British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Question about UK driving licence in the U.S (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/question-about-uk-driving-licence-u-s-759131/)

AbbeyR94 May 22nd 2012 11:39 am

Question about UK driving licence in the U.S

Hello everyone I have a question regarding driving on a UK driving licence in the states, just as an overview of my situation i'm currently living in the UK, I'm a full time student and have been planning on relocating to Houston, TX with my family during the summer as my father has been transfered to another company over there, anyway all of our visa's and legal documents are sorted to move.( Can't wait!!:thumbsup:) I have just recently passed my theory test and am sitting my practical driving test mid June (which i hope to pass first time!) and I would like to know if I would be able to drive and get insured on my parents car straight away when i move to Houston without my licence and use the pass certificate the DSA or DVLA give you once you have passed as they take up to a couple of weeks to issue the full licence, otherwise I have to put off the move for a couple of more weeks to wait for my licence to come through the post. A few more questions I have is : If I am aloud to use my pass certificate will it supply the correct information to allow me to be insured? If I get pulled over by the police will they accept it?
Thanks in advance
Abbey :)

lisa67 May 22nd 2012 12:03 pm

Re: Question about UK driving licence in the U.S

Originally Posted by AbbeyR94 (Post 10075462)
Hello everyone I have a question regarding driving on a UK driving licence in the states, just as an overview of my situation i'm currently living in the UK, I'm a full time student and have been planning on relocating to Houston, TX with my family during the summer as my father has been transfered to another company over there, anyway all of our visa's and legal documents are sorted to move.( Can't wait!!:thumbsup:) I have just recently passed my theory test and am sitting my practical driving test mid June (which i hope to pass first time!) and I would like to know if I would be able to drive and get insured on my parents car straight away when i move to Houston without my licence and use the pass certificate the DSA or DVLA give you once you have passed as they take up to a couple of weeks to issue the full licence, otherwise I have to put off the move for a couple of more weeks to wait for my licence to come through the post. A few more questions I have is : If I am aloud to use my pass certificate will it supply the correct information to allow me to be insured? If I get pulled over by the police will they accept it?
Thanks in advance

Hi Abbey and welcome to BE.
I'm not sure what information is on the pass certificate so can't really comment on whether this will be sufficient for you to use as soon as you move over.
Getting your US license is relatively easy but you will need to take a US test.
Google Texas driving license and find the web site. It will tell you what you have to take with you to the license center (passport including visa will be needed as well as your I94) you can only drive on your Uk license for a certain amount of time, I can't remember the exact amount.

As for insurance, it's different here than the UK. It's the vehicle that's insured so if you get permission from the vehicles owner then you can drive their car. If you are living in the same house (like with your parents) then they can call their insurers and get them to put you on their insurance but I'm not sure whether you'll need your US license to do this but the insurers will tell you.

:)

Found the web site...
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/

civilservant May 22nd 2012 12:07 pm

My understanding is you would have to produce a fuil license upon request by an officer, and to not be carrying said document is an offense. Therefore my suspicion would be that your test past document would be insufficent to be lawful - not to mention gettting insured when you cannot provide a license number.

I wait to be corrected however.

Bangers&Mash May 22nd 2012 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by AbbeyR94 (Post 10075462)
Thanks in advance

I don't know about Texas but in Connecticut you need a "Full" UK License which is only good for 90 days, during that time you are expected to take & pass your test (I think it's the same everywhere). I don't think they will accept the pass certificate. When I took my US Test they wanted to take my UK Lisense away from me!! I had to kick up a right stink to keep it.

As lisa67 says it's the vehicle that is insured not the driver. Your age will also come into play if your parents put you on their policy. It's possible in some states to list you as a "part time driver" thus lowering the $$ needed to add you.

Good Luck

Weeze May 22nd 2012 1:25 pm

Yep 90 days in Texas too.
Honestly don't know about your pass certificate. I would say though, it can be a pain the backside at the test centres anyway without an added complication. Even if you found somewhere that said they could accept it, if you are only talking about a fortnights difference, I'd wait for the full license to arrive.

Bob May 22nd 2012 3:04 pm

You will need to take the test in full when you're in the US.

If you have a full UK license, you might then be allowed to take the US state license without full filling the learner requirements, but that would depend on the state, some still require it, especially if under 21 or with less than 3 years driving experience.

Either way, with a full UK license, you'll be able to drive in Texas until you get a local license.

The insurance, don't know about Texas, but in many states, anyone of driving age whether they have a license or not living in the household have to be included on the insurance regardless. Down my way, that's till they are 21 at least.

AbbeyR94 May 22nd 2012 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 10075492)
Hi Abbey and welcome to BE.
I'm not sure what information is on the pass certificate so can't really comment on whether this will be sufficient for you to use as soon as you move over.
Getting your US license is relatively easy but you will need to take a US test.
Google Texas driving license and find the web site. It will tell you what you have to take with you to the license center (passport including visa will be needed as well as your I94) you can only drive on your Uk license for a certain amount of time, I can't remember the exact amount.

As for insurance, it's different here than the UK. It's the vehicle that's insured so if you get permission from the vehicles owner then you can drive their car. If you are living in the same house (like with your parents) then they can call their insurers and get them to put you on their insurance but I'm not sure whether you'll need your US license to do this but the insurers will tell you.

:)

Found the web site...
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/

Thank you for the reply :) and yes I am well aware that I can drive x amounts of days (90 i think) in the U.S until I take my US driving test thats no bother and I will have to read up on the requirements to take the TX driving test. As for the insurance my father whom lives in Houston has already bought a car and is insured on it and he has UK licence so that musnt be a problem but like me he will have to do a driving test there for his TX licence. I suppose i will have to wait in the UK for my full licence to come through when I do eventually pass which will allow me to get driving straight away and used to the roads :thumbsup:.
Thanks once again for the help :)
Abbey