Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question on dual passports, USA - Brazil travel, visa issues

Question on dual passports, USA - Brazil travel, visa issues

Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

dunkie26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question on dual passports, USA - Brazil travel, visa issues

OK, I have an issue, that may be unfixable. I just found out that I need a visa when travelling on my US passport to Brazil from the USA. In the past i always travelled from the UK, just using UK passport.

I also found out that due to the NY brazil visa office being on strike, and the timeframe for turnaround is a week, I basically cannot get this done in time for my meetings.

As a brand new US citizen, now with American and my old British passport, is there the ability for me to flyfrom the usa to Brazil on my British passport, as Brazil does not require a visa for UK citizens?

American Airlines said i needed a visa to travel to brazil from the usa. I then asked the lady to check her system from the UK to Brazil, and it also said I needer a visa, which I believe is incorrect based on the consulate info...

Im guessing Im hosed here, and will have to try and find a way to connect in some other latin american country or something....but any insight appreciated.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on dual passports, USA - Brazil travel, visa issues

Originally Posted by dunkie26 View Post
OK, I have an issue, that may be unfixable. I just found out that I need a visa when travelling on my US passport to Brazil from the USA. In the past i always travelled from the UK, just using UK passport.

I also found out that due to the NY brazil visa office being on strike, and the timeframe for turnaround is a week, I basically cannot get this done in time for my meetings.

As a brand new US citizen, now with American and my old British passport, is there the ability for me to flyfrom the usa to Brazil on my British passport, as Brazil does not require a visa for UK citizens?

American Airlines said i needed a visa to travel to brazil from the usa. I then asked the lady to check her system from the UK to Brazil, and it also said I needer a visa, which I believe is incorrect based on the consulate info...

Im guessing Im hosed here, and will have to try and find a way to connect in some other latin american country or something....but any insight appreciated.
You're still a British citizen so you should still be able to enter and leave Brazil on the British passport (but enter the US with your American passport). IIRC Brazil have exit immigration so you do need to exit with the same passport you entered with. You don't need a visa as a British citizen travelling for less tha 90 days for tourism.

The lady at AA probably didn't know what she was talking about. If you get that problem at check-in, ask to speak to a supervisor. Maybe take a printout of Brazil's entry requirements.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If UK citizens do not need a visa to visit Brazil, then you can use your UK passport to go there. Not sure if you need to do anything else, prior approval of some sort, or if you are OK going there for work purposes, etc.

But it's OK to leave the USA by showing both your UK and US passports, enter Brazil using your UK passport, leave Brazil by showing both UK and US passports, and then enter the USA using your US passport.

My husband has both a US passport and an Iranian passport, and he is able to visit Turkey this way.

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:33 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If it helps put your mind at rest, I agree with GeoffM. When it comes to entering Brazil it is the passport you present to immigration there that counts.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Geoff, thats what I was told by the Brazilian consulate, but they said to double check with American and they said no.

I guess the other question is, for an exit from the USA, if I use my British passport, do they check to see if there was an arrival under the same british passport and would that create some red flag for them? Im guessing no, as their real issue is people coming into the USA.

And if I arrive in the USA under my American passport, do they have any issue that i showed no sign of leaving the usa, when i arrive back?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

lansbury, thanks mate. Brazil doesnt worry me so much as getting out of the US!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

The airline is concerned with whether you'll be turned back at Brazilian immigration which would cause them to find you a seat on the next plane back, and incur a hefty fine. So if you need to "check out" of the US on your American passport then do so, and just show the British one for proof of your ability to travel visa-free. At least that way you'll be "travelling" on the US passport both ways as far as the airline is concerned and US immigration if that's what you're worried about, and simply using the British one at passport control in Brazil both in and out. The problem is overcoming lack of knowledge at the check-in desk in the US. Maybe try calling the call center for AA - more than once if necessary?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

lansbury, thanks mate. Brazil doesnt worry me so much as getting out of the US!
Show the airline both passports, and explain you will be entering Brazil on the British one. If there is a problem at the airport, ask them to look up the visa, or lack of visa, requirements in TIM (Travel Information Manual). It is an IATA manual and should be incorporated into the airlines reservation system.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

And if I arrive in the USA under my American passport, do they have any issue that i showed no sign of leaving the usa, when i arrive back?
No. My husband has never had an issue returning from Turkey on his US passport, after having used his Iranian passport to enter Turkey (no visa required). The POE agent never even asked any questions as to where he's been or for how long.

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

No, they won't care about that and they also won't care about the fact that you won't have any foreign entry stamps in your US passport.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

thanks everyone, for the quick and very helpful responses. I had another ticket to Caracas on hold and a logistics nightmare option as my back-up.

I will cancel that now, with a sigh of relief!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:04 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

There is a long-simmering tension regarding immigration controls between USA and Brazil. For many years the US has required tourist visas for Brazilians entering the USA to combat opportunistic folk who come here to make a quick buck, or stay illegally. Now that Brazil is a lot richer than 20 years ago, this is less of a problem than in the past, but the controls remain, despite Brazil having formally asked to have them removed. Brazil retaliates tit-for-tat by requiring Americans to have a visa to enter Brazil.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 12:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Show the US passport and UK passport at check in.

Use the Brit passport to enter Brazil.

To the quick buck thing, it is a real problem, though I don't get why. The big one is folks coming here to buy Victoria Secret perfumes and underwear and then re-selling it in Brazil, in fake VS stores, because there aren't any legit stores down there. There's even some kind of declaration form that folks who buy large quantities from the stores have to sign stating that they aren't for resell purposes....don't know how they'd enforce it mind, but they do.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
There is a long-simmering tension regarding immigration controls between USA and Brazil. For many years the US has required tourist visas for Brazilians entering the USA to combat opportunistic folk who come here to make a quick buck, or stay illegally. Now that Brazil is a lot richer than 20 years ago, this is less of a problem than in the past, but the controls remain, despite Brazil having formally asked to have them removed. Brazil retaliates tit-for-tat by requiring Americans to have a visa to enter Brazil.
There is a good chance that Brazil will become part of the visa waiver program within the relatively near future:
http://www.ustravel.org/news/press-r...g-group-brazil
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

At the AA checkin counter they will swipe or scan your UKP, then screen will show no visa required. Your passport details will be transmitted to Brazilian authorities. You arrive Rio, Sao Paulo; you leave on the same UKP.

Iff on return the Immigrations Officer notices for the discrepancy (APIS data), explain to him/her than you used your UKP because there was no time to get a visa on your USP.