Reload this Page >

A question about US mail to temporary address

A question about US mail to temporary address

Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Rubee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A question about US mail to temporary address

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I wonder if anyone can help me out ...

I will be on business in California for a couple of months and I will be staying in a temporary rental condo (normally used for vacation accommodation). I have been told by the agent that I will be issued the condo's mailbox key.

Can anybody tell me if the mail addressed to me at the condo's address will be delivered by the US post office? Will I have to inform the local US post office of my residence in the condo, and show some sort proof that I reside at the condo's address?

Will renting a mailbox at the local US be a better option in order to receive mail securely ... as I will be expecting some important mail (FEDEX signed for mail) during my stay in the US.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 12:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about US mail to temporary address

If you move, you fill in a form online or at a post office to get mail redirected, it's no problem.

Mail in a mailbox at a condo won't be any different to mail at a home really, it sits in a box, but probably more secure in that it is locked.

If you're going to be moving around lots, it might be worth getting a post box, but generally that's a waste of money.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Can you use your business address? Or are you working out of the condo instead of an office?
Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rubee
Can anybody tell me if the mail addressed to me at the condo's address will be delivered by the US post office?
I live in a condo, and I get my mail via USPS (US Postal Service). So I'd say "yes".

Will I have to inform the local US post office of my residence in the condo, and show some sort proof that I reside at the condo's address?
It might help the mail carrier if you put a sticky note inside the mailbox with your name (and any other name you might be receiving mail under). But you don't have to go into the post office, no.

Will renting a mailbox at the local US be a better option in order to receive mail securely ... as I will be expecting some important mail (FEDEX signed for mail) during my stay in the US.
I wouldn't say a PO Box is more secure, no, and it would mean having to stop by the mailbox every day rather than having it near your front door.

FedEx is different, though, it has nothing to do with the US Postal Service. However, Fed Ex should also be able to deliver to your condo street address with no problem. You'll have to be home to sign for it, of course. If you get a PO Box, you can't use it for Fed Ex deliveries.

Rene
Old Jun 30th 2012, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Wow ... I didn't think that I would get any response to my 'trivial' question. Thanks 'guys', you've been a great help.

Reading your posts, it seems that the US postal system will deliver the mail regardless of who it is addressed to - just like the UK?

Bob - I won't be moving within the US. I will stay in the condo for the full duration. I won't need post to be redirected from the UK or within the US ... just an address to receive new mail (from both the UK and the US) during my stay.

Yellowroom - I will be working from my temporary rental condo, so I will need to use it's address (if possible) to receive my mail.

Noorah - thanks for your great suggestion about putting a sticky note inside the mail box ... at least the regular mail carrier will be aware of my existence and won't dump the mail somewhere else! You have also confirmed to me that I won't be able use a Post Office mail box for Fedex deliveries.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 6:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be working from my temporary rental condo, so I will need to use it's address (if possible) to receive my mail.
This is not what you were asking about, but just to make sure...you have an appropriate visa to be working inside the USA for a 2-month period, right?

Rene
Old Jun 30th 2012, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rene,

I am self-employed in the UK and the work (using the internet and mail) I will be doing is for UK clients and so not classified as working in the US. I am technically on vacation, but I need to continue doing some of my work to keep my UK clients happy until I return. I may have mislead you by saying that I am 'on business' in the US ... apologies!

Thanks again for your help.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene,

I am self-employed in the UK and the work (using the internet and mail) I will be doing is for UK clients and so not classified as working in the US. I am technically on vacation, but I need to continue doing some of my work to keep my UK clients happy until I return. I may have mislead you by saying that I am 'on business' in the US ... apologies!

If you're in the US, you need work authorisation to do it, regardless of who you do the work for and the pay.

Replying to the odd email and taking the odd phone call is okay, but doing any sales etc, no. Though you don't say what the work is, so you're only getting general advice.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:57 am

Hi Rene,

If you're on vacation and only answering an email here and there, you're probably OK. But if you're in the USA to meet clients and do 2 months of solid day to day work, that's not OK...even though you're being paid in the UK.

I don't know, it just seems odd to say "I'll be on business for 2 months" and then change it to "oops, I meant vacation".

Rene
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys for your advice.

I will be doing a few emails, posting and receiving a few mails (hence the reason for my original post), now and then. I don't have any clients in the US and I am not doing sales work.

All the best, and thanks again for your time.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:45 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance for your help.
There's some provision, I think of the Patriot Act that requires you to prove who you are when you get a PO box, whether it is done by USPS or anyone else. There's a USPS form that has to be filled in.

The problem with USPS isn't forwarding, it's forwarding to a foreign address, basically it is impossible as far as I can tell, you have to use a private PO box and they will do it.

The other problem is junk mail, you might think to yourself "ah, I'm only going to be getting a couple of pieces of mail so I'll let it just sit in the mailbox at the condo"

Wrong - within a week it will be bulging at the seams with junk mail and under Federal law USPS is required to deliver it, you cannot stop it, there is no way. As soon as you're registered at that address, that is it, your mailbox is full immediately.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you're in the US, you need work authorisation to do it, regardless of who you do the work for and the pay.
Keep seeing this stated on this forum all the time, it's not accurate, you can perform various types of work in the US as a B-1 visitor or on the VWB. Read Matter of Hira.

Off some US Govt. website:

A B1/B2 visa allows you to travel to the United States for a short period to conduct certain kinds of business or business-related activities. This can include, but is not limited to, visiting clients; conducting business meetings and negotiations; attending a conference; participating in a convention or trade show; settling an estate; installing, servicing, or repairing equipment for clients in the United States; certain speaking engagements; and some short term research for which the applicant does not receive pay. To be sure that your purpose of travel is included under a B1/B2 visa, confirm with the company or institution that is inviting you or that is sending you. For example, while short term training, such as a three-week course, may be included under a B1/B2 visa, a longer course lasting nine months would not.
You can be paid by people in the US for some of the things listed there, it's not particularly well-worded. E.g. if you're doing an installation or repair, or a speaking engagement.

Plus you can certainly be paid by the entity you're working for that is outside the US.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Steve_
Wrong - within a week it will be bulging at the seams with junk mail and under Federal law USPS is required to deliver it, you cannot stop it, there is no way. As soon as you're registered at that address, that is it, your mailbox is full immediately.
You can register your address to get off the junk mailing lists, but like the do not call registry, it doesn't stop people you already deal with from sending you junk.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_
Keep seeing this stated on this forum all the time, it's not accurate, you can perform various types of work in the US as a B-1 visitor or on the VWB. Read Matter of Hira.

Off some US Govt. website:

You can be paid by people in the US for some of the things listed there, it's not particularly well-worded. E.g. if you're doing an installation or repair, or a speaking engagement.

Plus you can certainly be paid by the entity you're working for that is outside the US.
Yes, I would agree with that. I used to come on business and would declare it so at immigration. Never had a problem with it.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Bob
You can register your address to get off the junk mailing lists, but like the do not call registry, it doesn't stop people you already deal with from sending you junk.
I've never had much luck, I tried that DMA thing once it didn't seem to have much effect. USPS told me to contact each company individually which I did try and do with some of them, still no effect really.

The only method I've ever used with any success was to get a PO box at the UPS store and ask them to bin it for me.

The real bloody joke in the US is the "do not call list", what a farce. As demonstrated here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.