Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

question about "conditional permanent residence status"

question about "conditional permanent residence status"

Old Apr 9th 2002, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

powerpoint is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question about "conditional permanent residence status"

„If a person is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident and the marriage occurred less than two years before the alien spouse is admitted as a U.S. permanent resident, the permanent residence status is conditional.“

1. „Two years“ from the Marriage to the day I enter the USA or the day the immigrant visa was issued ?
2. If it is the day I enter the USA, so during the waiting time can I travel to the USA just as a tourist without using this immigrant visa I got.

Thank You for your advice.
pp
Old Apr 9th 2002, 4:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question about "conditional permanent residence status"

If your marriage is over two years old at the time you enter the US, you will enter the US as a permanent resident with a ten year green card. This is beneficial if you used your spouse for the green card. Then you can divorce them immediately and not have to worry about removing conditions.

If your marriage is less than two years old at the time you enter the US, your status is conditional permanent resident and you have a green card for only two years. 90 days before its expiration you have to prove you are still married. However, if you divorce before the green card expiration you can file for removal of conditions once the divorce is final. You will still have to prove that you were legally married for the right reasons and not just for a green card.

And, NO, you can't visit the US as a tourist if you have an approved spousal visa. It must be activitated the first time you enter the US after its issuance by the US Consulate.
Old Apr 9th 2002, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

powerpoint is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank You so much Rete.
Have a nice day.

pp
Old Apr 9th 2002, 7:05 pm
Jn

> 1. "Two years" from the Marriage to the day I enter the USA or the day the
    > immigrant visa was issued ?

The US Citizen spouse will have to petition for you to get permanent resident status.
If permanent residence status is granted before you have been married for two years,
then your permanent residence status is conditional.

> 2. If it is the day I enter the USA, so during the waiting time can I travel to the
    > USA just as a tourist without using this immigrant visa I got.

I believe you should be traveling to the US using your immigrant visa/permanent
residence, and not as a tourist.

Where are you now? Are you outside of the US?

I am not a lawyer. For reliable advice, please consult with a professional
immigration attorney. My advice is based on my own personal experience and what I
have gone through.