Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question about recording UK tv programmes

Question about recording UK tv programmes

Old Apr 14th 2004, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Question about recording UK tv programmes

Hi I am just wondering if this is possible - a couple of my friends have offered to record the omnibus episodes of my fave soaps (sad I know hehe ) - and send them over once or twice a month - I am just wondering if they will work tho.....

I know I bought a video tape over there last year that works in my UK video but not sure if it goes the other way too.

Thanks!

Getting excited now - last day at work today
Old Apr 14th 2004, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Exciting isn't it??

When do you fly out??
Old Apr 14th 2004, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Just booked a flight for next Wednesday (21st) - once again I've taken a chance - but I don't have much choice as I MUST start work on the following Monday and need a few days to get a car and my apt sorted out.

I was at the Embassy on the 8th and they said 5 working days (not inc Easter) to me for the visa - so I am figuring counting Tue-Fri as 4 and then Mon as 5 - then I should get it on Tuesday. I hope !!! :scared:

I managed to get my flight with Air Miles and I am just waiting on Aberdeen Airport coming back to me with permission for my cats to fly with me !

I am trying to think of all the things I should pack and CDs I should buy that I can't get out there LOL - like Maltesers and Munchies lol.

When do you guys leave? Where is it you're off to again?
Old Apr 14th 2004, 12:06 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

What visa are you coming over on?

Just in case you don't already know this, your very first thing to do after arriving is to go to a Social Security office with your passport/visa and apply for a Social Security number. My husband did on the day of arrival....after a 22 hour flight we dumped our suitcases in the serviced apartment, crashed for an hour then straight off to the SS office - he just looked it up in the Yellow Pages!

You don't exist in the States without a Social Security number.

It took about a week to arrive....hope you have an address!

I have a feeling your videos won't work unless you have a multi-system TV which accepts the UK PAL signals.....but someone else here will know for sure.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Englishmum
What visa are you coming over on?
A J-1 for 18 months - but if things work out my employers are hoping to sponsor me for an H1B.

I get in late on Wednesday night - so first port of call is to pick up apt keys on Thursday am and straight down to the SS office!

Thanks!
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:30 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

You can find your local Social Security office here...
http://s00dace.ssa.gov/pro/fol/fol-home.html

Good luck flying out. I took my two cats with me and they were fine.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Question about recording UK tv programmes

Originally posted by Lesley1020
Hi I am just wondering if this is possible - a couple of my friends have offered to record the omnibus episodes of my fave soaps (sad I know hehe ) - and send them over once or twice a month - I am just wondering if they will work tho.....

I know I bought a video tape over there last year that works in my UK video but not sure if it goes the other way too.

Thanks!

Getting excited now - last day at work today
No, they will not viewable in the US unless you buy a PAL to NTSC converter.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:58 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!
No, they will not viewable in the US unless you buy a PAL to NTSC converter.
Could you explain that in idiot language (for the technically challenged) please? My wife would also like to be able to view Spanish TV shows (recorded in Spain on a European VCR) on our American TV/VCR.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ironporer
Could you explain that in idiot language (for the technically challenged) please? My wife would also like to be able to view Spanish TV shows (recorded in Spain on a European VCR) on our American TV/VCR.

The following is an excerpt from WHATIS.COM concerning the technical difference between a PAL and NTSC system:

The NTSC (National Television Standards Committee) was responsible for developing, in 1953, a set of standard protocols for television (TV) broadcast transmission and reception in the United States. Other standards were adopted in the rest of the world. The NTSC standards have not changed significantly since their inception, except for the addition of new parameters for color signals. NTSC signals are not directly compatible with computer systems.

An NTSC TV image has 525 horizontal lines per frame (complete screen image). These lines are scanned from left to right, and from top to bottom. Every other line is skipped. Thus it takes two screen scans to complete a frame: one scan for the odd-numbered horizontal lines, and another scan for the even-numbered lines. Each half-frame screen scan takes approximately 1/60 of a second; a complete frame is scanned every 1/30 second. This alternate-line scanning system is known as interlacing.

PAL is short for Phase Alternating Line, the dominant television standard in Europe. The United States uses a different standard, NTSC. Whereas NTSC delivers 525 lines of resolution at 60 half-frames per second, PAL delivers 625 lines at 50 half-frames per second. Many video adapters that enable computer monitors to be used as television screens support both NTSC and PAL signals.

So basically... it is recorded on a different format, one will not play on the other...... You can buy a vcr that plays both formats though for a little more money...

The following is a link thats show the format for each country.
http://avconvert.com/video/world_tel...standards.html
Old Apr 14th 2004, 3:40 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by honeymommy
The following is an excerpt from WHATIS.COM concerning the technical difference between a PAL and NTSC system:

The NTSC (National Television Standards Committee) was responsible for developing, in 1953, a set of standard protocols for television (TV) broadcast transmission and reception in the United States. Other standards were adopted in the rest of the world. The NTSC standards have not changed significantly since their inception, except for the addition of new parameters for color signals. NTSC signals are not directly compatible with computer systems.

An NTSC TV image has 525 horizontal lines per frame (complete screen image). These lines are scanned from left to right, and from top to bottom. Every other line is skipped. Thus it takes two screen scans to complete a frame: one scan for the odd-numbered horizontal lines, and another scan for the even-numbered lines. Each half-frame screen scan takes approximately 1/60 of a second; a complete frame is scanned every 1/30 second. This alternate-line scanning system is known as interlacing.

PAL is short for Phase Alternating Line, the dominant television standard in Europe. The United States uses a different standard, NTSC. Whereas NTSC delivers 525 lines of resolution at 60 half-frames per second, PAL delivers 625 lines at 50 half-frames per second. Many video adapters that enable computer monitors to be used as television screens support both NTSC and PAL signals.

So basically... it is recorded on a different format, one will not play on the other...... You can buy a vcr that plays both formats though for a little more money...

The following is a link thats show the format for each country.
http://avconvert.com/video/world_tel...standards.html
Thank you very much, now seems like it's time to google for one of those bi-modal VCR's.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

If you're thinking East Enders or Corrie... then you need not bother with a Video... simply get a decent internet connection here and download them... they are normally available the day after they were shown.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 5:56 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by USBound
If you're thinking East Enders or Corrie... then you need not bother with a Video... simply get a decent internet connection here and download them... they are normally available the day after they were shown.
Link please
Old Apr 14th 2004, 5:58 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

Also what is defined as "decent internet connection" I have dsl at home and T1 at work.

Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2004, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.slr.tzo.com:6969/

a decent connectin....hmm... well if you get more than about 20Kb/second you'll be fine for downloading these overnight.

I get around 200-300Kb (slowest connection I could get) from most of these... note.. its Bittorrent... need to install the bittorrent app before attempting to download.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 6:30 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

Talking

http://www.slr.tzo.com:6969/

a decent connectin....hmm... well if you get more than about 20Kb/second you'll be fine for downloading these overnight.

I get around 200-300Kb (slowest connection I could get) from most of these... note.. its Bittorrent... need to install the bittorrent app before attempting to download.
Thank you

If this works, I will be able to blackmail my husband to do all the housework etc. in return for corrie a couple of times a week!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.