Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question on I-864...

Question on I-864...

Old Dec 31st 2001, 11:31 pm
W Newcombe

We will be filing I-130 this week and already we are thinking of the next steps. I've
been reading some of the information on the Affidavit of Support and have a question
regarding the sponsor. I have a unique situation (at least I think it is unique) and
wonder if anyone has a response to my situation.

My wife (USC) and I (Canadian) live together in Canada since our marriage in the U.S.
back in 1999. My wife, the sponsor, meets the criteria for income above 125% of
Poverty level. She crosses the border daily to her job in the US. This year we will
be filing our 3rd IRS income tax return together.

Does anyone know of any exclusion for the requirement to be domiciled in the United
States even though the sponsor's income (who also happens to be the petitioner) is
derived within the US?

Just curious if anyone has come across this situation before. Any response would be
appreciated.

Wes

Old Jan 1st 2002, 6:04 am
Alvena Ferreira

W Newcombe wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
First, ask the consulate and see what they say. Generally, US residence is required
in order to show that there is INTENT to actually make the move. However,there is no
rule that says you cannot use a parent's, relative's, or friend's address as this
proof. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================