Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question about Afadavit of support

Question about Afadavit of support

Old Jul 13th 2002, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about Afadavit of support

Hey there.. just a quick question... I was an actress in New York, making various commercials for income, I temped and do odd jobs for cash, does this make me unemployed? I am technically unemployed at the moment, but up until March, I was still receiving checks for my commercials and my last income tax returns show that. It might help more than me being unemployed, but how does this work? Also, what if I get a job about a week before I fill out the form....

Just wondering if I need a co sponsor or not or if the income taand/or my stocks and bonds will be enough...
Old Jul 13th 2002, 6:20 pm
Humberto Rossi

Default Re: Question about Afadavit of support

Wheter you are employed or not, what the consulate is going to be looking for is if
your income (or whatever money you have) is 125% above the poverty line for your
household size. This can be shown by either an letter from work or a letter from the
bank. If you plan on using assets, then they need to be 5x the difference from the
amount you make and 125%of the poverty line. So whether you need a co-sponsor really
depends on how much comes into you from doing commercials and odd jobs. You might
want to call the consulatewhere the interview will take place to see what documents
are required for the affidavit. Are you talking about the I134 or the I864 because
they are different and all that I have just said may not apply.

Lili

Old Jul 15th 2002, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question about Afadavit of support

it's for the I-129F. I have employment now...is all I need a letter from my employer? I just started the job, but I was working for them free-lance before I started travelling about 7 months ago... so if he just wrotes saying I'm employed and I make this much a year, that should be okay? Plus the list of assets... Thank you,