Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question.........

Question.........

Old Oct 15th 2002, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

claudia13839 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question.........

Which affidavit of support is used when petitioning on the K3?
Some say I-864, others say I-134. I was told that the I-134 does not require presenting income tax returns, is this true?

CONFUSED, Claudia.
Old Oct 15th 2002, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question.........

Claudia,

Try looking here:
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/

it's the forms and fees section from the INS website, there you can see all instructions plus what supporting evidence you will need for the I 864 and the I 134 they look pretty much the same. There is no way around showing evidence that the person you are marrying will not become a public charge (going on welfare). If you file I864 you will be financially responsible for this person for 10 years weather you divorce or not.

Good luck to you!
At least this is how it was explained to me.

Last edited by Aliluv; Oct 15th 2002 at 6:04 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2002, 8:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Aliluv:
If you file I864 you will be financially responsible for this person for 10 years weather you divorce or not.

However, bear in mind that the I-864 is not enforceable until the AOS interview has been completed and you have been approved. Until that time it is just a form that is in the hands of the INS.

As for the differences between the I-134 and I-864 is that more is required as proof of the I-864 but both must have a financial sponsor(s) that are financial able to perform this service. The I-864 requires tax returns, while the I-134 doesn't but for the I-134 you still have to "prove" to the satisfaction of the US Consulate that you meet the financial requirements. This can be in the form of documented assets quickly liquidated (one year I believe) or an employment letter or bank accounts, etc.

Rete
Old Oct 16th 2002, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

PRESIDENT is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe that you are responsible for 10 years or till the person becomes a USCitizen. So if it is your spouse, you are technically responsible till he/she becomes a USCitizen in 3+ years.

Originally posted by Rete:

However, bear in mind that the I-864 is not enforceable until the AOS interview has been completed and you have been approved. Until that time it is just a form that is in the hands of the INS.

As for the differences between the I-134 and I-864 is that more is required as proof of the I-864 but both must have a financial sponsor(s) that are financial able to perform this service. The I-864 requires tax returns, while the I-134 doesn't but for the I-134 you still have to "prove" to the satisfaction of the US Consulate that you meet the financial requirements. This can be in the form of documented assets quickly liquidated (one year I believe) or an employment letter or bank accounts, etc.

Rete