Reload this Page >

Question about social security number

Question about social security number

Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:17 am
Just Joined

lightspirited will become famous soon enough
Default Question about social security number

Hello,
I moved from London to Hood River, Oregon two months ago. I was accepted as as a resident due to my wife being american. In that time I have received 4 welcome to the usa letters and an id card. I was under the assumption that my social security card would be sent to me automatically. Should I wait it out or would a trip to the local office help? Or is my assumption completely wrong and should I of chased it up before the jet lag wore off? I'm dieing to get one as I am wanting to get a drivers licence.
Many thanks!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about social security number

Originally Posted by lightspirited
Hello,
I moved from London to Hood River, Oregon two months ago. I was accepted as as a resident due to my wife being american. In that time I have received 4 welcome to the usa letters and an id card. I was under the assumption that my social security card would be sent to me automatically. Should I wait it out or would a trip to the local office help? Or is my assumption completely wrong and should I of chased it up before the jet lag wore off? I'm dieing to get one as I am wanting to get a drivers licence.
Many thanks!
Go to http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html
Print out the form ..fill it in ...
Take the SS-5 to the nearest Social Security office. Be sure to take the originals or certified copies of your supporting documents along with the form. Spend hours in a queue ...and eventually they will see you... and in a week or so your SSN will be sent to you ...
Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:40 am
Just Joined

lightspirited will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the speedy reply Ray.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 5:04 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Follow Ray's advice, and then drink the town out of Full Sail.

(Welcome)
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:06 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Follow Ray's advice, and then drink the town out of Full Sail.

(Welcome)
Ditto! Who were the "welcome" letters from? Yeah, I'm nosey.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Ditto! Who were the "welcome" letters from? Yeah, I'm nosey.
The USCIS ..who else cares ...
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
His Mum?
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
And assuming that the id card is the green card which I hope he makes a copy of and puts the copy in a safe place and that he remembers to carry his "id" card with him as per federal regulations. And also, if he is a CPR rather than an LPR, that he was told about having to remove the conditions at the appropriate time.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
And assuming that the id card is the green card which I hope he makes a copy of and puts the copy in a safe place and that he remembers to carry his "id" card with him as per federal regulations. And also, if he is a CPR rather than an LPR, that he was told about having to remove the conditions at the appropriate time.
I know I should but I never carry my GC unless I am travelling outside the US...I'm afraid of losing it.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lightspirited
Hello,
Many thanks!
Hi, if you came here as a spouse then I assume you checked the little box on the paperwork to have the SSN generated automatically. It doesn't seem to work for most of us--I did the same, waited and then had to pop over to the local office. Should have done that straight away.

Go to your local office with your passport and ID card, they'll enter your info in the system (and check to see if they can find you, which they probably will be able to do), you'll sign a form, and you'll get the number within a week.

I got multiple welcome letters, too. Not sure why--probably the IRS ensuring we're on their books...!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
And yes, do as Rete says: check your conditions if you are CPR and make a copy of your ID card. Keep it safe. I know some who carry the copy with them and keep the original at home, but we're supposed to carry the original (don't tell...I carry the copy unless I go abroad. A friend had his wallet knicked when he was visiting the UK and luckily had a copy with him).
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

But the real question is, what happened with all the old booze?!

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:03 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Hi, if you came here as a spouse then I assume you checked the little box on the paperwork to have the SSN generated automatically. It doesn't seem to work for most of us--I did the same, waited and then had to pop over to the local office. Should have done that straight away.

Go to your local office with your passport and ID card, they'll enter your info in the system (and check to see if they can find you, which they probably will be able to do), you'll sign a form, and you'll get the number within a week.

I got multiple welcome letters, too. Not sure why--probably the IRS ensuring we're on their books...!
I'm moving to Colorado soon (hopefully) with a CR1, would I be able to apply for a SSN before my green card arrives?
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
I'm moving to Colorado soon (hopefully) with a CR1, would I be able to apply for a SSN before my green card arrives?
the card shouldn't take that long to arrive, and you need to show it to get the SSN I think, don't know if your approval letter would do or not.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:19 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
the card shouldn't take that long to arrive, and you need to show it to get the SSN I think, don't know if your approval letter would do or not.

I was thinking that maybe the US stamp that you get on your passport would be enough to apply for a SSN before the green card arrives?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.