going to be really hard because I don't really anyone who can do this for me :/
Old Aug 30th 2017, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

@Brandy07 I think you are right. I only need a countersignature if I can't be recognized from my old photos. The issue is that I've changed in my appearance quite a lot as my old photo was taken a long time ago. If I didn't have to worry about it, I could easily get on with the application...
Old Aug 31st 2017, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

@Brandy07 I think you are right. I only need a countersignature if I can't be recognized from my old photos. The issue is that I've changed in my appearance quite a lot as my old photo was taken a long time ago. If I didn't have to worry about it, I could easily get on with the application...
Ah ok. Do you work here? Have any neighbours? Partner that works here who has a colleague that could sign it?
Old Aug 31st 2017, 1:33 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the sticks so it's going to be pretty hard to find someone who knows me well enough to do it.
My dentist countersigned my UK passport application.

Ian
Old Aug 31st 2017, 2:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
My dentist countersigned my UK passport application.

Ian
I suppose I could ask him. The problem is, asking for a full color copy of his passport with his ID. I live in the middle of nowhere, and work from home, so that doesn't help the situation lol
Old Aug 31st 2017, 2:18 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I really don 't think they are that fussy so long as they can see it is you. My son changed enormously from one passport to another and I thought it was 50/50 about whether the passport office would accept it but they did.

Put your old photo and your new one up on here and we'll judge!!
Old Aug 31st 2017, 2:27 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know the change in appearance that matter have to be extreme, much more than aging or change in hair style, "If your face has changed significantly, not including the normal signs of ageing"

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 31st 2017 at 2:37 am.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Last year my son required a countersignature and 2 years ago my daughter required a countersignature. My son waited until he visited us in England on holiday and got our long time friend to do it (he is a retired school teacher). Our daughter, in California, got her boss at work to do it.

They used to require a countersignature for all overseas residents and I got my boss in Texas to do it in 2006. It was nice last year not to need to do this.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

I suppose I may be able to get away with it. Hopefully!
Old Aug 31st 2017, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

I suppose I may be able to get away with it. Hopefully!
I sat with my son as he did the online application and it lead him through the process, and then informed him that he would need a countersignature. I guess that if you stated that your current photograph was going to be a close enough match they could decide it wasn't good enough when you mailed in the documents, then they will simply ask for the extra paperwork.

Last edited by durham_lad; Aug 31st 2017 at 4:16 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.