Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question for the Home Depot DIY people

Question for the Home Depot DIY people

Old Aug 18th 2005, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question for the Home Depot DIY people

How good are these spray guns. http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...D=9876&pos=p05

I have a popcorn ceiling to paint which takes ages with a roller. These guns look ok close up, but seem a little cheap.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for the Home Depot DIY people

I think I messed the link up.

Old Aug 18th 2005, 10:39 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

They are fine for the homeowner, just make sure you clean it out thoroughly after you use it. The biggest problem is feeling tired and being too lazy to clean it after a hard day painting, next day it doesn't work due to clogged paint.
Doesn't have the coverage of a professional airless sprayer but you would probably only make a mess with a professional airless.
This should work fine for the homeowner. Make sure you ' mask off' for overspray.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 10:44 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I have a popcorn ceiling to paint which takes ages with a roller. These guns look ok close up, but seem a little cheap.
You don't really need to go any further than the parking lot @ Home Depot to secure everything you need for those nasty, labor-intensive jobs. You can manage rather than do, then. And then you don't need to bother with the fancy equipment...
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You don't really need to go any further than the parking lot @ Home Depot to secure everything you need for those nasty, labor-intensive jobs. You can manage rather than do, then. And then you don't need to bother with the fancy equipment...
Yes. Maybe when my yard needs cleaning, but not for the decoration of my bedroom.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Question for the Home Depot DIY people

I bought a paint machine from HD once and after 1 1/2 hour with it the thing burned out........took it back and got my money back.........the problem with cheap paint machines is that they are always breaking down need packings ect........as someone already said it's important to clean them very very well........what is also important is using piston lube on the piston........and THE most important thing is to make sure you filter the paint before using it.........if you only have 1 ceiling to do I would try rolling it but if you have a whole house to do then I would rent one from Sherwin Williams for probably $70........the picture you have shown in your 2nd post I would not give you a dime for that machine.......I have a machine that paints a gallon per minute.......anything less than .6 gallons per minute and your asking for trouble
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

How good are these spray guns. http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...D=9876&pos=p05

We scraped all the popcorn off our ceilings easier to do than paint over it.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 12:12 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I think they are universally shit - based on people's opinion's who know about the subject

scrape off the popcorn and roller if i were you
Old Aug 19th 2005, 12:18 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at a site like www.epinions.com for reviews of that particular product and similar? I'm afraid I don't have any experience of painting except for using a brush.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 19th 2005, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

fubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant future

I'd advise you to not get one..
I had that model specifically for the popcorn ceilings..
The problem with it is when you turn it upside down it (or vetical to spray) it starts spattering so you have to do it at an angle - this is great for throwing paint on most other things in the room. I produces a fine mist which you cannot stop no matter how much masking paper etc. you throw around...

I was so annoyed with it I chucked it away - the cleaning of the thing is a nightmare....

If you have a lot of ceilings to do then speak with the rental department in home depot - they too will tell you not to use the smaller one and rent a large machine with hopper that the pro's use....

If you only have one ceiling, I found a really thick roller with lots of sponge got in all the cracks, and did not caue nearly as much mess....

my eleventy three penneths..

foobs
Old Aug 19th 2005, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

fubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant future

oh and the shoulder pack is a little to be desired!!
the loops on it are so tight it's like wearing one of the wife's bra's and it doesn't feel secure at all.....a bit worrying when there's a gallon of paint in a 'plastic bag' in there....
Old Aug 19th 2005, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fubar
I'd advise you to not get one..
I had that model specifically for the popcorn ceilings..
The problem with it is when you turn it upside down it (or vetical to spray) it starts spattering so you have to do it at an angle - this is great for throwing paint on most other things in the room. I produces a fine mist which you cannot stop no matter how much masking paper etc. you throw around...

I was so annoyed with it I chucked it away - the cleaning of the thing is a nightmare....

If you have a lot of ceilings to do then speak with the rental department in home depot - they too will tell you not to use the smaller one and rent a large machine with hopper that the pro's use....

If you only have one ceiling, I found a really thick roller with lots of sponge got in all the cracks, and did not caue nearly as much mess....

my eleventy three penneths..

foobs

he is only trying to paint it not re-spray or re-popcorn the cieling
Old Aug 19th 2005, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

if you are re-painting all the cielings in you house you want to go to a PAINT shop eg sherwin williams and rent one that looks like this...http://www.o-geepaint.com/Sprayers/Spraytech.shtml

if you are just doing 1 cieling I would try a roller but if the cieling was not primed before the popcorn was put on then repainting the cieling may make the popcorn come off..........I have done it thousands of times .......actually done it today.......not all cielings are the same.......some show stains through even after you paint it......if that happens you need to use a product like KILZ......if you have any problems just pm me and I will let you know what to do
Old Aug 19th 2005, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

sorry that was what I was trying to describe, just a pro paint sprayer not a 're-popper'
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all. I think renting one may be a better option and less hassle. Its a big ceiling space and I don't want the same hassle I had last year while doing the much smaller dinning room ceiling.

PSB, I've used Kilz before and it's magic stuff!.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.