Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

question of illegal immigrants

question of illegal immigrants

Old Jul 28th 2002, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

thekingofmemphi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question of illegal immigrants

Before blaming the illegal immigrants, we have to reconsider our past policies that created this problem.

Let me give you an example:
Just recently, I saw one immigrant virtually illiterate, skilless, not having good background record came to US in so called great DV_Lottery program.

And I also saw rejection of a real competent CPA's application for student visa for further refinement in one area of his expertise. He was genuine seeker of non-immigrant visa. Even if he came here and managed to prolong his stay here, he would for sure, do it in a legal manner.

What great are we doing through our policies? Canada is using its skilled worker policy although has to reconsider its policy for refugee and asylum seekers. But US has no policy at all for people who are needed if we are to keep this economy vibrant. What I mean is there is not any economic intent in the immigration policy of this country.

Just deporting people may not solve problem if we always keep our room for illegal immigrants open. And if we deport a international university Graduate student just because he/she could not maintain grade in one subject in one semester (as the current policy makes him out of status) and import these useless DV-winners (as most of them are really useless which are already enough in this country too). What worth are those legal immigrants ?

We need to clear this mess. But the root cause is our policy rather than illegal immigrants. We may ship the current generation of illegals, but they will be again here if we just deport and don't hold the policy makers responsible.

The society is aging. We need people you like it or not if you want your social security and medicare paid when you are helpless.

Trust that this medicare and social security is going to be a big issue for politicians and to the elderly generation.

Japan is being unable to come out of recession. And it has gradually been realizing its past policy of homogeneity of population and control on immigration.

So, we need to be practical not emotional. Immigration is not bad at all. Immigrants are people just like us trying to better their lives. Most of the anti immigration sentiment is just the race related worries, or your worries about your future in the midst of competent immigrants too. Competition will always be there, trust me.

So far the illegality question is concerned, i again want to raise the issue of a university graduate student who falls out of status because of failing to maintain grade in one subject in one semester and the so called DV-Immigrants.

So, the matter is more to reconsider policies and making the policy makers more responsible than blaming the illegal immigrants.

Last edited by thekingofmemphi; Jul 30th 2002 at 7:13 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2002, 3:20 am
Wife Of Abdias

Default Re: question of illegal immigrants

who is going to work the fields? Skilled labor doesn't do it.

Old Jul 30th 2002, 5:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Wife Of Abdias
who is going to work the fields? Skilled labor doesn't do it.
Neiher do illegals - they all seem to be working in fast food restaurants.
Old Jul 30th 2002, 3:20 pm
Lets Roll

"Wife of Abdias" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > who is going to work the fields? Skilled labor doesn't do it.
    >
    >
are you operating under the misguided impression that illegal aliens only work on
farms? If that is the case, why are 90% of them living in major metropolitan areas
and not in rural areas?

Old Jul 30th 2002, 3:20 pm
Lets Roll

"Pulaski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Wife Of Abdias wrote:
    > > who is going to work the fields? Skilled labor doesn't do it.
    >
    >
    >
    > Neiher do illegals - they all seem to be working in fast food restaurants.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
and road construction crews and residential construction crews and the construction
crew rebuilding the Pentagon and airport security and airport mechanics and even in
the upper ranks of Enron management What is going on in the US isn't "immigration."
It is a US government sponsored invasion.

Old Jul 30th 2002, 5:20 pm
Steve Judson

> What is going on in the US isn't "immigration." It is a US government sponsored
    > invasion.

... and carefully drafted to bring only non-white, not-educated, social welfare
dependants.

Old Jul 30th 2002, 10:20 pm
6feetfromtheedg

Hang on there are plenty WHITE Russian, Ukrainian ...ian ...ian...ian in the welfare
office....Getting brand new houses....and new cars as well and state funded medical
and food stamps. Did I forget to mention the paid education?

Old Jul 30th 2002, 11:20 pm
6feetfromtheedg

I don't live in a big city I only speak what I know!

White guy owns the farm... color works it!

I leave it up to you to tell me what happens in the city.

Old Aug 1st 2002, 5:20 am
Anonymous

number of immigrants that came from ex-USSR is only very small fraction than these
came from Mexico and unsually illegals. I dont have the numbers but I would also
wonder if the percentage of welfare receients would be higher for those people than
for these that came from Mexico for example.

"6feetfromtheedge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%5E19.188897$Wt3.140545@rwcrnsc53...
    > Hang on there are plenty WHITE Russian, Ukrainian ...ian ...ian...ian in the
    > welfare office....Getting brand new houses....and new cars as well and state funded
    > medical and food stamps. Did I forget to mention the paid education?

Old Aug 1st 2002, 3:20 pm
Joe

I am an illegal alien and proud of it. I have been here almost 16 years. I managed to
accumulate 3 college degrees (BS,MS, MBA) in the process. I have a house, several
cars, six-figure income, and I file my tax returns every year. I have exhausted all
my visa channels (F1, H1B, etc.). I **tried** to stay here legally, but the
closed-minded, burcrates in the INS would rather ship my ass back home. Back in the
early 90s, I went through deportation proceedings. I am convinced that the US
Immigration policies encourages illegal immigration. Its easier for professionals
like me to be here illegally then fight a losing battle. It frustrates me to no end
to see unskilled and uneducated be granted permanent residency visas (via amensity,
lottery, etc.) only to end up on welfare, while college educated, highly skilled
professionals are turned away.

thekingofmemphi <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Before blaming the illegal immigrants, we have to reconsider our past policies that
    > created this problem.
    >
    > Let me give you an example: Just recently, I saw one immigrant virtually
    > illiterate, skilless, not having good background record came to US in so called
    > great DV_Lottery program.
    >
    >
    > And I also saw rejection of a real competent CPA's application for student visa for
    > further refinement in one area of his expertise. He was genuine seeker of
    > non-immigrant visa. Even if he came here and managed to prolong his stay here, he
    > would for sure, do it in a legal manner.

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 6:20 am
Americankernel

Sorry for your troubles, Joe.

But your initial illegal acts put you in the same class with the sleazeballs slinking
through the Arizona desert to get here today. It is a hard decsion, but I think that
our policy should only allow you to leave here and return to wherever it was you came
from. You then should get on the list and wait just like everyone else. Them's the
rules and you must realize that the INSTANT you broke the law, you lost any chance of
sympathy from the hard-line, anti-illegal core of Americans that is now getting more
riled up than a French Neo-Nazi right winger about the issue.

You've got about a year...less if we have another terrorist attack...to figure
out where you want to go to get on a LEGAL list. Thems the breaks, buddy.
Lawbreakers usually spew excuses, feel justified and "owed" in some way. They
aren't and you aren't.

Oh, and by the way. I don't care a whole lot about the minute amount of taxes you've
paid when my family and ancestors built the infrastructure you apparently so
skillfully took advantage of. You've got a very long way to go before you catch up in
the "paying for the fundamentals" department. Your taxes may cover a bit of the
public works you use, but they don't cover the cost of setting up the system that
gave you the opportunity. I won't even go into the thought of the possibilities you
may have taken away from American born children who DIDN'T break the law.

Has it occurred to you that there isn't a whole lot of difference between you and the
other hordes of illegals? Has it occurred to you that the education you got may have
taken a slot from a far more worthy American? Don't whine about others who broke the
same laws as you, regardless of any discrepancies in US policy toward certain
sub-groups.

You broke the law. You broke the law. You broke the law. You broke the law. You broke
the law. You broke the law. You broke the law. You broke the law. You broke the law.
You broke the law. You broke the law. You broke the law. You broke the law. You broke
the law. You broke the law. You broke the law. You broke the law. You broke the law.
You broke the law. You broke the law. You broke the law.

And now you have to live with it and don't deserve a bit of my sympathy. "Proud" of
being an illegal! Oh, just kiss my ass!
--
The American Kernel

"Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I am an illegal alien and proud of it. I have been here almost 16 years. I managed
    > to accumulate 3 college degrees (BS,MS, MBA) in the process. I have a house,
    > several cars, six-figure income, and I file my tax returns every year. I have
    > exhausted all my visa channels (F1, H1B, etc.). I **tried** to stay here legally,
    > but the closed-minded, burcrates in the INS would rather ship my ass back home.
    > Back in the early 90s, I went through deportation proceedings. I am convinced that
    > the US Immigration policies encourages illegal immigration. Its easier for
    > professionals like me to be here illegally then fight a losing battle. It
    > frustrates me to no end to see unskilled and uneducated be granted permanent
    > residency visas (via amensity, lottery, etc.) only to end up on welfare, while
    > college educated, highly skilled professionals are turned away.
    >
    >
    > thekingofmemphi <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Before blaming the illegal immigrants, we have to reconsider our past policies
    > > that created this problem.
    > >
    > > Let me give you an example: Just recently, I saw one immigrant virtually
    > > illiterate, skilless, not having good background record came to US in so called
    > > great DV_Lottery program.
    > >
    > >
    > > And I also saw rejection of a real competent CPA's application for student visa
    > > for further refinement in one area of his expertise. He was genuine seeker of
    > > non-immigrant visa. Even if he came here and managed to prolong his stay here, he
    > > would for sure, do it in a legal manner.

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jason C is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Joe
Back in the
early 90s, I went through deportation proceedings.
I'd really like to know how you managed to stay here after once went through deportation proceedings.