Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Quality of life for US academics?

Quality of life for US academics?

Old Aug 29th 2016, 8:59 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quality of life for US academics?

As for the main thrust of the post, the Chronicle of Higher Education is really a must-read for academic jobs. My father was a professor for several decades (retired now) but still relates to me the current problems in the academic sector, such as too many PhDs, not enough positions, too few dollars with the universities, etc.

At the moment US university numbers are declining as the population of eligible students has been and will continue to go downhill for the next few years. There are many schools with empty dorms and layoffs are very common throughout the already highly competitive and over-supplied teaching ranks.

Networking will be very important. It won't necessarily get you a job but it can get you in front of the right people who can get you a job. ("it's who you know, but you don't have to know them that well"). Reaching out via Linkedin, Academia.com and other networking sites should be a priority while you are still searching. Personally I wouldn't limit yourself to "Austin-only" or even "Texas-only" as you might not have a chance to be that selective, but you can start with that as a goal and then expand if needed.

Good luck.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 10:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Is this necessarily the case as the mother has "never lived in the US" according to her post? As such her children would not be granted US citizenship by virtue of the mother as the mother did not satisfy the physical presence test in the USA (5 years in the USA, 2 of which are after the age 14).

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship...hrough-parents

Or is there a different rule for entering the USA with kids in this situation that grants them citizenship?
She doesn't qualify to currently pass on US citizenship, i.e., the kids can't get US passports right now, while abroad, because of what you said above. The kids must get immigrant visas.

However, once the kids enter the USA using the immigrant visas, they become USCs (instead of PRs) because one parent is a USC.

Rene
Old Aug 29th 2016, 10:32 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
She doesn't qualify to currently pass on US citizenship, i.e., the kids can't get US passports right now, while abroad, because of what you said above. The kids must get immigrant visas.

However, once the kids enter the USA using the immigrant visas, they become USCs (instead of PRs) because one parent is a USC.

Rene
Ah, thanks. Was wondering how that worked (may need to use it when my kids have kids).
Old Aug 29th 2016, 12:48 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry too much about the religious aspect, we are not religious nor are our other expat friends and families. Sure you get the occasional person who asks 'which church do you go to' but when I have replied 'oh I'm not at all religious' only a couple of people have seemed taken aback, but no-one has questioned me about it or been pushy.

Weirdest moment was volunteering at my sons school with another mother. She arrived and had barely taken off her jacket and the first thing she asked me was 'have you accepted Jesus as your personal savior?'. My face must have been priceless, I didn't volunteer again.....

Hubby works with a total mixed bunch, Muslim, Hindu, Christian but the only time it comes up is when they are out for lunch/dinner for dietary considerations.

Not academic so can't answer your other questions, but general stuff I'd be happy to help - we are just south of Houston.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Wanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
A crazy optimist with good punctuation?
I'm blaming the iPad, some of that punctuation had nothing to do with me (reason's?!). Although in fairness, academics are not known for their ability to write. I spend my time telling my students that if they can't understand what they are reading, before they assume it is because they aren't smart enough, they should remember that many academic papers are not very well written.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Wanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much for your helpful thoughts and advice. Academia has changed so much over the last 20 years in the UK and it seems the US, and not in ways that have benefit Academics. You have given me a lot of interesting information to think about. Academia in the UK is really tricky at the moment, and I was sort of hoping that the US, being a bigger pool, might have better potential. I do also have the advantage that geographically I think there would be more possibilities. Nevertheless, it is clear that both a lot of locations, and a lot of colleges would not be good options. My conclusion is that the same things that I need to advance in the UK are the things that I will need to secure the sort of job I want in the US. So, all these thoughts and advice leave me to think that I may have to play a slightly longer game, and wait till my sabbatical is over, and my CV looks fuller, and then apply.

In the meantime, I can work on networking, and will do as much research as I can to find out what areas we would theoretically want to be. It will be a complicated combination of area, quality of the College, fit to the department and cost of living. So I'm pretty sure I will be back with lots of questions about different areas of the US. If anyone has any thoughts about the best cities/towns for Academic atheist Londoner expats with small children and a modest income, let me know!
Old Aug 29th 2016, 9:20 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

If you are happy to move to a smaller town, and can cope with cold winters, give Penn State in State College, Pennsylvania a look. The local schools are good, the location is beautiful and big cities are within reach if you need a fix. We are not affiliated with PSU at all, but are enjoying the town very much as our new home. Religion, or the lack of it, just doesn't seem to be an issue here.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Not knowing your field of academia, research interests, level of experience it is hard to offer advice. I think academics do fairly will in the US - certainly tenured faculty do.

This website might be a good start for research:
https://www.higheredjobs.com/

It also has some interesting articles. It pulls data from most of the college/ uni databases from what I have experienced so makes job searches easier.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Isn't Retzie an academic? Maybe she will come along later.
Now reformed

Originally Posted by HDWill
Seems like researching a particular city or region is putting the cart way before the horse. From what I know of academia, tenure-track positions are extremely hard to come by, and you have no say where you end up. That said, most 'college towns' have a sizable progressive/liberal community, even those in deeply conservative regions.
A thousand times, this. Apply for all the jobs; wait and see what comes out the other end. Researching cities, etc. is the path to madness. Seriously, for your own sanity, I wouldn't do anything more than google the location of the school. The only research worth doing at this stage is into the department and whether you would bring something to it.

Things to note:
  • Academic salaries here are pretty crap. I was fine supporting myself on one, I do not like the idea of trying to include one other, let alone three. I think it would be tough anywhere remotely liveable.
  • I always had 9 month salaries (part of the reason the salaries were so crap). This meant I had the entire summer off, plus 3-4 weeks over Christmas, Spring break, extra days over Thanksgiving. Lots of time off. Of course, when I was research-active, I spent every break in class frantically researching/writing papers, so was not 'off' at all and just didn't get paid for doing a big chunk of my job
  • Read up on the terminology. 'Lecturer' here means 'teaching-only, short-term contracts, totally crap pay'. Tenure-track positions will be called 'Assistant Professor'. 'Adjunct Professor' means 'slave'. Seriously, do not even consider it (unless you are independently wealthy).

We are heading into the hiring season for Fall 2017, so expect to be submitting applications up to the end of the year. You wouldn't be moving until next summer, and you will usually get a week or two to respond to a job offer (which can often be extended), so definitely hold off on researching anything location-specific. Don't worry, there's plenty of visa reading you can do instead
Old Sep 5th 2016, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I wouldn't worry too much about the religious aspect, we are not religious nor are our other expat friends and families. Sure you get the occasional person who asks 'which church do you go to' but when I have replied 'oh I'm not at all religious' only a couple of people have seemed taken aback, but no-one has questioned me about it or been pushy.
Its well known at work that I am completely godless heathen, but nonetheless, I was at the funeral of a colleague's wife last weekend, in his Pentacostalist church. Its about respect.