Question

Old Sep 8th 2001, 4:24 am
Just Joined

BrokenWings is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone

i'm going over to the states (from Australia) and staying with my online guy (visa waiver program) for 90 days. At the moment it's just for a holiday but if everything works out i'll marry him and get an 'adjustment to status' i think it's called?

He lives in an apartment building and I can only stay 2 weeks...any longer than that and i need to be put on the lease

so i'm worried that if we marry and are filing for me to stay, they'll see that i was on the lease since the day i got there and assume that i was 'intending to stay permanently'. when really, i dont' know what's going to happen as yet.

do you guys think that the INS will think that? if so he'll have to find somewhere else for me to stay.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 8th 2001, 6:33 am
Michael Voight

BrokenWings wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

<trimmed>

>
    >

The INS probably isn't going to see the lease. I would be concerned if putting my
name on a lease that was longer than the time you are approved to stay in the country
for. If the lease was pre-existing, then it is quite reasonable to explain the 2 week
issue if asked about the lease. However, if you do not choose to get married on this
trip, leave any documents, ID, etc regarding your US temp residence in the US.. BAD
things can happen at the POE if you are carrying US based identification and do not
have an immigrant visa.

Old Sep 8th 2001, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

BrokenWings is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for that, that makes me feel better