Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Quality of life for US academics?

Quality of life for US academics?

Old Aug 28th 2016, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quality of life for US academics?

Seems like researching a particular city or region is putting the cart way before the horse. From what I know of academia, tenure-track positions are extremely hard to come by, and you have no say where you end up. That said, most 'college towns' have a sizable progressive/liberal community, even those in deeply conservative regions.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 9:26 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
Seems like researching a particular city or region is putting the cart way before the horse. From what I know of academia, tenure-track positions are extremely hard to come by, and you have no say where you end up. That said, most 'college towns' have a sizable progressive/liberal community, even those in deeply conservative regions.
yup. From what I've heard about UTA, it's really who you know that gets you in. OP should start networking.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Wanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
so it turns out the salaries are public info...
https://salaries.texastribune.org/un...xas-at-austin/

and for psychology dept
https://salaries.texastribune.org/un...of-psychology/

so looking at the salaries of the professors in the department, you'd be struggling if you were at the bottom ($43K) but only 2 people up and the salary is pretty decent. You could live on $97.5k in Austin
Thank you so much for finding that! That is both very helpful and encouraging. It is great to know you guys settled in easily too. They are currently advertising posts at A&M in Corpus Christi, but I'm sort of thinking IF Texas were possible, Houston or Austin would be the best (only?) options.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Wanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingacademic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
😬 Yes, you are right. Given there are no jobs being advertised, there are some big flaws in my plans. But, if in reality we couldn't afford it even IF a job was advertised AND I applied AND was offered it, then there is no point in looking, thinking and applying. Austin is serving as my test example because theoretically, there are lots of good reason's for being there. And you never know! In my experience, you need to be a crazy optimist to survive in Academia nowadays.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 9:53 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wanderingacademic
Thank you so much for finding that! That is both very helpful and encouraging. It is great to know you guys settled in easily too. They are currently advertising posts at A&M in Corpus Christi, but I'm sort of thinking IF Texas were possible, Houston or Austin would be the best (only?) options.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

so looking at the salaries of the professors in the department, you'd be struggling if you were at the bottom ($43K) but only 2 people up and the salary is pretty decent. You could live on $97.5k in Austin
True, salaries of public employees are available, but often include fringe benefits like travel and conferences. When I look at my salary, it is nothing like I see on my pay stub every month. It’s about a 20k difference per year, which makes me believe that the benefits the university system pays for me are included; I expect that this may vary from state to state. Also, administrators/deans/chairs make more money, but still have an academic rank, so it’s hard to see which roles are faculty and which are admin. A Ph.D. or Ed.D is generally required to move past the assistant professor rank.

Last edited by Bob; Aug 29th 2016 at 2:10 am. Reason: fixing quote
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:13 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by DebzinUS

True, salaries of public employees are available, but often include fringe benefits like travel and conferences. When I look at my salary, it is nothing like I see on my pay stub every month. It’s about a 20k difference per year, which makes me believe that the benefits the university system pays for me are included; I expect that this may vary from state to state. Also, administrators/deans/chairs make more money, but still have an academic rank, so it’s hard to see which roles are faculty and which are admin. A Ph.D. or Ed.D is generally required to move past the assistant professor rank.
On the link I posted you could look up the salary of specific individuals.
The amounts that the athletics coaches get is enormous!!! Longhorns really ought to be doing better for that kind of money.

Last edited by Bob; Aug 29th 2016 at 2:11 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wanderingacademic
� ���� Yes, you are right. Given there are no jobs being advertised, there are some big flaws in my plans. But, if in reality we couldn't afford it even IF a job was advertised AND I applied AND was offered it, then there is no point in looking, thinking and applying. Austin is serving as my test example because theoretically, there are lots of good reason's for being there. And you never know! In my experience, you need to be a crazy optimist to survive in Academia nowadays.

A crazy optimist with good punctuation?
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:21 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
A crazy optimist with good punctuation?
watch out Nutmegger ----- she's a professor of psychology so she'll have you pegged!
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

The Chronicle of Higher Education has a search engine for all types of open faculty/admin positions in academia.

https://chroniclevitae.com/job_search/new
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
watch out Nutmegger ----- she's a professor of psychology so she'll have you pegged!

LOL! Caught me on one of my biggest bugbears. When I was first here I worked as administrator of a nonprofit that had after-school classes and had to type up the end-of-term reports for the teachers. If I was a parent and had seen the spelling and grammar on those reports before I fixed them, I would have had an absolute fit that those people were teaching my child!
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:28 pm
Austin. TX.

that site for salaries is a corker.

Brene Brown earns $51,250. She must be living off the proceeds of her books. This woman is a god.

I also noticed that at UT, in every dept I looked at, the median female salary was a good 10% lower than the median male salary. Is that good (in that its ONLY 10%) or appalling because it is 10% lower......
Old Aug 29th 2016, 2:03 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Academic life and benefits vary greatly depending on the university. It's not like in the UK where you will get pretty uniform holidays and a USS pension plan.

Things to consider are whether the university is private or public...ie in the state system and obviously there is an enormous range in prestige that also comes with differences in salary and benefits.

But as an example I was an Associate Professor at state medical school and got 4 weeks vacation plus holidays like Christmas and July 4th etc making a total of just over 5 weeks. My salary was $150k and there was a good state employees final salary pension plan.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 3:40 am
Just Joined

julia257 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

I am an academic and I have been in us for fourteen years now - compared to the Uk i am having a wonderful time. Amazingly I find I have less classes to teach more time to research great benefits and retirement and I have tenure.
I am in California and found it relatively easy to find employment and I obtained my first academic job here through the internet on Chronicle of higher education.
I don't know much about Texas and understand Austin is the best place to be there. Good luck - I hear it is more difficult to find tenure track positions in the humanities.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 8:54 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The kids will automatically become US citizens, and will need to get US passports for future international travel.
Is this necessarily the case as the mother has "never lived in the US" according to her post? As such her children would not be granted US citizenship by virtue of the mother as the mother did not satisfy the physical presence test in the USA (5 years in the USA, 2 of which are after the age 14).

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship...hrough-parents

Or is there a different rule for entering the USA with kids in this situation that grants them citizenship?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.