British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Question - electronics related!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/question-electronics-related-468377/)

Wintersong Jul 23rd 2007 6:38 pm

Question - electronics related!!

I've just bought a new camera over here and I'm going back to the UK for 3 weeks next month. Obviously, I'd like to take it with me but it's bulky.

So.... here's the question. If I plug the battery charger in, using a plug converter, on the UK 240V system, will it a) fry the charger, b) fry the battery or c) both a and b.

There's no point lugging it with me if I'm only going to be able to use it til the battery dies. Not sure how much it would cost to buy a UK battery and charger for it (or even if a UK battery would work, though I assume it would), but it's probably not worth the expense. Ideally I'd like to just plug the thing in but not sure what the consequences would be! Anyone tried this? :confused:

fatbrit Jul 23rd 2007 6:49 pm

Re: Question - electronics related!!

On the side of the charger will be a plate that starts "AC Input" and is followed by numbers, letters and squiggles. Write those here.

Wintersong Jul 23rd 2007 6:54 pm

Small problem... it's not here yet :rofl:

Should be arriving later today or tomorrow according to UPS so I'll do it as soon as it comes - cheers :D

Jerseygirl Jul 23rd 2007 7:54 pm

You may get more response if you re-post in The Lab.

Wintersong Jul 23rd 2007 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5095638)
You may get more response if you re-post in The Lab.

Ah yes - I forgot about the addition of the lab! Thanks ;)

Big D Jul 23rd 2007 9:05 pm

if its a modern digital camera it will have a travel charger so will be fine back in the UK - as mentioned check the power pack if it says 110-240 volts you are good to go. On my chargers they often have a detachable cable and i just use a UK figure of 8 cable and they work fine.

As long as the power pack says 110 - 240 then you are fine with an adapter - same rule of thumb for all electronics!

enjoy the camera

Wintersong Jul 23rd 2007 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Big D (Post 5095973)
if its a modern digital camera it will have a travel charger so will be fine back in the UK - as mentioned check the power pack if it says 110-240 volts you are good to go. On my chargers they often have a detachable cable and i just use a UK figure of 8 cable and they work fine.

As long as the power pack says 110 - 240 then you are fine with an adapter - same rule of thumb for all electronics!

enjoy the camera

Thanks - I'll check the charger when it arrives :)

It's a Rebel XTi so if it's standard on newer cameras I would guess it'll be good to go!

Wintersong Jul 23rd 2007 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Big D (Post 5095973)

enjoy the camera

It just arrived and the charger says 100-240V so YAY! :D

Thanks all!