Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A question about honey...

A question about honey...

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of
Default A question about honey...

My brother is a chef and is providing recipes for a chef in NYC. One of the ingredients is what he would call 'set' honey in the UK, but doesn't know what the US equivalent would be. As I am the one living over here now he thought I might know...but I haven't a clue!

So does anyone know what they call set honey in America? Maybe it even has the same name!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:21 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about honey...

Set honey can also be called crystallized or granulated honey. I have heard it called 'hard' honey as well (that was in a health food shop in the US.)
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Google is your friend:

http://www.texasdrone.com/honey.htm
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshgirl1
My brother is a chef and is providing recipes for a chef in NYC. One of the ingredients is what he would call 'set' honey in the UK, but doesn't know what the US equivalent would be. As I am the one living over here now he thought I might know...but I haven't a clue!

So does anyone know what they call set honey in America? Maybe it even has the same name!
I love "set" honey. It has a much thicker consistency than any american honey I've found. I have been able to get an almost equivalent from World Market by german company:
I'll type what it says on the label...hopefully he'll be able to find some!

Breitsamer Honig
Rapsblute
herzhaft

found this link on amazopn, but you should be able to find it in world market or a health food store:

http://www.amazon.com/Rassblute-Herz...5162547&sr=1-1

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Most natural honey[1] will set/crystalise after a while. In most cases the beekeeper will actually have to stir the honey on order to prevent it from setting, otherwise you won't be able to pour into a glass.

I would check for local beekeepers who are selling honey, with a few exceptions most honeys will set and I'm sure that they'll be able to supply some. Otherwise the local health food stores should be able to supply some (but I'd still try to find a beekeeper).

@lisa67, the honey you have there is rape flower honey. That's pretty good at setting rock hard .

[1] Not sure what the regulations are in the US now, but in back in Germany (where my stepfather kept/keeps bees), you could still call it honey after watering it down with a given percentage of sugar water. This and certain types of heat treatment will stop the honey from crystalising. Given the consistency of certain types of what they call honey over here I'd expect that mixing sugar water into honey is acceptable for 'industrial' honey over here to.