Reload this Page >

quarantine for pets not covered by pet passports

Wikiposts

quarantine for pets not covered by pet passports

Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Clangtons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default quarantine for pets not covered by pet passports

My daughter of 13 has a 2 year old rabbit - she's desperate to take it with us when we go back to the UK this July. Rabbits aren't covered by the Pet Passport scheme in the US. My feeling is that this is a really bad idea - the bunny would probably not survive six months in quaratine and it would cost a fortune anyway. But we are getting a lot of grief about this, mostly as an outlet for the anger about leaving her friends etc.
On the other hand, perhaps taking it would make her readjustment at lot easier. Has anyone tried moving pets other than cats and dogs (our two dogs are chipped and jabbed and ready to go, so we do know all the rules)?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of
Default Re: quarantine for pets not covered by pet passports

Originally Posted by Clangtons
My daughter of 13 has a 2 year old rabbit - she's desperate to take it with us when we go back to the UK this July. Rabbits aren't covered by the Pet Passport scheme in the US. My feeling is that this is a really bad idea - the bunny would probably not survive six months in quaratine and it would cost a fortune anyway. But we are getting a lot of grief about this, mostly as an outlet for the anger about leaving her friends etc.
On the other hand, perhaps taking it would make her readjustment at lot easier. Has anyone tried moving pets other than cats and dogs (our two dogs are chipped and jabbed and ready to go, so we do know all the rules)?

Call British Information Services - the section of the British consulate which deals with these type of issues - Open from 2pm - 5pm EST - 212 745 0277.

The PETS scheme would not cover this - I believe it would be the quantine, but BIS will provide the official answer.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:55 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

At 13, this may be a good opportunity for a growing up lesson in empathy.

I don't mean that harshly, just that we (humans) sometimes do things with animals for our sakes and ignore what is best for the animal. Although it may be tough for your daughter to leave her bunny behind, the alternative possibilities (having it die during the trip, or during quarantine) is not really fair.

I've never had a bunny so I don't know how attached they get. But my guess is that in the right home her bunny will be just fine. If it were a dog, the possibility of the dog missing its mum, and the lower risk for a dog in quarantine make the move a fair option. But in this case I think your daughter should try to be adult about the situation as hard as that might be for her.

And using this as an excuse to get at you is pretty selfish, though typical teenager behavior.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:59 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

You could always been sneaky and get an identical rabbit for when she arrives. She may never know the difference. My mum was always doing this with my guinea pigs, hamsters, fish etc., that my cat kept killing and I never any the wiser.