Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question about checked luggage

Wikiposts

Question about checked luggage

Old Jun 4th 2006, 3:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cable Ties

Originally Posted by commoner
I use those big, fluorescent cable ties you can find in your average hardware store to secure my bag.

Those TSA locks are expensive, and as people have said here, airport security tends to pinch the locks. I'm way too cheap to buy locks for every trip I take.

The few times my luggage has been opened, the nice TSA guys have replaced my cable tie with their own closing tie, to keep my bag shut.

Awwwwww.
My daughter used a cable tie because she couldn't find the lock. Airport security told her not to use them again or her luggage wouldn't be accepted.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:29 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a website I referred to constantly back in the day when I was a globetrotter...

OneBag.com (formally the "The Compleat Carryon Traveller" website)

Has TONS of information about how to pack efficiently and to meet security standards, etc. I can't recommend it enough.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 5th 2006, 5:26 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about checked luggage

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
At Newark airport you can stay with your locked luggage until it has been ex-rayed. That way if security want to look through your luggage you are there to unlock it.
Did that too and TSA still broke the lock before I got it in London. Note: TSA broke it, not the UK side!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 5:27 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scarlett2004
Ok, I admit it, Ray! But then I was never one of those "Southern belles" who glowed--I SWEATED and it wasn't pretty! It's hot as hell where I am today but at least I don't walk outside and get hit with that "hot, wet blanket."
Scarlett where in the Hill Country do you live? You are closer to SA than Austin, I take it?

Some days I wish I could move out there but until kids are both 18 (youngest is 6) no can do.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 5:57 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

At Newark airport you can stay with your locked luggage until it has been ex-rayed. That way if security want to look through your luggage you are there to unlock it.

I tell you what. I was at Newark airport about 2 months ago and I have to say that I have never been to such a disorganized, zoo of an airport in my life! (nothing personal Jerseygirl! ) The signs in there are terrible and trying to check in for a flight is a nightmare because you can't find where you need to go! Everyone in line with us was asking everyone else in the line if they were in the right place. Most people ended up having to get out of line because they discovered they WERE in the wrong place. Also, the girls that were checking in luggage (for passengers who had checked in online) were very rude, really raising their voices to people who had questions, I was shocked!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
I tell you what. I was at Newark airport about 2 months ago and I have to say that I have never been to such a disorganized, zoo of an airport in my life! (nothing personal Jerseygirl! ) The signs in there are terrible and trying to check in for a flight is a nightmare because you can't find where you need to go! Everyone in line with us was asking everyone else in the line if they were in the right place. Most people ended up having to get out of line because they discovered they WERE in the wrong place. Also, the girls that were checking in luggage (for passengers who had checked in online) were very rude, really raising their voices to people who had questions, I was shocked!

I'll let you into a secret about Newark Airport. Check in on line, then you check your own baggage in when you get there. Its all automated, you don't need to talk to a human being.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 7:53 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

TSA says it here:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?co...00051980082cb5

I have to say I have circumvented the globe with TSA locks and had no problems, aswell as more than 8 or 9 trips back to the UK in the last three years. Not had a single problem with locks being removed.

Tip: Don't decant shampoo etc into those little travel bottles, for some reason they don't allow them on the plane unless they are in the original bottle.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Scarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
TSA says it here:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?co...00051980082cb5

I have to say I have circumvented the globe with TSA locks and had no problems, aswell as more than 8 or 9 trips back to the UK in the last three years. Not had a single problem with locks being removed.

Tip: Don't decant shampoo etc into those little travel bottles, for some reason they don't allow them on the plane unless they are in the original bottle.
I really appreciate all the great info, tips, websites, etc. -- it has been extremely helpful.

CB, I am glad you mentioned that about the smaller shampoo bottles as I was planning to do that very thing. It reminded me that I had an unopened bottle of water when I was going through security in one of the airports and the screener had me open the bottle and take a few sips--had to prove it wasn't some explosive or toxic liquid!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 8:35 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

I'll let you into a secret about Newark Airport. Check in on line, then you check your own baggage in when you get there. Its all automated, you don't need to talk to a human being.

We did. Then when we went to check in our luggage we had to get in a queue . They took our luggage from us and checked our print out from the computer saying that we had checked in online. We stood in 3 queues before we eventually got in the right one. I'm very used to airports and have never had a problem like that. Oh well .
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

We did. Then when we went to check in our luggage we had to get in a queue . They took our luggage from us and checked our print out from the computer saying that we had checked in online. We stood in 3 queues before we eventually got in the right one. I'm very used to airports and have never had a problem like that. Oh well .
Just to make sure we aren't talking at cross purposes. I mean that after checking in on-line, I check my own luggage at the automated check in desk. I do not go to the normal airline check in. Then I take my bags to be x-rayed.

Apart from all that this is Joizey watdoya expect?
Old Jun 6th 2006, 12:00 pm
Blondie22

Just to make sure we aren't talking at cross purposes. I mean that after checking in on-line, I check my own luggage at the automated check in desk. I do not go to the normal airline check in. Then I take my bags to be x-rayed.

Apart from all that this is Joizey watdoya expect?

Well, what we did was;
Checked in online.
Arrived at the airport and weren't sure where to go as we had never checked in online before, we then went to the information desk and asked.
She said to go to international departures to check- in our luggage.
When you get upstairs there are signs for international check-in in several places.We were confused because we didn't know why we had to stand in line as we had already checked in.
We asked an official and they said that we were in the right line and yes we did have to queue to check in our luggage.
When we got half way through the line we noticed that we were in the line for Canada!
Hoof it down the airport to another international check-in (I think it ended up being for India this time!) Nowhere did it say GB.
We asked again and got directed to another line. We stood in this one for 10-15 mins and when we got to the front the snotty check-in woman took our bags, checked our print out from the computer that we had checked in online and said we were good to go. Meanwhile she is loosing her rag with several other people that are just as confused as we were. the difference was that we HAD checked in online and a lot of the people in line HAD'NT! Rather than directing them where they needed to go she was yelling at them like idiots!
There were quite a few computer screens dotted about that we presumed were for self check in but weren't for sure. Do airports not check you in anymore, do you have to do it via computer or is this just NewarK?
Sorry, long story, I wanted to make sure I didn't confuse you any more than I already had!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Well, what we did was;
Checked in online.
Arrived at the airport and weren't sure where to go as we had never checked in online before, we then went to the information desk and asked.
When you get upstairs there are signs for international check-in in several places.We were confused because we didn't know why we had to stand in line as we had already checked in.
We asked an official and they said that we were in the right line and yes we did have to queue to check in our luggage.
When we got half way through the line we noticed that we were in the line for Canada!
Hoof it down the airport to another international check-in (I think it ended up being for India this time!) Nowhere did it say GB.
We asked again and got directed to another line. We stood in this one for 10-15 mins and when we got to the front the snotty check-in woman took our bags, checked our print out from the computer that we had checked in online and said we were good to go. Meanwhile she is loosing her rag with several other people that are just as confused as we were. the difference was that we HAD checked in online and a lot of the people in line HAD'NT! Rather than directing them where they needed to go she was yelling at them like idiots!
There were quite a few computer screens dotted about that we presumed were for self check in but weren't for sure. Do airports not check you in anymore, do you have to do it via computer or is this just NewarK?
Sorry, long story, I wanted to make sure I didn't confuse you any more than I already had!
Like I said it is Joizey. I fly Newark to Manchester and the only flight on that run is a Continental red eye. They operate from terminal C, where you can scan your passport, weigh your bags and check yourself in. That area is in the middle of terminal C just inside the doors, opposite the normal check in desks. I can't remember if this service is only for passengers that have already checked in online, I think it is. I have no idea if other other airports do this, I am sure the major ones must. I tried to check in online before leaving the UK but couldn't, the service wasn't available from the UK. Don't know if that is still the case.

Newark airport is the pits, it is confusing and trying to find someone that can help you, let alone understand you can be very frustrating.

BTW when we flew to the UK overnight Christmas Eve arriving Christmas Day the flight was heavily overbooked. I was so glad we had already checked in online. Can you imagine expecting to arrive Christmas Day and being told the flight is full, the next flight being the following evening if there's room!!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 12:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Question about checked luggage

Well, what we did was;
Checked in online.
This sounds like Terminal C which is the terminal for Continental Airlines....it really is a mess there and confusing for travellers unfamiliar with this terminal.

The Port Authority (the operators of the airport) won't allow foreign airlines to have self check-in desks at the airport. If you are flying with BA for example you would either have to check in online and go directly to the 'fast bag drop' check in desk to deposit your baggage or otherwise queue up with dozens of other passengers and check in at the desk.

Top tip: all airlines overbook, especially during the busy Summer months and at Christmas....you're less likely to be denied boarding (ie. bumped off the flight) if you have checked in online before arriving at the airport.

(He he .....Jerseygirl beat me to it....got distracted for a few mintues whilst typing this...watching 'Shaun of the Dead' on an HBO movie channel...already got the DVD but it's such a funny movie...son is out with his girlfriend watching "The Omen" tonight...)

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 6th 2006 at 12:48 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 12:58 pm
Blondie22

Like I said it is Joizey. I fly Newark to Manchester and the only flight on that run is a Continental red eye. They operate from terminal C, where you can scan your passport, weigh your bags and check yourself in. That area is in the middle of terminal C just inside the doors, opposite the normal check in desks. I can't remember if this service is only for passengers that have already checked in online, I think it is. I have no idea if other other airports do this, I am sure the major ones must. I tried to check in online before leaving the UK but couldn't, the service wasn't available from the UK. Don't know if that is still the case.

Newark airport is the pits, it is confusing and trying to find someone that can help you, let alone understand you can be very frustrating.

BTW when we flew to the UK overnight Christmas Eve arriving Christmas Day the flight was heavily overbooked. I was so glad we had already checked in online. Can you imagine expecting to arrive Christmas Day and being told the flight is full, the next flight being the following evening if there's room!!

Believe it or not, after all my complaining, the checking in online was very helpful. My mum had been assigned a seat that she would have been really uncomfortable in for 7 odd hours. We changed it online and she got that seat without a problem.The flight was packed apparently so it was a good job that we did that. (She flew to Heathrow by the way!)
Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:01 pm
Blondie22

Originally Posted by Englishmum
This sounds like Terminal C which is the terminal for Continental Airlines....it really is a mess there and confusing for travellers unfamiliar with this terminal.

The Port Authority (the operators of the airport) won't allow foreign airlines to have self check-in desks at the airport. If you are flying with BA for example you would either have to check in online and go directly to the 'fast bag drop' check in desk to deposit your baggage or otherwise queue up with dozens of other passengers and check in at the desk.

Top tip: all airlines overbook, especially during the busy Summer months and at Christmas....you're less likely to be denied boarding (ie. bumped off the flight) if you have checked in online before arriving at the airport.

(He he .....Jerseygirl beat me to it....got distracted for a few mintues whilst typing this...watching 'Shaun of the Dead' on an HBO movie channel...already got the DVD but it's such a funny movie...son is out with his girlfriend watching "The Omen" tonight...)

Now I'm distracted, that really was a funny movie. The bit when they are in the pub and the zombies are starting to break in, one of the funniest bit's I thought, I was ROFL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.