British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Question on Passport signature (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/question-passport-signature-695701/)

boulder227 Dec 3rd 2010 4:56 pm

Question on Passport signature

Hello!

I am completing my renewal for my British Passport, and my signature at the end of the form, under section 8, went slightly out of the white box and into the bold yellow surrounding the box. I then read that "IMPORTANT - KEEP WITHIN BORDER" after the box. Will this invalidate my application? I've already had my countersigner sign this one. Thanks!

md95065 Dec 3rd 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Question on Passport signature

Originally Posted by boulder227 (Post 9019372)
Hello!

I am completing my renewal for my British Passport, and my signature at the end of the form, under section 8, went slightly out of the white box and into the bold yellow surrounding the box. I then read that "IMPORTANT - KEEP WITHIN BORDER" after the box. Will this invalidate my application? I've already had my countersigner sign this one. Thanks!

Possibly.

It is a completely ridiculous restriction of course - my normal signature doesn't fit in a box that size any more than it fits on the back of the credit card - they are going to scan the entire form anyway and can easily adjust the size of the signature to be whatever they want ...

Anyway, I would fill out that page of the form again just to be on the safe side - do you actually need a countersignature for your application? If it is just a straightforward renewal and your appearance is still sufficiently similar that it is obvious that the new pictures are of the same person as the ones in the old passport you do not need a countersignature despite what the instructions appear to say.

boulder227 Dec 3rd 2010 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9019419)
Possibly.

It is a completely ridiculous restriction of course - my normal signature doesn't fit in a box that size any more than it fits on the back of the credit card - they are going to scan the entire form anyway and can easily adjust the size of the signature to be whatever they want ...

Anyway, I would fill out that page of the form again just to be on the safe side - do you actually need a countersignature for your application? If it is just a straightforward renewal and your appearance is still sufficiently similar that it is obvious that the new pictures are of the same person as the ones in the old passport you do not need a countersignature despite what the instructions appear to say.

Thanks so much for your reply - I had a feeling it would be an issue. It is a straightforward renewal, with the caveat that it expired in March of 2009. Sooo I wasn't sure because I had let some time go by if I would need a countersignature or not. I look exactly the same(plus a few grey hairs!). Any thoughts if it is needed? Thanks again so much, I really appreciate it.

Bob Dec 4th 2010 2:43 am

Originally Posted by boulder227 (Post 9019949)
Thanks so much for your reply - I had a feeling it would be an issue. It is a straightforward renewal, with the caveat that it expired in March of 2009. Sooo I wasn't sure because I had let some time go by if I would need a countersignature or not. I look exactly the same(plus a few grey hairs!). Any thoughts if it is needed? Thanks again so much, I really appreciate it.

My old passport expired about 2.5 years ago and I renewed it without a counter sig and it wasn't a problem, I haven't changed all that much and I think this was the first photographed bit of ID where I either don't look like a terrorist or a 12 year old :lol:

Speaking of, my drivers license is due up in Feb, hopefully I'll get that same bit of luck for that photo as my current one is horrendous.

boulder227 Dec 6th 2010 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9020112)
My old passport expired about 2.5 years ago and I renewed it without a counter sig and it wasn't a problem, I haven't changed all that much and I think this was the first photographed bit of ID where I either don't look like a terrorist or a 12 year old :lol:

Speaking of, my drivers license is due up in Feb, hopefully I'll get that same bit of luck for that photo as my current one is horrendous.

Thats funny:) I just realized another part of this- I have a name change due to marriage, and the renewal. Still no countersignature needed, you think?

Bob Dec 7th 2010 12:02 am

Originally Posted by boulder227 (Post 9024556)
Thats funny:) I just realized another part of this- I have a name change due to marriage, and the renewal. Still no countersignature needed, you think?

You just need proof of who you are, marriage cert etc and you should be fine.

boulder227 Dec 7th 2010 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9025235)
You just need proof of who you are, marriage cert etc and you should be fine.

THANK YOU!!!! Good luck with your license :)