British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Question regarding electrical stuff (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/question-regarding-electrical-stuff-163395/)

BritGuyTN Jul 2nd 2003 10:51 pm

Question regarding electrical stuff

Hi, hope someone can shed some light....

I have had my L1 approved and i am working out what I can take over, some items being electrical:

Firstly, if I get a transformer is my espresso machine likely to work?

Secondly, I have 2 stereos - one all in one unit that the manufacturer is converting for me to run in the USA - no probs..

My other stereo is separates and I can live without the CD/AMP no worries, BUT I would really like to retain the speakers.

bearing in mind that speakers are not powered (just connected to an amp via copper cable), would I encounter problems using them with US separates?

I know about the whole 'cheaper to buy over there' argument but this is not true for this case....

any advice gratefully appreciated:beer:

Yorkieabroad Jul 3rd 2003 2:19 am

Espresso machine - don't see why not, but not talking from experience - unfortunately we sold ours before we came here, which I am really regretting as I haven't been able to find anything remotely in the same league in the stores here (though I guess I could probably get something online if I got round to looking for it...)

Speakers - should be OK I think....we're running a 240v Bose system through a transformer, and everything seems OK.

Pulaski Jul 3rd 2003 10:26 am

Re: Question regarding electrical stuff

Originally posted by BritGuyTN
Hi, hope someone can shed some light....
The only things that won't run off a transformer are things that are dependent on the mains frequency not just the voltage. I am sure that your espresso machine will be fine.

I had a really good British-bought separates system that I wanted to keep and it runs perfectly on a transformer in the US, but if you want to do this buy a transformer that can cope with the peak power requirements, and then some - I'd recommend a 2KW transformer if you have a fair sized amp (60W per channel or more). BTW CD players have their speed governor and so don't run at a speed dependent on the mains frequency, unlike other motors.

Have you checked www.dvdoverseas.com? They have a good range and good prices too. NB You'll need a "voltage stablizer" model for a hifi.

bizzie@herdesk Jul 3rd 2003 11:57 am

ok.. first off... before ya'll call me a pillock.... forgive my ignorance..

i'm going to be packing up a complete 2 bedroomed house... is it worth considering taking ALL the electrical equipment like TV, vcr, stereos, fridge, freezer right down to bedside lamps ??? i'd just assumed i would have to sell everything with an electric current running through it...

my fiance is in a furnished apartment and if i can bring these large items with me it'll save us a fortune when we start furnishing our house... is it practicle or feasible to bring these items with me and buy a shed load of transformers ???

i also understand that US vcr's and dvd players won't play my British video tapes or dvd's... and i have some precious home video tapes i don't want to lose... and an 11 year old with a stack loads of videos and dvd's...

any clue guys ???

you can stop laughing now and answer me please

Bee

Pulaski Jul 4th 2003 4:16 am

Originally posted by bizzie@herdesk
ok.. first off... before ya'll call me a pillock.... forgive my ignorance ...... any clue guys ???

you can stop laughing now and answer me please

Bee
Your TV and video are frequency dependent appliances (UK mains is 50Hz, US is 60Hz) and so won't work on a transformer, even to watch PAL VHS tapes.

The lamps can probably be converted, but you'll need to replace the bulb holders as well as the plugs, so unless you are really attached to them I woldn't bother bringing them. The stereo will work on a transformer (see my post above) but it'd have to be a fancy one to make it worth your while - otherwise I'd chuck it and buy a new one. The fridge and freezer should work, I think, but again I woudn't bother unless thet are very new - and bear in mind that US groceries are typically sold in much bigger bottles and jars than in the UK so you'll have difficulty fitting things like a gallon (US) of milk in a British fridge.

Personally I'd only bring what you are really attached to as it is more trouble than it is worth to convert, or buy transformers for, most things.

Rockgurl Jul 4th 2003 7:34 am

Damn... I thought I could take my English TV and video and just run them off a transformer to watch all my videos. Say it isn't so! :(

Pulaski Jul 4th 2003 4:17 pm

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Damn... I thought I could take my English TV and video and just run them off a transformer to watch all my videos. Say it isn't so! :(
Sorry, your TV "scans" the picture with a beam of electrons 50 times a second, based on the frequency of the mains. It isn't going to like being fed 60Hz mains. :(

In any case you can get a half-decent 20" Jap TV here for under $200, and a similar VCR for under $100, so it would be barely worth the effort of bringing them from the UK even if you could get them to work.

207lonsdale Jul 4th 2003 4:29 pm

Just wondering if there will be any problem in taking an HP Laserjet A3 printer and a Rexel paper shredder to the the US?

The paper shredder cost $600 and the printer, being for business use, cost $1,800 ..... if I sell them I will only get about $1000 on the second-hand market and I don't think that will buy comparable products in the US.

Obviously, I would prefer to ship both items to the US, but don't know if power supply and maintenance will be an issue. Consumerables, such as replacement toners, are not a problem as I can get them shipped when needed.

Any advice would be appreciated! :)

BritGuyTN Jul 5th 2003 3:48 pm

i think the printer and shredder should work fine (with a transformer)

i am shipping over my HP laserjet with other stuff in tea chests

Pulaski Jul 6th 2003 1:22 pm

Originally posted by BritGuyTN i am shipping over my HP laserjet with other stuff in tea chests
I hope that the ship that carries your stuff from the UK doesn't make a call in Boston! :D

Sixx Jul 6th 2003 3:25 pm

does anyone know where i can buy a multi-regional dvd player in america...

i have dvd's that i cant get in america and because they are region 2 wont play on my fiances dvd player...

i heard there were codes you could get to de-code your player but i cant find them anywhere...

any help would be appreciated... thanks

Pulaski Jul 6th 2003 3:50 pm

Originally posted by Sixx
Does anyone know where i can buy a multi-regional dvd player in america? .....
dvdoverseas.com

Rockgurl Jul 6th 2003 4:26 pm

Oh how depressing! How the heck am I going to be able to watch my PAL videos in the US if I can't use my UK TV and video? :(

BritGuyTN Jul 6th 2003 9:10 pm

FYI... I found the most effective way to ship for myself was by airfreight

delicate items like my espresso machine and B & O stereo that require high value insurance may not fare too well on a ship!!

and its takes 48 hours to get to the local airport!!!

Pulaski Jul 7th 2003 10:57 am

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Oh how depressing! How the heck am I going to be able to watch my PAL videos in the US if I can't use my UK TV and video? :(
I have heard that most (all but the very cheapest) VCRs will play a PAL tape anyway. I haven't tried it myself yet, but take a tape along to Best Buy, Circuit City, or your local electrical store and ask to try before you buy.

If it doesn't work you can always get a dual standard VCR (feeding a standard NTSC TV) from [url-www.dvdoveseas.com]dvdoverseas.com[/url]