Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question on Packet 3 sent to London-please help

Question on Packet 3 sent to London-please help

Old Apr 20th 2001, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

pjane1954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good morning:
I have a slight problem, I think! Am I reading the UK Embassy instructions correctly? It says: "As soon as possible, complete and return to us the following enclosed forms:
OF-230 Part I
OF-156 (in duplicate) (Please complete but do NOT sign the form)
OF-156K"
But then I read the K Visa Faq, and it says the following...
"When you have gathered all the required items from the OF-169 (or UK/85) checklist, you will sign it and send the checklist to the Consulate. Do NOT send any of the listed items.....keep them for the interview. Hang on to the OF-156 and OF-156K application forms. Fill them out but do NOT sign them until the interview itself, as the signatures must be witnessed by the Consular official."
What am I missing? My Fiance already posted the checklist back to London on Wednesday and I'm afraid now that we sent the forms, and he even perhaps has signed the wrong forms. ( He did exactly as he was instructed by the attorney's letter, I might add). Please help!
Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 20th 2001, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

You should do what the UK embassy tells you to.

They want to help you to speed up the process by opening a provisional file for you. In order to do this, they need to see the biographical data forms. You don't need to send any supporting documents (eg birth certificate) along with this form, as these will all be inspected at the interview.
Old Apr 20th 2001, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

misskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant future

penny, don't panic! and i'm loving that i've finally found someone who is just as stressed about all these little details as i am.

the "listed items" are (i believe) things such as the long birth certificate, the police certificate and the i-134. therefore while the forms your fiance filled in (156, 156k and 230) get sent to the embassy either after they've requested them or off your own back if you're wishing for them to open a provisional file, you keep these specific items with you and produce them on the day at the embassy.

i myself sent in all the requested forms including the of-156 and of-156k *unsigned* as specified, and have all the listed items sitting at home in a little divided folder (because it makes me feel i'm being *so* much more useful to have them alphabetised and in pristine condition). i wouldn't stress if your fiance signed them and wasn't supposed to have, or was supposed to have and didn't, i've read interview experiences where forms haven't been correctly filled in and they've simply filled in new ones on the day. the impression i've got from speaking to the london consular information unit is that they're nowhere near as bureaucratic as the service centers, and won't send forms back to your fiance to be rewritten just because he hasn't crossed his Ts or dotted his Is.

of course i could have completed this part of the process incorrectly, but i'm hoping that other posts will show we're worrying unnecessarily.

good luck

kate
Old Apr 20th 2001, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Oh thank you so much for your replies!
Yes, we are opening a provisional file in London. Anything to take my mind off the Approval out of CSC!
I feel so much better now, and can go off to work now with a lighter head (after losing much sleep last night, since he phoned me at 11 pm frantic about the forms!) Thanks again, to you both!
Old Apr 23rd 2001, 2:54 pm
Jonathan_ATC

You follow the UK directions. They are different than from any other place. Hence
the FAQ glossing over that part. K-1 from UK is so easy, anyone could do it without
a FAQ. ;o)

--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page
http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's
Fiance Visa Page http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization
Service http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 24th 2001, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your advice Jonathan.
It's greatly appreciated!
Now if only getting my 2nd NOA out of CSC could be as easy. I wonder why their hours are only from 9 am - 3 pm?
Maybe they work 6 days a week to make up a 40 hour week.