British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Question about AOS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/question-about-aos-108658/)

RickQ May 31st 2002 5:18 pm

Question about AOS

I have just moved to the US (well, 3 weeks ago, but who's counting) to marry BestGirl and I have a couple of concerns.

Once we are married, we will have to adjust my status, but I am not sure what sort of evidence we will need that I am planning on living here permanantly. We have tried to get a car loan in both our names, but I did not have a Social Security number at the time. I have transferred some money to Brynda's account, so we have that evidence, but we have tried to add me to her account and they have had problems with that (I hope to have it sorted by the end of next week). We have copies of the invitation we are sending and the one my parents are sending to the UK relatives for the reception we are having over there. We also have something from the place where we are having the wedding to say that we have booked it and paid a deposit.

I could prolly get something from the places we are staying on our honeymoon too, e-mail confirmation or something.

The only thing is, most of the stuff we have seems to be about the wedding itself. We don't have much to show that we have started to make plans for our future together. Should I be worried, is there anything else I can get or try to get. I also have a drivers license (and I do now have a Social Security number).

Rick

Rete May 31st 2002 7:24 pm

Re: Question about AOS

Well Rick, unless you are using Detroit, you won't been needing that evidence for a few months at the very least. Most INS offices are taking 3 to 24 months to process AOS applications and that is not taking into account Arizona and parts of Texas.

So forget about it for the moment and start thinking about it again after the honeymoon.

R

RickQ May 31st 2002 8:07 pm

We are using Detroit, sorry, I forgot to mention that. I am living there.

We have heard that Detroit (along with Texas) are the only places to do same day AOS. If I don't do AOS, I thought I could not leave and re-enter the country. That is why we are going ahead and doing it now, so I can go on my honeymoon to the UK.

Rick

Andy Platt May 31st 2002 8:20 pm

The evidence is needed for the AOS interview, not to file. Additionally, even if you
get a very speedy interview date, it's not a big deal because they'll get another
chance to look at you when you file to adjust status.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "RickQ"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have just moved to the US (well, 3 weeks ago, but who's counting) to marry
    > BestGirl and I have a couple of concerns.
    >
    > Once we are married, we will have to adjust my status, but I am not sure what sort
    > of evidence we will need that I am planning on living here permanantly. We have
    > tried to get a car loan in both our names, but I did not have a Social Security
    > number at the time. I have transferred some money to Brynda's account, so we have
    > that evidence, but we have tried to add me to her account and they have had
    > problems with that (I hope to have it sorted by the end of next week). We have
    > copies of the invitation we are sending and the one my parents are sending to the
    > UK relatives for the reception we are having over there. We also have something
    > from the place where we are having the wedding to say that we have booked it and
    > paid a deposit.
    >
    > I could prolly get something from the places we are staying on our honeymoon too,
    > e-mail confirmation or something.
    >
    > The only thing is, most of the stuff we have seems to be about the wedding itself.
    > We don't have much to show that we have started to make plans for our future
    > together. Should I be worried, is there anything else I can get or try to get. I
    > also have a drivers license (and I do now have a Social Security number).
    >
    > Rick
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Rete May 31st 2002 8:22 pm

Texas no longer does it. Only Detroit and Sault Ste. Marie, MI.

For you using Detroit, don't sweat it. They KNOW that you can't and won't have much in the way of physical evidence. Bring lots of wedding pictures, wedding invitation, cards and letters and you will be just fine.

As for going to the UK for your honeymoon, I do hope that you haven't booked your seats yet. You have NO GUARANTEE that you will get the stamp that day. Any number of things could happen. For example, your file is not there, they decide they need to check you out on the IBIS system (and this is a real big possibility), they stopped doing instant AOS the day before you get there, etc. Also you need the certified copy of your marriage license and not the cutesy little thing the officiant gives you after the ceremony.

R

Rete May 31st 2002 8:23 pm

P.S. Do up an I-131 for advance parole ... just in case

Mrs_blackross Jun 1st 2002 3:20 am

as far as AOS filing is concerned, don't sweat the joint life together stuff. If
Detroit is still doing instant AOS they KNOW you can't have much evidence yet. as far
as bank accounts and loans go in general, if you came on a K1 you are eligible for a
SSN based on that status alone, so once you get that SSN you can start getting stuff
in both names and adding yourself to insurances, loans and bank accounts. All this
kind of stuff will be needed for removing conditions, but for filing your AOS
initially (and in Detroit if they do the instant AOS) it is neither needed nor
expected so early in your life together. When I moved here I found it unnerving how
dependant US businesses are on the coveted SSN, considering it is *supposed* to be
only for tracking employment and social security contributions, yet you really have
no identity and can't do ANYTHING without one.

"RickQ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I have just moved to the US (well, 3 weeks ago, but who's counting) to marry
    > BestGirl and I have a couple of concerns.
    >
    > Once we are married, we will have to adjust my status, but I am not sure what sort
    > of evidence we will need that I am planning on living here permanantly. We have
    > tried to get a car loan in both our names, but I did not have a Social Security
    > number at the time. I have transferred some money to Brynda's account, so we have
    > that evidence, but we have tried to add me to her account and they have had
    > problems with that (I hope to have it sorted by the end of next week). We have
    > copies of the invitation we are sending and the one my parents are sending to the
    > UK relatives for the reception we are having over there. We also have something
    > from the place where we are having the wedding to say that we have booked it and
    > paid a deposit.
    >
    > I could prolly get something from the places we are staying on our honeymoon too,
    > e-mail confirmation or something.
    >
    > The only thing is, most of the stuff we have seems to be about the wedding itself.
    > We don't have much to show that we have started to make plans for our future
    > together. Should I be worried, is there anything else I can get or try to get. I
    > also have a drivers license (and I do now have a Social Security number).
    >
    > Rick
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com