British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Question regarding an ITIN number (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/question-regarding-itin-number-282498/)

AL100 Feb 7th 2005 6:43 pm

Question regarding an ITIN number

I have been able to use my ITIN for my Amex account, department store cards, health insurance coverage and bank accounts. I would like to know if it is possible to get a car loan or car lease using an ITIN number.

I have a very good credit history based on my ITIN number.

NC Penguin Feb 7th 2005 6:53 pm

Re: Question regarding an ITIN number

Originally Posted by AL100
I have been able to use my ITIN for my Amex account, department store cards, health insurance coverage and bank accounts. I would like to know if it is possible to get a car loan or car lease using an ITIN number.

No idea about running a credit report based on an ITIN number. There have been quite a number of threads about credit history and also on the subject of buying cars.

Would suggest you conduct a search in this forum for past threads on the two subjects. Imagine that answers to your question may have already been covered.

NC Penguin

TRPardoe Feb 7th 2005 9:31 pm

Here in sunny FL you cannot use an ITIN to finance a car.

However your credit history might be good as you have US credit cards, mortgages, loans in good standing. When the dealer runs your credit he will tell you what your status/level is although he might not tell you your score. Only the lender will accept/reject you or ask for "Stips".

Be prepared to provide Bank References etc.

We frequently sell vehicles to the Germans living around here, who own large amounts of property but have no SSN. We use 111-11-1111 foir the SSN and they put around 50% down. No problem.

You might get away with 30%.

franc111s Feb 9th 2005 9:38 pm

My wife had a TIN number for 4 years and then had her SSN for 5 years afer that. We couldn't work out why she kept getting rejected for a credit card and store credit with her SSN and lept putting everything then in my name. It turns out the fact they see "2 SSN's" in the Equifax, Transunion and Experian Credit Bureau systems, they had her down as a potential fraudster or problem.

It took 6 months to clear it all up (I sent them threatening letters :) ) and now her credit score is better than mine.

She used the TIN here in Georgia for everything for 4 years, including a car lease. they have no idea it's a TIN and not a SSN - at least they didn't 8 years ago.

I pay a service called www.identityguard.com - It's a monthly fee but I get notified instantly there is any change to my credit record (enquiries and updates) from any one of the 3 bureaus. Hope that helps.

AL100 Mar 17th 2005 2:23 am

Was it an ITIN Number that your wife was using prior to being issued a SSN?

Also, which credit cards was she able to obtain using an ITIN?

Ben Mar 17th 2005 12:14 pm

Your ITIN number and card specifically state that this is for tax purposes only. I never used mine for anything else and gained a credit rating - was able to get a store card, credit card in my name (never used it though). the store card they did a check first, instead of it being instant but it was well worth the wait and the credit card just called me up and asked me if I wanted one. I didn't but they sent it to me anyway and I just activated it. Too easy if you ask me but there you go :)

Now I have my SSN I do use that when asked and have never had an issue with me not having a SSN before now. :)

franc111s Mar 17th 2005 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ben
Your ITIN number and card specifically state that this is for tax purposes only. I never used mine for anything else and gained a credit rating - was able to get a store card, credit card in my name (never used it though). the store card they did a check first, instead of it being instant but it was well worth the wait and the credit card just called me up and asked me if I wanted one. I didn't but they sent it to me anyway and I just activated it. Too easy if you ask me but there you go :)

Now I have my SSN I do use that when asked and have never had an issue with me not having a SSN before now. :)

Same thing, store credit cards and the like. ITIN can be used for almsot anything because their systems ar so stuiipid. It was only when she got the SSN number that there was a problem because ALL 3 of the credit bureaus don't know how to deal / report with ITIN any differently so to them, she had 2 SSN's. All they see is a number that looks like any other SSN number. They don't have a field that says any different.

Heck, people have built up credit scores on made up SSN's that don't even exist. Shows you how crabby the 3 bureaus really are.

fatbrit Mar 17th 2005 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by franc111s
Heck, people have built up credit scores on made up SSN's that don't even exist. Shows you how crabby the 3 bureaus really are.

Precisely! The credit bureaus don't care -- they'll happily run multiple name/address combinations under a single SSN.

Had a friend who was pissed when his credit report showed he had a Discover card under a different name/address but his SSN. Discover weren't interested because whoever had applied for the card with the stolen SSN was paying the account as agreed. Credit bureaus weren't interested either. Un-freakin-believable!

AdobePinon Mar 17th 2005 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Precisely! The credit bureaus don't care -- they'll happily run multiple name/address combinations under a single SSN.

Had a friend who was pissed when his credit report showed he had a Discover card under a different name/address but his SSN. Discover weren't interested because whoever had applied for the card with the stolen SSN was paying the account as agreed. Credit bureaus weren't interested either. Un-freakin-believable!

Had something similar a few years back. AMEX bills started showing up at my address with someone else's name. Checked with the landlord - noone of that name had ever lived there. Called AMEX. They couldn't give a rat's ass until I threatened to close my own account with them.

BTW, it's not that anyone at AMEX cared about the monetary value of my account. What counts is that the rep you're talking to on the phone doesn't want to be listed as having lost another account.

fatbrit Mar 17th 2005 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Had something similar a few years back. AMEX bills started showing up at my address with someone else's name. Checked with the landlord - noone of that name had ever lived there. Called AMEX. They couldn't give a rat's ass until I threatened to close my own account with them.

BTW, it's not that anyone at AMEX cared about the monetary value of my account. What counts is that the rep you're talking to on the phone doesn't want to be listed as having lost another account.

This short-term view taken by the financial industry and supported by the current pro-big business regime is all going to end in tears. ID theft at its current spiraling rate is quite capable of collapsing the financial system. And is usual in the land o' checks and balances, nothing but tinkering at the edges will happen until Armageddon actually occurs.

franc111s Mar 18th 2005 1:42 am

www.identityguard.com - it's not cheap but I'm taking no risks.; I evaluated lots of these and this one is the best I found by far.

fatbrit Mar 18th 2005 4:20 am

Originally Posted by franc111s
www.identityguard.com - it's not cheap but I'm taking no risks.; I evaluated lots of these and this one is the best I found by far.

But then you're paying the devil to see the info they collected on you and subsequently screwed up! How about using the FACT act free reports?

mdyoung Mar 20th 2005 3:51 am

My guess is yes, since an ITIN is formatted like an SSN and you have established a credit history under the ITIN, the lease and loan company will have a record to check. Companies just use an SSN to identify people because just about everyone has an SSN and everyone is supposed to have their own number. You could have used your telephone number to apply for a credit card or a loan if they would have accepted it. Now bank accounts need a Tax Identification Number (TIN), so with those and filing taxes you need to provide an SSN or ITIN.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510
RM 00203.510 Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN

C. POLICY - INVALID NONWORK REASONS

1. Federal and State Income Tax Purposes

Under U.S. tax law, taxpayers and certain other individuals must provide a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) to IRS (26 USC 6109(e)). The TIN may be either the SSN assigned by SSA, or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), a 9-digit number assigned by IRS.

2. Banking/Monetary Purposes

With limited exceptions, an individual must provide a Tax Identification Number (TIN) to a financial institution for an account or other monetary transaction (loan, mortgage, stock/bond purchase) for tax purposes. The TIN may be either the SSN assigned to the individual when applicable, or an ITIN assigned by the IRS.

If the alien has been present in the U.S. for less than 6 months, he/she is exempt from providing a TIN for banking purposes and should ask the financial institution for Form W-8, Certificate of Foreign Status. IRS will assign ITINs for banking purposes to aliens not authorized to work who have been present in the U.S. for 180 days or more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Social Security number (SSN) was originally devised to keep an accurate record of each individual’s earnings, and to subsequently monitor benefits paid under the Social Security program. However, use of the SSN as a general identifier has grown to the point where it is the most commonly used and convenient identifier for all types of record-keeping systems in the United States.

Specific laws require a person to provide his/her SSN for certain purposes. While we cannot give you a comprehensive list of all situations where an SSN might be required or requested, an SSN is required/requested by:

Internal Revenue Service for tax returns and federal loans
Employers for wage and tax reporting purposes
States for the school lunch program
Banks for monetary transactions
Veterans Administration as a hospital admission number
Department of Labor for workers’ compensation
Department of Education for Student Loans
States to administer any tax, general public assistance, motor vehicle or drivers license law within its jurisdiction
States for child support enforcement
States for commercial driver’s licenses
States for Food Stamps
States for Medicaid
States for Unemployment Compensation
States for Temporary Assistance to Needy Families
U.S. Treasury for U.S. Savings Bonds

The Privacy Act regulates the use of SSNs by government agencies. When a Federal, State, or local government agency asks an individual to disclose his or her Social Security number, the Privacy Act requires the agency to inform the person of the following: the statutory or other authority for requesting the information; whether disclosure is mandatory or voluntary; what uses will be made of the information; and the consequences, if any, of failure to provide the information.

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your SSN, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for a Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means.

Giving your number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask why your number is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the consequences are if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.