Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question about owing monies in the UK..

Question about owing monies in the UK..

Old Sep 30th 2003, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
I completly agree, this way you burn all your bridges and it will be impossible for you to ever return to the UK. Its the best course of action, this way you are forced to stay in the USA as you will be well and truly ****ed if you ever return home. Maybe you should go the whole hog and write a letter to the Queen telling her to shove a corgi up her arse!

Woohoo, lets hear it for people who don't stand up and face their responsibilities and leave the burden to everyone else!

Patrick
This has to be the best reply I have ever read!
Old Sep 30th 2003, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree that you never know when it may come back and bit you in the arse. One thing I have learnt is never say never, because you don't know what the future holds, so pay the card off and live without any guilt.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 8:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you going through such a complicated process to pay your credit card bills? Why don't you just send them checks drawn on a U.S. bank?

I did what you've been doing for years, paying awful exchange rates, bank charges, etc., then a woman from Barckaycard just happened to mention "Oh, you can just send a U.S. check". Doh!

Anyway, that's what I do now, and I get a good exchange rate from them, too. Seems too good to be true, but it is (true, I mean).

Have to say, I agree with Patrick, too.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:17 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Why cant you transfer your balance onto to US credit card? We just got a Chase Credit Card and I transfered my other balance onto it, why can't you do that, then at least your debt would be in the same the country.

OK it's not as sarcastic as the last one but I thought I should at least throw one sensible idea into the pot before I start abusing people again.

Patrick
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

paul6831h is an unknown quantity at this point
Default debts

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have recently been divorced and had to take on a loan to clear the debts incured during the marriage, My ex had never worked so the debtas incurred were in my name the amount incluing interest is approx £50,000. I have now met someone in the US and we are going through the K1 process. I just wondered what the consiquences would be if I did not pay any of this off,( I know it is morally wrong ) but there is no way I can pay this before leaving. I do not have anything major to sell to clear this. would it have any effect on my visa application or on any possibillity of obtaining work in the US?. I do not envisage being able to get a job straight away.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:39 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: debts

Originally posted by paul6831h
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have recently been divorced and had to take on a loan to clear the debts incured during the marriage, My ex had never worked so the debtas incurred were in my name the amount incluing interest is approx £50,000. I have now met someone in the US and we are going through the K1 process. I just wondered what the consiquences would be if I did not pay any of this off,( I know it is morally wrong ) but there is no way I can pay this before leaving. I do not have anything major to sell to clear this. would it have any effect on my visa application or on any possibillity of obtaining work in the US?. I do not envisage being able to get a job straight away.
If you end up as a perm resident in the US i would suggest bankruptcy or insolvency. It would legally clear your UK debts and has a minimal effect in the US. Once its done and discharged you just have a shitty UK credit record for 6 years. I would not suggest just ignoring it or defaulting as its large enough sum to be worth chasing you to the US for and they could if they wanted to sue you the US courts(in most states).

regards,

Duncan
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:04 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
Maybe you should go the whole hog and write a letter to the Queen telling her to shove a corgi up her arse!
Patrick
Yes I'm sure pissing of Britains answer to the Walmart greeter would get one exiled.
Old May 4th 2004, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Susanna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tony_2003
Yes I'm sure pissing of Britains answer to the Walmart greeter would get one exiled.

Just going threw old posts.
Surely you would not get granted PR or be app roved to live here if you owed debts in another country and the INS found out about it?
Because they would think that you were of bad character and may do the same here?

Old May 4th 2004, 3:03 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about owing monies in the UK..

Originally posted by mrloofer
This is just out of curiosity...

Been living in the USA for 4 years, getting married next year, have a child with US citizen. Basically, I'm not planning on returning to the UK....EVER!

I have a credit card from a UK bank that I've been paying off since being here. I have to go through a painfull process of putting money into a seperate bank acount and then have it DD over every month.

A friend of mine here was curious as to why I hadn't just stopped paying and let them put me in collection since I am never going back and that there is nothing it will do except leave a black mark on my Uk credit history (one that worsens each year I stay out of the country).

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
They don't tell you at Barclaycard customer service, but their collections department can charge a "purchase" to one of your US cards to pay a UK Barclaycard VISA off. It shows up as a store purchase on your american credit card bill.

If I had known this at an earlier date I wouldn't have bothered going through the tortuous business of maintaing a UK account just for this purpose.

Call your card's collections department and ask them about it.
Old May 4th 2004, 5:35 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

man, this post is an old one!....I even had a right laugh at my reply to this, it seems Patrick and I actually agreed on something for a change......strange i calls it.
Old May 4th 2004, 5:57 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Susanna
Just going threw old posts.
Surely you would not get granted PR or be app roved to live here if you owed debts in another country and the INS found out about it?
Because they would think that you were of bad character and may do the same here?

INS dont give a toss about your debts as long as no criminality is involved.
Old May 4th 2004, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Susanna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Duncs

Hi Duncs
So what we are saying is? that you can take out loans in other countrys and not pay them back ie do a runner and they won't hold that agianst you ummmmmmmm.(hyperthetically speaking)

So why did they guy on another thread the one who came into the US wife on Holiday get stopped at the POE with Interpol search out for him it was only like $5,000 I believe.

So what constitutes a Crime in Debt form?

Sorry it was me who bumped this thread, had insomnia last night.

Old May 4th 2004, 7:19 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Susanna
So why did they guy on another thread the one who came into the US wife on Holiday get stopped at the POE with Interpol search out for him it was only like $5,000 I believe.
Because that post IMO was horseshit.
Old May 4th 2004, 8:07 pm
Moderated

matt_in_philly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Duncs
That's very true. Your debt is a CIVIL MATTER not a criminal matter (in the UK of course). It may be different in different countries. Perhaps that situation caused the detention of aforementioned person. For example in Turkey if you owe the state more than some certain amount in business taxes, they freeze your right to leave the country until you settle the debt or aggree on a payment plan.

And the debt you have in the UK doesn't mean anything here or elsewhere (vice versa).

Even if you stayed in the UK and still didn't pay off your debt, after 5 years you'd have no problems whatsoever with obtaining credit cards or loans. I know quite a few people who were in debt upto their neck and never even filed bankruptcy. They all had credit cards from Barclays and Lloyds right after 5 years.

PS. If your credit is a mess but you're working and can provide 3 most recent payslips then you can always get upto 5000-6000 quid from Beneficial in the UK. They're always dying to give loans to anybody as long as they're employed. That's how I established credit in England and I helped at least 4 friends of mine to get personal loans from Beneficial. They all had messed up credit. And the APR was only a few points more than Barclays or Lloyds.
Old May 4th 2004, 10:04 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by matt_in_philly
That's very true. Your debt is a CIVIL MATTER not a criminal matter (in the UK of course). It may be different in different countries.
As far as the news reported this story the debt was in Qatar and they had informed interpol about the'crime' and the chap was detained because his passport was flagged.

Anyway back to debt, the worst that can happen to you is that you would have a County Court Judgement set against you and if you fail to pay that then your creditor could take enforcement action at worst this would mean enforced bankruptcy most likely garnishing of your earnings or seizure of assets to the value of.
The more common route is they would sell your debt on to debt collectors and keep adding more charges each time they sell it on, reason being if they take you to court they can't keep adding charges to your bill.
Don't kid yourself they would help you by offering lower payments for free, they keep cranking up the charges.
They already bill everyone for bad debt it is worked into the fees at the start.
They will usually accept 50% of balance with no damage to your credit rating as it would be in full and final settlement.
Offer what you borrowed as a settlement then you would have a clear conscience.
Personally I would **** them off they wouldn't give a shit about you and yours. You would still be able to return to the UK despite what others think you wouldn't go to jail and can still live here in the UK. I'm sure their shoulders are broad enough to carry the burden of the extra debt.