Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for renting prior to landing in the US

Qualifying for renting prior to landing in the US

Old Feb 16th 2020, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifying for renting prior to landing in the US

Originally Posted by Bob
The thing is, you applying for a rental, that has 30 other folks applying, the landlord isn't going to give a shit and just go with who on paper is the safest bet.

Banks, they don't care. They just need to confirm your identity.
Probably a lot of truth in what you say. I guess that i'll have to try and sell my situation in a way that puts the landlord's mind at rest.......together with paying more than a few months rent upfront.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I came over for 1 week to do various essential things, get a US bank account etc. I did not apply for SSN at that time for reasons given above, and to do so reliably you would I think need some more time.
when it came to rent, they were much more interested in my job, salary, security than credit score (which didn’t exist) - the credit issue didn’t even come up as such.
I guess it does come down to the exact landlords in question but none were too upset about that.
key thing is to meet the rent multipliers and have a strong letter of employment (good job etc)

when I came over again we stayed in an Airbnb to give time to look at apartments. Bit of a pain but I can’t imagine picking somewhere to live remotely. Especially somewhere like NYC where there are so many and varied neighbourhoods. I guess t depends where you are going and if you already know it. Renting somewhere that later turns out bad is going to be a sad year of your life!

During time in Airbnb SSN was obtained and then once somewhere was found it was plain sailing. We did think about doing remotely but in reality it’s not that easy or a sure way to get a good outcome.

just some thoughts, ideas. Good luck!
Old Feb 19th 2020, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
FWIW I came over for 1 week to do various essential things, get a US bank account etc. I did not apply for SSN at that time for reasons given above, and to do so reliably you would I think need some more time.
when it came to rent, they were much more interested in my job, salary, security than credit score (which didn’t exist) - the credit issue didn’t even come up as such.
I guess it does come down to the exact landlords in question but none were too upset about that.
key thing is to meet the rent multipliers and have a strong letter of employment (good job etc)

when I came over again we stayed in an Airbnb to give time to look at apartments. Bit of a pain but I can’t imagine picking somewhere to live remotely. Especially somewhere like NYC where there are so many and varied neighbourhoods. I guess t depends where you are going and if you already know it. Renting somewhere that later turns out bad is going to be a sad year of your life!

During time in Airbnb SSN was obtained and then once somewhere was found it was plain sailing. We did think about doing remotely but in reality it’s not that easy or a sure way to get a good outcome. As you say though, it will vary from landlord to landlord.

just some thoughts, ideas. Good luck!
Thanks Loius,

So just to confirm, you had no issue opening a bank account without an SSN? I must say that it puts my mind at rest a little with regards to a huge amount of weight being placed on your credit score.

I've been in contact with several realtors who i feel have a good idea of what we're looking for, they can be my eyes and ears and i'm in the fortunate position that i can jump on a plane at a moments notice.

Thanks again
Old Feb 19th 2020, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mic1
Thanks Loius,

So just to confirm, you had no issue opening a bank account without an SSN? I must say that it puts my mind at rest a little with regards to a huge amount of weight being placed on your credit score.

I've been in contact with several realtors who i feel have a good idea of what we're looking for, they can be my eyes and ears and i'm in the fortunate position that i can jump on a plane at a moments notice.

Thanks again
I had trouble for sure, but after a few goes I found a branch that agreed to it. Seems it’s not illegal (for a simple checking account) but they each have their policies. Some banks flat out refused. TD bank were the first to say ok, so they got my first account, I still have it, they are a decent bank with lots of branches in this area (NYC / Tri-state) and good opening hours too. I’ve found them to be helpful for newcomers...
Old Feb 19th 2020, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LouisB
I had trouble for sure, but after a few goes I found a branch that agreed to it. Seems it’s not illegal (for a simple checking account) but they each have their policies. Some banks flat out refused. TD bank were the first to say ok, so they got my first account, I still have it, they are a decent bank with lots of branches in this area (NYC / Tri-state) and good opening hours too. I’ve found them to be helpful for newcomers...
Thanks Loius, so reading between the lines, it obviously makes it easier to have an SSN. I'll see how i go.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 1:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Loius,

You only need a SSN if you want an interest account. Chances are, you'll still need to speak to a supervisor, as chances are it'll have to be set up manually as the software might not give the teller the option but it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute

Walk into a bank of america, set it up as a non-resident account (you fill in a simple W8BEN meaning no interest).
No SSN required, just your passport and if I remember correctly a secondary form of photo ID.
You will walk out with a temporary debit card. Beware keeping no balance in the account - they WILL close the account, so keep at minimum $1 in at all times...and be aware that bank accounts charge a monthly fee over here unless you have a higher balance/regular deposits.

You can add your SSN at a later date when you have it, and convert the existing account to interest bearing.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Loius, so reading between the lines, it obviously makes it easier to have an SSN. I'll see how i go.
sure. It’s definitely legal to open a non-interest checking account without SSN but different banks and staff naturally have different understanding on this, and internal policies too.

I think just give it a try and try others if you get no luck.

I opened a full genuine US bank account without issue once I got somewhere who would deal with it. Perhaps an issue is I was in central manhattan, very busy, everyone rushed and not taking time to deal with it properly...

fyi I used my work address temporarily and gave also UK address and on return just let them know the SSN once I had it. It was no issue and the account didn’t need to be special or converted later. It took my work DD while I was away back in the U.K. which was the main goal at the time! So you should be fine, just persevere if you have to.. 🙂
Old Feb 20th 2020, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm actually back over there in a couple of weeks, would love to be able to open a bank account to get the ball rolling but i guess there's no possible way without a perm address?

I have a few friends out there who have put their hands up to say i can use their address temporarily but not sure how great their credit rating is as you never can tell.......new cars and sofa's don't mean much. If i was to use their address (and in fairness, i do stay there quite often when i visit) and they had poor credit, could the fact that i've once been registered there have a negative impact on my credit rating from the get-go?
Old Feb 20th 2020, 5:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm actually back over there in a couple of weeks, would love to be able to open a bank account to get the ball rolling but i guess there's no possible way without a perm address?

I have a few friends out there who have put their hands up to say i can use their address temporarily but not sure how great their credit rating is as you never can tell.......new cars and sofa's don't mean much. If i was to use their address (and in fairness, i do stay there quite often when i visit) and they had poor credit, could the fact that i've once been registered there have a negative impact on my credit rating from the get-go?
Your address history is not part of your credit score, so you are worrying needlessly there.

It is however worth noting that other information databases do link your name to your address, and by extension to everyone who has used that address. These databases also link you to family members, and therefore to family members of previous owners/occupiers of any home that you buy or rent. This can potentially cause things to get a bit weird in that regard - we bought a house from an elderly woman who's daughter had married a man with the same surname as me - and one of the information databases that lenders have access to had flagged the former owner's daughter and grandson as "possible relatives" of me (I have no blood relatives that I know of in the US, certainly no close relatives other than my wife and daughter). Similar linkage to prior owners/ tenants of another house we bought had, I discovered, linked me to several people with criminal records - though thankfully not with the same surname as me! But there is no reliable way to check that quickly before you rent or buy a home, so that is just a crap-shoot factor when you rent or buy a home.

In short, there's going to be a lot of data linked to your name when you live in the US, but I would recommend that as you have no control over it, you don't worry about it - as despite phantom relatives and "associations" with several people with criminal records (including one that I discovered who was subsequently convicted of first degree homicide!), I am not aware that these things have ever impacted me negatively in accessing credit, opening accounts, or indeed any other way.

All that said, you will need to prove a link to any address that you give a bank when opening an account, so it isn't just a matter of "borrowing" your friend's address, you'll need some mail sent to you at that address to show the bank when you try to open an account.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 20th 2020 at 6:03 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 9:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

ssn or no - ssn. You will get the W8 until you become tax resident in the USA if you have an account that pays even the teensiest bit of interest. And they will send you one every single time you make any tiny change to the account details.
An ssn is not a federal requirement to open an account but identity checks are. This is where the banks all have different policies. I mostly can't open Chase accounts for my new clients because they don't the documents to satisfy Chase's policy and the ssn is not an issue there anyway.
As to "proof" that it is your address - well again that differs from bank to bank. Wells Fargo and BofA don't care which address you use so long as it is a real address and not a PO Box ( they check).
For Bof A and WF all you need to open an account
passport with visa
home country driver's license
home country bank debit or credit card with your name on it
$100 cash
c'est tout folks
Old Feb 20th 2020, 9:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... For Bof A and WF all you need to open an account
passport with visa
home country driver's license
home country bank debit or credit card with your name on it
$100 cash .....
Your passport meets the "proof of name", "date of birth", and "government issued ID #" requirements and your DL obviously also proves your name and DoB, and has an address on it, sufficient for compliance with the USA PATRIOT Act.

My tip would be, if you live anywhere near a large university campus, to go to a bank on/ near the campus because they are likely to be familiar with opening accounts for recent immigrants with few of the usual expected records for opening an account.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 20th 2020 at 9:54 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 10:18 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your passport meets the "proof of name", "date of birth", and "government issued ID #" requirements and your DL obviously also proves your name and DoB, and has an address on it, sufficient for compliance with the USA PATRIOT Act.

My tip would be, if you live anywhere near a large university campus, to go to a bank on/ near the campus because they are likely to be familiar with opening accounts for recent immigrants with few of the usual expected records for opening an account.
The opening of a bank account is now the personal banker ticking boxes on a screen.
The terms are "primary" and "secondary" id and they are very specific about what they will accept. In my experience there is no longer the scenario where the junior will turn you away right at the beginning because they don't know what you can "get away with" in terms of documentation. In most cases, the information is right there on the bank's website - although it can be tricky to find.
My local Chase banks know most new arrivals can't open an account because they require proof of US address with your name on it and they won't accept a lease agreement strangely enough.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
... they won't accept a lease agreement strangely enough.
Not really, because you can print a lease yourself and present it, and Chase just saying "no leases" sidesteps the issue of branch staff having to decide if the lease is legitimate or just a fabrication.

In most cases a lease would lead to a contract for utilities within 24-48 hours generating a document that is much more easily recognized and verified, though honestly probably nearly as easy to spoof as a lease if you really wanted to.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 10:31 pm
Austin. TX.

where I live, lease approvals take at least 48 hours to come through - longer when there is no credit history/score/background to check since that usually has to be written off by a manager. Hardly anyone turns up, finds a place to live immediately, applies for a lease and moves in all within a few days and a bank account is needed to even start that process!! I can't even begin to imagine someone trying to pay in cash. Although I had a few funny ones last year!
Bank account is the first thing to be done. Don't fixate too much on it, you can close the account 3 months down the line if you want to and go elsewhere when you have all the documentation needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.