Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question about higher education

Question about higher education

Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

badlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to all
Default Question about higher education

I'm American and my fiance is English, and we're looking to get married around December of next year or so when I graduate uni. He has been to a trade school in England after finishing high school, but he may want to eventually go to a community college or something else here (long story short, he can't really use what he acquired at the other school). We're thinking about him moving here, so I'd start the spouse visa process pretty much immediately after we marry.

I read somewhere on the UK-Yankee site that even if an American/etc. is in the UK with a spouse by using that visa, they could attend higher education facilities but would have to pay the foreign student fees unless they've been living there for over three years. I don't know if that is true or not, but my question is: is this true for immigrants to the US through the spouse visa?? It would be so much easier if my fiance wanted to go to a community college or technical school for a few years and was able to pay the in-state fees rather than the out-of-state ones. So I just need to know would he be able to do that immediately upon coming here after being granted the visa and green card? I found it odd that you have the same ability to go after any job you want when you get there/here as a spouse, but that you would have to pay foreign fees for education....

Thank you.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about higher education

Originally Posted by badlydrawnmegan
I'm American and my fiance is English, and we're looking to get married around December of next year or so when I graduate uni. He has been to a trade school in England after finishing high school, but he may want to eventually go to a community college or something else here (long story short, he can't really use what he acquired at the other school). We're thinking about him moving here, so I'd start the spouse visa process pretty much immediately after we marry.

I read somewhere on the UK-Yankee site that even if an American/etc. is in the UK with a spouse by using that visa, they could attend higher education facilities but would have to pay the foreign student fees unless they've been living there for over three years. I don't know if that is true or not, but my question is: is this true for immigrants to the US through the spouse visa?? It would be so much easier if my fiance wanted to go to a community college or technical school for a few years and was able to pay the in-state fees rather than the out-of-state ones. So I just need to know would he be able to do that immediately upon coming here after being granted the visa and green card? I found it odd that you have the same ability to go after any job you want when you get there/here as a spouse, but that you would have to pay foreign fees for education....

Thank you.
Maybe you should like the comment, for context.

Most of these things are specific to the school, so if you have one in mind, contact them directly. To make your point more clear, don't say 'spouse visa'.
If your new DH would arrive with an Immigrant Visa, he will be a "Permanent Resident (green card)" from Day One. He should be able to 'use' your length of residency in the area to qualify for resident or non-resident. (what you call in-state/out of state).

I haven't ever heard of a 3 years wait.

Make sure you know what an Immigrant Visa is and if that is the one he'll be applying for.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you.
Hi:

The resident/non-resident rules vary from state to state. Also, some states have a rule that the initial determination governs throughout the program.

Here in California, the general rule is one year of residence before resident status kicks in. BTW, the determination is made at the beginning of the term.

I had a classmate in Law School -- he was born and raised in California -- he had to pay non-resident tuition at Indiana University. In the meanwhile, his parents retired and moved out of California. When he returned to California, he was considered a non-resident and had to pay increased fees the first year.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Thank you.
I have never heard of a three year residency requirement; most states only require that a person reside in said state for 12 months before qualifying for in-state tuition rates. There are also other stipulations about making said State your domicle, obtaining drivers licences, being dependant etc.

This one-year residency applies to all students: international and domestic who come to study in a state for which they are not a resident of.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

badlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to all

Thank you for the responses! That time frame is a lot easier to work with. I'll have to do some research regarding these things in Texas.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If he chooses a community college, they are subsidized by a county so to get the cheapest fees you have to be resident in that county for a certain period of time, some will accept working in that county as well. The ones around me are 12 months.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Leyther;7026488]I have never heard of a three year residency requirement;

FWIW she was talking about something she read regarding studying in the UK re: 3 years resident in the UK or paying foreign student fees, which I believe has been discussed on here before and is true