British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Question for the parents of school aged kids. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/question-parents-school-aged-kids-671485/)

Ash UK/US Jun 7th 2010 8:02 pm

Question for the parents of school aged kids.

Do you usually buy an end of year gift for your childs teacher and if so what kind of gift?
My daughter is 'graduating' kindergarten on thurs.

naomi Jun 7th 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Question for the parents of school aged kids.

My daughter also graduates K soon. I don't think we'll buy a gift for her teacher as they had "teacher appreciation week" a few weeks ago, and we got her something then (Starbucks card). I think my daughter will draw her teacher a picture, and write her a nice note though.
Naomi.

Mummy in the foothills Jun 7th 2010 10:59 pm

No.
We did it one year and the poor woman had 26 small presents, She looked overwhelmed. If you do it a gift card sounds better.

N1cky Jun 7th 2010 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 8617742)
Do you usually buy an end of year gift for your childs teacher and if so what kind of gift?

Do you have a class Mum? If so speak to her and ask if she can organize a collection to buy one gift/gift card from the class.

This always seems to work nicely at my daughters school.

MsElui Jun 8th 2010 12:01 am

I am collecting cash donations from parents of my sons kindergarten class and will buy a big gift card with the total for a craft store the teacher loves. No-one has to participate - its purely voluntary and people can contribute whatever amount they like

I did the same at Xmas and collected $160 - but this time its going to be closer to $100 i think, as some people have bought separate gifts. The teacher was hugely pleased at xmas (and very surprised as we had managed to do it all out of school).

I did this collection because i faced the same dilemma as you at Xmas. I asked several friends who were teachers and they said that they like gift cards but a consolidated collection was much better than lots of bath and body sets or mugs etc. As its a Kindy class there is no class mum so i just volunteered and sent out an email to all the parents myself.

I did something similar last week for my other sons Pre school teacher - but this time me and another mum bought a pot plant and then made some flower envelopes out of - and each parent (there were only about 10) supplied a gift card of their choice to go inside each flower alongside a small note saying what the child liked best about the teacher/class. It went down very well too.

Bill_S Jun 8th 2010 12:27 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 8618225)

I did something similar last week for my other sons Pre school teacher - but this time me and another mum bought a pot plant and then made some flower envelopes out of - and each parent (there were only about 10) supplied a gift card of their choice to go inside each flower alongside a small note saying what the child liked best about the teacher/class. It went down very well too.

I hope you mean "potted" plant :eek:

Bill_S Jun 8th 2010 12:28 am

How about a big jar of Marmite :p

MsElui Jun 8th 2010 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 8618267)
I hope you mean "potted" plant :eek:

:rofl:
yes potted plant!

Sue Jun 8th 2010 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 8618106)
No.
We did it one year and the poor woman had 26 small presents, She looked overwhelmed. If you do it a gift card sounds better.

I'd second that, a gift card is a great idea. That's what I used to do.

chocochoco Jun 8th 2010 3:54 am

Yes. I also did that and it's a lot useful!

AmerLisa Jun 8th 2010 5:08 am

I'm horribly organized about things like this, I always have good intentions, but....:o

Anyway, my daughter had the same teacher for 1st and 2nd grade (something we were happy about, we're getting ready to repeat the same thing 3rd into 4th, am not so happy with that one....) and of course forgot to do a gift at the end of the year.....I made up for it at the end of 2nd grade, got her a $20 gift card to Borders.

Moonshadow_Girl Jun 8th 2010 5:14 am

I would definitely recommend a gift card to a store where s/he could buy school supplies or books. Goodness knows teachers spend alot of their own money for their classrooms already.

goldenstate31 Jun 9th 2010 6:17 pm

Walgreens have some great little 'keep sakes' in their book section. :)