Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question about British Qualifications and working in America?

Question about British Qualifications and working in America?

Old Dec 25th 2020, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about British Qualifications and working in America?

Originally Posted by retzie
This is exactly what I had in mind. I assume the Masters won't be completely free in the UK, so once you factor in any conversion headaches/expenses, it might not cost much more to just do it in the US. There is also the big intangible boost of developing a local network. (I imagine OP and their OH may like to be together sooner rather than later as well!)

A quick browse reveals that the Cal State University system is very strong in the counseling area; fees look to be circa $12K per year. I didn't dig into it to see the residency requirements for such a rate. Since OP is looking to come in on a spouse visa, it could very well be possible to get that rate with clever timing.
Plus there is so much financial aid if you research it and on campus work study or teaching assistant positions. I saw a recent news blurb where a young female college freshman made scholarship application an obsession and rounded up 250k in scholarships
Old Dec 30th 2020, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

You can get your masters degree in the US or in the UK, certainly - but consider the benefit ot having a degree from a regional university rather than a degree from even a very well recognised UK one (no one here cares about my UK degree at all, only the US ones). Also consider the advantage of having experience with particular populations which are more numerous in California, such as undocumented immigrants, first gen youth, Hispanic and Southeast Asian clients. Also the bonus of having work experience in some of the clinics where you might want to work. US job markets can be very networky. Almost every job I've had here has been the result of a recommendation, or someone being a friend of a friend (obviously this can be very field-specific).

Originally Posted by Lauryn
I don't have the money to requalify in the US by getting another degree
Do you know how much money you'll actually need for a US-based masters instead of a UK one? Have you looked up the cost of a degree at a state university, for the resident tuition rate? Eligible scholarships? As a green card holder you'd also be eligible for American student loans. Despite the horror stories, not everyone has six figures of loan debt. My US-based student loan for my masters from 2017 is almost the same amount to the penny as my UK undergraduate loan from 2001. My other US-based degree was paid for entirely by my employer, which was the university where I was studying. Some staff perks in the US can be great.

Originally Posted by Lauryn
nor do I want to spend my life with him in an entry level field when I could be doing something I'm more qualified for.
I'm not sure why this would happen, so I wouldn't worry about it. You're 20 and have ample time to retrain, re-educate, or move fields in your life. It's likely that, as a newlywed in a new country, you'd be unemployed for a while anyway, while you navigate the job market and your options. And that's not even factoring in our post-Covid imploded nightmare of an economy. A degree isn't the worst thing to start off doing.

Obviously, I can't say which route is best for you. The best thing you can do is have real numbers for the purpose of making comparisons.

Last edited by Rose tea; Dec 30th 2020 at 6:54 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Rose Tea
I see you live in New Mexico. I
like New Mexico, lived in Albuquerque to attend UNM. Got my BS in Pharmacy there in 77.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Rose Tea
I see you live in New Mexico. I
like New Mexico, lived in Albuquerque to attend UNM. Got my BS in Pharmacy there in 77.
Ah, a rare find around here. Hope you can make it out for visits.

It's changed a lot in even the time I've lived here - I found photos of my in-laws' house from when it was built (1970) and there's nothing but open land around them. Now, you can drive for miles in any direction from them and still be firmly in the city.

Old Dec 31st 2020, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rose tea
Ah, a rare find around here. Hope you can make it out for visits.

It's changed a lot in even the time I've lived here - I found photos of my in-laws' house from when it was built (1970) and there's nothing but open land around them. Now, you can drive for miles in any direction from them and still be firmly in the city.
I would probably barely recognize the place. I plan to take a long road trip when the virus is over. I bet UNM has changed a lot also.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I would probably barely recognize the place. I plan to take a long road trip when the virus is over. I bet UNM has changed a lot also.
I live nearby and walk the dogs up there at the weekend. It seems as though every time I go, there's a new building going up.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rose tea
I live nearby and walk the dogs up there at the weekend. It seems as though every time I go, there's a new building going up.
I lived in the Cidadel apartments when I lived there. I just looked online and they still go by that name. They were managed by a young British couple as I recall. I think they were on University Ave and fairly close to UNM.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

We own a house in the south of NM, and our son is at school at New Mexico Tech. It would be neat to meet up next time Lizzyq and I swing through.