Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question regarding retaining employment in the UK

Question regarding retaining employment in the UK

Old Feb 8th 2017, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question regarding retaining employment in the UK

Hey all,

So when I move across to the USA (May) my UK employer is wanting me to work remotely, after my Green Card/EAD comes through - what I'm wondering is, is it possible to remain an employee of the United Kingdom company and have them pay my salary into a UK bank account, and transfer to and from my UK and US (when I have one) bank account using TransferWise or something? I know that if I were to do this I would have to pay US taxes - so I guess my question is; is it possible for my UK employer to pay my gross salary (Not taxed) into a UK bank account, then for me to pay US taxes (whether it be quarterly or whatever)?
Old Feb 8th 2017, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding retaining employment in the UK

Your employer will want/need advice on its own corporate tax and employment law obligations. Ask them to share this with you.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 2:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding retaining employment in the UK

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
Hey all,

So when I move across to the USA (May) my UK employer is wanting me to work remotely, after my Green Card/EAD comes through - what I'm wondering is, is it possible to remain an employee of the United Kingdom company and have them pay my salary into a UK bank account, and transfer to and from my UK and US (when I have one) bank account using TransferWise or something? I know that if I were to do this I would have to pay US taxes - so I guess my question is; is it possible for my UK employer to pay my gross salary (Not taxed) into a UK bank account, then for me to pay US taxes (whether it be quarterly or whatever)?
If you are truely "on the payroll" it isn't going to be possible to be paid gross from the UK and without NI deducted and employer's NI charged to the employer. If you're "on the payroll" those charges are mandatory.

The only workable work-around is to become a contractor who bills for his time and expenses. Your "employer" pays you gross as you are outside the UK, and you should ask for the employer's NI charge to be added on top, as you will have to pay employer's Social Security charges and things such as the state charge for the unemployment scheme, etc. in the US.