British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Question about a UK Passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/question-about-uk-passport-314090/)

Pete&Shan Jul 15th 2005 2:37 pm

Question about a UK Passport

Hi all,

My husband is emigrating to the US with me (US Citizen) and we were wondering if he is allowed to put an american address on his british passort??? We are selling our house in England and were wondering what address we should put on the passport once we move

Thank you!

Shan

AmerLisa Jul 15th 2005 2:40 pm

Re: Question about a UK Passport

Are there addresses in passports? Seriously...I will have to go and look. I didn't know that. My British husband hasn't changed anything in his passport. So I'll be interested to know myself.

BrandonBrit Jul 15th 2005 2:45 pm

The only addresses I have in the back of my passport (UK) are the one's needed to contact people if something happens...mind you, mine is up for renewal in a few more years, so I don't know what the fancy new ones look like.

NC Penguin Jul 16th 2005 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Pete&Shan
Hi all,

My husband is emigrating to the US with me (US Citizen) and we were wondering if he is allowed to put an american address on his british passort??? We are selling our house in England and were wondering what address we should put on the passport once we move

Thank you!

Shan

I suppose you're referring to the inside back page of the British passport. If you're moving to the US, it makes sense to put contact information of people who'll be easily contactable in emergencies. So, if you're living in the US, American contacts would be preferable.

NC Penguin

JAJ Jul 16th 2005 5:28 pm

Hi all,

Thank you!

Shan

The UK won't care about what address you put there.

Have you got British citizenship yourself? If not, have you thought about applying for naturalisation before leaving the UK, assuming you are eligible.

Jeremy

AmerLisa Jul 16th 2005 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ

Have you got British citizenship yourself? If not, have you thought about applying for naturalisation before leaving the UK, assuming you are eligible.

Jeremy

I totally agree with this. This was the stupidest thing I didn't do before we left the UK. :rolleyes:

Pete&Shan Jul 17th 2005 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I totally agree with this. This was the stupidest thing I didn't do before we left the UK. :rolleyes:

My husband had mentioned the address in his passport, but not checked - it is only the one on the back for emergency's so it is not big deal to change that so forget the origihnal question!!!

I have not lived here long enough to get residence. I have another year to go on my two year limited leave to remain stamp. Not sure how soon they let you change that to permanent leave to remain, and if our plans to get to eh U.S. slow down, I will try and get the permanent stamp, but probably would have to start all over again if we relocated back to the UK, but I doubt that will happen. I will certainly be an expert at what forms to fill in if we do!

Thanks all!

JAJ Jul 17th 2005 5:00 pm

I have not lived here long enough to get residence. I have another year to go on my two year limited leave to remain stamp. Not sure how soon they let you change that to permanent leave to remain, and if our plans to get to eh U.S. slow down, I will try and get the permanent stamp, but probably would have to start all over again if we relocated back to the UK, but I doubt that will happen. I will certainly be an expert at what forms to fill in if we do!

Thanks all!

One thing you need to be aware of is that the 3 year residence requirement for spouses of British citizens (to naturalise) just has to be *legal* residence. If you get indefinite leave to remain and already have 3 years in the UK, you can normally apply for naturalisation immediately.

Jeremy