Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question about healthcare

Question about healthcare

Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about healthcare

Originally Posted by AZgal
..... The policies I’ve been reading tonight with the deductible we might as well fly home! ....
Er, that's not legal, unless you have decided to go home permanently. And of course it's not much of a plan if you have a compound fracture, have had a heart attack or stroke, or are otherwise hooked up to medical machinery.
.... Thank you for the advice :-)
You're welcome. .... Think about it, and come back with any questions you have.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 1:45 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Be sure to bring all your medical notes from your UK Dr with you.
It may ease the Dr transition if he/she has your medical history.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

That’s a really good point, I was just reading about the Health Savings accounts. The policies I’ve been reading tonight with the deductible we might as well fly home! Thank you for the advice :-)
You may well find that if you put the premium savings you get by having a high deductible plan into an HSA, you soon build up a balance which covers the high deductible. The challenge is the initial period when you do not have a high HSA balance. It also depends on your employer offering a high deductible plan which then qualifies for an HSA.

In other words don't let the high deductible scare you. Long term this approach can save $1000s, with the HSA balance belonging to you, rather than having paid it over to an insurance company.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 1:02 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is yes, you have to get a prescription from a US doctor, foreign prescriptions are meaningless. The US doctor might write you a prescription on the strength of it but from the sounds of it you're on anti-depressants and just because they're available in the UK doesn't mean they're approved by the FDA.

Common trick for US pharma companies is to get a drug approved in the US and a slightly different drug everywhere else to stop grey imports as US drug prices are frighteningly high. Sometimes they just change the name, e.g. Novolog insulin instead of Novorapid insulin, so if you go to Canada, the pharmacist doesn't know what it means.

A good example is Lunesta, aka Eszopiclone which is a hypnotic used to treat insomnia. Only approved in the US - other countries use Zopiclone which is chemically very similar but not as refined so it is a different drug given in different dosages.

On the Medicaid website they list the weekly average price of every approved drug so you can find out roughly how much it costs in the US: https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/pr...ing/index.html

Something you should always check as even if you have insurance that covers the drug, sometimes the co-pay can be more than the cost of the drug. So you shouldn't use insurance to buy it.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 1:46 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Mainly because a contact who lives and works in the states, for the same company as my other half told us that it wasn’t a very comprehensive policy. But I’ve been comparing policies all evening and I think it is a good policy. It seems cover everything I can think off. But because of the comment made I’m doubting myself. I have a friend in Texas looking at it too.
If your contact is a Brit, it is not surprising he thinks it is uncomprehensive. Even if he is a Yank, it is likely he has prior experience of better insurance. It is one of those things that has gotten worse value for money, year after year, even in the 12 years I have been here.

As it happens today I signed up for next years scheme and it was only a couple of dollars a week more than last year, which is an improvement from most of the previous years. The rub is, its supposed to be a Benefit.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 4:18 am
Just Joined

AZgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to everyone,

You al solved my questions and gave me things to think about. We have a very long chat with the US office today about things including the health insurance. I’m certainly happy that the company policy includes all the things us should.

Just a FYI, the guy that moaned about the company policy is an American born and breed, plus can’t telll me a better policy... therefore I think he is just bitching!!!

Still haven’t said yes and will double check the copay etc

Thanks again all I much appreciate all the help and advice xx
Old Nov 8th 2017, 4:28 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to everyone,

You al solved my questions and gave me things to think about. We have a very long chat with the US office today about things including the health insurance. I’m certainly happy that the company policy includes all the things us should.

Just a FYI, the guy that moaned about the company policy is an American born and breed, plus can’t telll me a better policy... therefore I think he is just bitching!!!

Still haven’t said yes and will double check the copay etc

Thanks again all I much appreciate all the help and advice xx
I believe that. I doubt anyone has a better policy than they did 10 years ago or more. Worth bitching about.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

We went for a High Cost low deductible for the first year - just in-case. Reduced the payment on enrollment last month, but not quite down to the HSA level, with the increased deductible as we hadn't used anything of note. A week later my little one is diagnosed with a hernia and needs an Op - the Health Gods of the USA are vindictive beasts.

The NHS is one of the few things I miss, along with Sausage Rolls (I found an Irish bar last week that does Scotch Eggs, so I am ok on that front now).
Old Nov 8th 2017, 5:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
We went for a High Cost low deductible for the first year - just in-case. Reduced the payment on enrollment last month, but not quite down to the HSA level, with the increased deductible as we hadn't used anything of note. A week later my little one is diagnosed with a hernia and needs an Op - the Health Gods of the USA are vindictive beasts.

The NHS is one of the few things I miss, along with Sausage Rolls (I found an Irish bar last week that does Scotch Eggs, so I am ok on that front now).
Are you covered by the old plan until the end of this year? If so and if surgery is needed...get it done now.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Sijackoishere is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the health policy being offered a U.K. based policy for expats (from Bupa Global for example) or a US plan for US residents? I would question the expertise of the person who telling you it’s not s comprehensive policy...it might just look different to what they are used to.

A general point to note is that drugs in the US are significantly more expensive than in the U.K. so if your Gap is willing to write a 12 month prescription that will save you what could be a large amount.

It would be useful for you to get the generic drug name of your script. Drugs go by different brand names in different countries but the generic name is more universal so may be better understood by your doctor in the US.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Sijackoishere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Er, that's not legal, unless you have decided to go home permanently. And of course it's not much of a plan if you have a compound fracture, have had a heart attack or stroke, or are otherwise hooked up to medical machinery.

You're welcome. .... Think about it, and come back with any questions you have.
I’m sorry...what’s not legal about returning to the U.K. either for a short time or permanently....I’m confused?
Old Nov 8th 2017, 5:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sijackoishere
I’m sorry...what’s not legal about returning to the U.K. either for a short time or permanently....I’m confused?
Only UK residents can use the NHS. If you are returning to live there then you can use the NHS...although now I believe there are certain hoops to jump through to prove you are a UK resident.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-hospital-care

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 8th 2017 at 5:53 pm. Reason: Post link
Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sijackoishere
Wot Jerseygirl said! It isn't legal to use the NHS when you are only visiting, or at least it isn't without paying for the services provided.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 8th 2017 at 6:20 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

You can use the NHS, you are just supposed to pay for it if you are not UK resident and not from an EU country where charges are offset. Supposed to pay is a little different from having to pay as well, but clearly you are relying on administrative incompetence for that to happen (but it does, frequently).

Last edited by robtuck; Nov 8th 2017 at 6:22 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you covered by the old plan until the end of this year? If so and if surgery is needed...get it done now.
We think we are, and right now it seems likely we will get an early December date, but it does feel like playing Roulette here. Other than Healthcare, and Sausage Rolls and Bread and Chocolate, loving it though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.