Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question about healthcare

Question about healthcare

Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about healthcare

Originally Posted by robtuck
You can use the NHS, you are just supposed to pay for it if you are not UK resident and not from an EU country where charges are offset. Supposed to pay is a little different from having to pay as well, but clearly you are relying on administrative incompetence for that to happen (but it does, frequently).
From what I hear, things are tightening up, and being able to "get away with it" may come to an end.

You might also want to check the BE rules on promoting illegal activities.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Technically speaking that isn't illegal - refusing to pay would be, I imagine, or at least a civil claim if you let it get that far. I'd imagine anyone even remotely considering it though would probably just be better off moving back anyway - it's not like you'd hop back for an ingrowing toe nail.

Nope, you take the rough with the smooth, it's all an intricate balance. For the extra I potentially pay on healthcare here, I balance that with holidays in the past year that would have cost me many thousands of dollars more if I attempted them from the UK - Nashville, Memphis, Biloxi, Myrtle Beach, Orlando. One year in, it all seems to come out in the wash - for every new cost I find new benefits, and that's the fun of it all - finding new things.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 7:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
Technically speaking that isn't illegal - refusing to pay would be .....
We're splitting hairs here, but I was talking about pretending to be a UK resident (or not disclosing that you aren't), so the NHS doesn't even know that you should be billed, and that is fraud - obtaining something that you are not entitled to by deception, which is most definitely illegal. ..... Granted, I am not aware of any prosecutions yet.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AZgal
Healthcare insurance is the bane of my life at the moment so confusing
It's simple really, the clue is in the name Health Insurance

Hence it is a profit making industry where you are a minor cog in the wheel.

You are not, and never will be the primary concern for a health insurance company, despite many of there attempts to convince you otherwise. The marketing departments in these gulags work at straining point . Keep that proposition in mind and it will inform you for every decision you make concerning healthcare in the US.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I believe that. I doubt anyone has a better policy than they did 10 years ago or more. Worth bitching about.
I do... but that is an artefact of my now working for an employer who provides "cadillac"-standard insurance.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by vikingsail
It's simple really, the clue is in the name Health Insurance

Hence it is a profit making industry where you are a minor cog in the wheel.

You are not, and never will be the primary concern for a health insurance company, despite many of there attempts to convince you otherwise. The marketing departments in these gulags work at straining point . Keep that proposition in mind and it will inform you for every decision you make concerning healthcare in the US.
The paradox is that 94% of major corporations (primarily those listed on a stock exchange), "self insure" meaning that they pocket the premiums paid by their employees, and then pay their employees' medical expenses out of pocket. They then hire one of the major insurance "companies" to manage the process, so while most Americans think they are insured by Aetna, Blue Cross, United Healthcare, etc. They really aren't and the whole thing is a sham set up by their employer with assistance from one of the insurance consultants, because that is what they really are!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 8th 2017 at 9:40 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The paradox is that 94% of major corporations (primarily those listed on a stock exchange), "self insure" meaning that they pocket the premiums paid by their employees, and then pay their employees' medical expenses out of pocket. They then hire one of the major insurance "companies" to manage the process, so while most Americans think they are insured by Aetna, Blue Cross, United Healthcare, etc. They really aren't and the whole thing is a sham set up by their employer with assistance from one of the insurance consultants, because that is what they really are!
Not sure it's a "sham" in the sense that the notional total premium (employer + employee) is set by the insurance company based on actuarial analysis of the covered employees. That's the number reported on your W2 and so it does have some meaning. Additionally, companies will often insure against "losses" i.e. claims above a certain total yearly level, so as to ensure that their liability is bounded.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Not sure it's a "sham" in the sense that the notional total premium (employer + employee) is set by the insurance company based on actuarial analysis of the covered employees. That's the number reported on your W2 and so it does have some meaning. Additionally, companies will often insure against "losses" i.e. claims above a certain total yearly level, so as to ensure that their liability is bounded.
Agreed but the cost of insurance is purely a number thrashed out between the employer and to and the insurance company, being anticipated costs less employer subsidy.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Agreed but the cost of insurance is purely a number thrashed out between the employer and to and the insurance company, being anticipated costs less employer subsidy.
Right, but because this is the number that gets reported to the IRS (for the purposes of the "cadillac tax", if it's ever actually collected down the road), there are government actuarial rules as to the basis of the number.

Edit: I don't think the "total cost of insurance" is "anticipated costs less employer subsidy". I think it's what the insurance company would actuarially charge in premiums for a group with the same demographics that the employer has. At least, that's my understanding given what my employer has said.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 8th 2017 at 10:11 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:52 pm

Right, but because this is the number that gets reported to the IRS (for the purposes of the "cadillac tax", if it's ever actually collected down the road), there are government actuarial rules as to the basis of the number.

Edit: I don't think the "total cost of insurance" is "anticipated costs less employer subsidy". I think it's what the insurance company would actuarially charge in premiums for a group with the same demographics that the employer has. At least, that's my understanding given what my employer has said.
Isn't that what "anticipated costs" are? I always understood that an actuary's job was to anticipate likely future costs.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Isn't that what "anticipated costs" are? I always understood that an actuary's job was to anticipate likely future costs.
I _think_ the number reported on the W2 has to be "anticipated costs + notional profit margin" that an insurance company would get if it were selling a policy to a group with the company's enrollment demographic. Again, that is what I understood from what my employer said, so I am not 100% sure.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 8th 2017 at 11:58 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

That is exactly how mine works, although many of my co-workers don't realize. It means the "insurance consultant" is taking a slice of the money also.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

I do... but that is an artefact of my now working for an employer who provides "cadillac"-standard insurance.
Me too, but the hubs had to die for me to get it. The whole military survivor thing. $238 per year, everything covered at 100%. $12.00 office copay. Your country thanks you for your husband's service. Too bad it wasn't available for him.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

We're splitting hairs here, but I was talking about pretending to be a UK resident (or not disclosing that you aren't), so the NHS doesn't even know that you should be billed, and that is fraud - obtaining something that you are not entitled to by deception, which is most definitely illegal. ..... Granted, I am not aware of any prosecutions yet.
Is using vpn in order to pretend you are in the uk in order to access the bbc also deception and fraud? As it’s a popular topic on here where different approaches are shared and discussed.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mercury39
Is using vpn in order to pretend you are in the uk in order to access the bbc also deception and fraud? ....
I have drawn my own conclusion as to why you need to ask.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.