Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

question regarding SSS

question regarding SSS

Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Nick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud of
Question question regarding SSS

Hi

I have a question concerning the SSS ( http://www.sss.gov/ ) .
I am US-citizen, born abroad. On this homepage they write the following:

Almost all male U.S. citizens regardless of where they live, and male immigrant aliens residing in the U.S., are required to be registered with Selective Service if they are at least 18 years old but are not yet 26 years old. Men who are 26 years old and older are too old to register
The problem is, I did n`t know that I have to register and I`m 27 years old.

another quote from this homepage:

What is the penalty for not registering?
If you do not register, you could be prosecuted and fined up to $250,000 and/or be put in jail for up to five years. Registration is also a requirement to qualify for Federal student aid, job training benefits, and most Federal employment
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

What shall I do ? thanks for your help

Nick
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Not much. You have to write to them stating why you didn't register and prove evidence that it wasn't because you didn't want to/forgot/etc. You need a pretty darn good excuse though.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
Not much. You have to write to them stating why you didn't register and prove evidence that it wasn't because you didn't want to/forgot/etc. You need a pretty darn good excuse though.
Even with a good excuse, it is still highly unlikely that you will be given an exemption. SSS had a hardline policy on this a few years ago, and I don't think it has softened.

But don't stress too much. You don't have to worry about jail or fines - SSS never prosecutes. And since you apparently have birth-right, they cannot deny you citizenship.

However, you are now ineligible to work for the Federal government (including the post office, FBI, etc...) or get Federal loans for school. I don't know about you, but this does not affect most people.

If you still want to appeal directly to SSS, PM me and I will give you the name and contact info of the guy who could straighten your situation out if he felt inclined, but I will warn you, he can be a prick.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 3:32 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bother (but don't listen to me).

It says if you are 18 through 25. Your 27 so it doesn't count.

If you're a male U.S. citizen, age 18 through 25, and are living OUTSIDE the United States, you can register with Selective Service by filling out the form below and clicking on "Submit."
Old Jul 30th 2004, 4:07 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rincewind
I wouldn't bother (but don't listen to me).

It says if you are 18 through 25. Your 27 so it doesn't count.
I never registered. If the USA bar me from becoming a citizen because of it then it is their loss not mine.