Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for renting prior to landing in the US

Qualifying for renting prior to landing in the US

Old Feb 20th 2020, 10:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifying for renting prior to landing in the US

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Where I live, lease approvals take at least 48 hours to come through - longer when there is no credit history/score/background to check since that usually has to be written off by a manager. ....
Ah, of course, you're assuming that nobody ever gets a lease with a private landlord.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 10:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ah, of course, you're assuming that nobody ever gets a lease with a private landlord.
I work with private landlords all the time
The way things work here is that the tenant doesn't pay the fees and the landlord gets charged 1 month's rent by a realtor for finding and screening a new tenant. In my experience ( 4 years +) a landlord that doesn't even want to pay to get decent tenants in also doesn't want to be bothered by maintenance.... I've learned to avoid this type of landlord. Also, most of the people I work with have reasonable budgets and want nice houses and they almost always go through the realtor network.
Old Feb 21st 2020, 1:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I work with private landlords all the time
The way things work here is that the tenant doesn't pay the fees and the landlord gets charged 1 month's rent by a realtor for finding and screening a new tenant. In my experience ( 4 years +) a landlord that doesn't even want to pay to get decent tenants in also doesn't want to be bothered by maintenance.... I've learned to avoid this type of landlord. Also, most of the people I work with have reasonable budgets and want nice houses and they almost always go through the realtor network.
Why do you always want to extrapolate your personal experience of the re-lo/ upper end of the rental business in a "tech-hub" city to every corner of the US?

It is clear from reading many BE posts over the years, that rentals work differently in California from the east coast, and NYC seems to be different from everywhere. Then aside from geographic differences there are "market segment" differences, so those on a relo package will end up with a very different experience from someone paying their own way in the mid-market or lower rental sector. Round here (rural NC) there are very few agents who even touch rentals - there just isn't enough money in it, but then given the internet revolution, I am not sure why a landlord would want to cough up a month's rent anyway, at least not outside NYC.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 21st 2020 at 1:13 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 2:28 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why do you always want to extrapolate your personal experience of the re-lo/ upper end of the rental business in a "tech-hub" city to every corner of the US?

It is clear from reading many BE posts over the years, that rentals work differently in California from the east coast, and NYC seems to be different from everywhere. Then aside from geographic differences there are "market segment" differences, so those on a relo package will end up with a very different experience from someone paying their own way in the mid-market or lower rental sector. Round here (rural NC) there are very few agents who even touch rentals - there just isn't enough money in it, but then given the internet revolution, I am not sure why a landlord would want to cough up a month's rent anyway, at least not outside NYC.
If you knew about this at all you would know that it is the renter who coughs up in NYC.
There have been a few startups that attempted to bypass the realtor/broker situation doing the applicant screenings + credit/background checks. I don't think any of them have lasted more than 6 months. If anyone knows any, then I'd be delighted to hear about it.
I make it clear from my posts that I know about my area in particular. I also know about how applications generally work ( credit and background checks). I work with multi-national companies only so obviously I don't deal with people with no jobs, no credit and little money. The OP doesn't sound like he's going to be the latter.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

ssn or no - ssn. You will get the W8 until you become tax resident in the USA if you have an account that pays even the teensiest bit of interest. And they will send you one every single time you make any tiny change to the account details.
An ssn is not a federal requirement to open an account but identity checks are. This is where the banks all have different policies. I mostly can't open Chase accounts for my new clients because they don't the documents to satisfy Chase's policy and the ssn is not an issue there anyway.
As to "proof" that it is your address - well again that differs from bank to bank. Wells Fargo and BofA don't care which address you use so long as it is a real address and not a PO Box ( they check).
For Bof A and WF all you need to open an account
passport with visa
home country driver's license
home country bank debit or credit card with your name on it
$100 cash
c'est tout folks
i didn’t do a W-8, never heard of it. Assuming you are returning as a tax resident, in the end you’ll be tax resident from the first date of entry in that year, i.e. prior to opening the account, the first day of entry into the USA necessary to do so in the first place.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 12:28 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by LouisB
i didn’t do a W-8, never heard of it. Assuming you are returning as a tax resident, in the end you’ll be tax resident from the first date of entry in that year, i.e. prior to opening the account, the first day of entry into the USA necessary to do so in the first place.
who is "returning" ? I believe the thread is about someone starting out.
The W8 allows the bank to pay all of any interest earned on a current account until the person meets tax residency requirements. I know that I had about a million of them sent in the mail when we first arrived. My clients also fill out the first ones at the banks.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

who is "returning" ? I believe the thread is about someone starting out.
The W8 allows the bank to pay all of any interest earned on a current account until the person meets tax residency requirements. I know that I had about a million of them sent in the mail when we first arrived. My clients also fill out the first ones at the banks.
I see what you mean, maybe it’s something I did at the bank and forgot about then. Meeting residency strictly, even if anticipated, isn’t satisfied until the criteria for it are met I presume, n days out of m or whatever the rules are at the moment. Makes sense.