Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN MOVING TO PA USA NEED HELP

QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN MOVING TO PA USA NEED HELP

Old Jun 1st 2015, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Hinchy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN MOVING TO PA USA NEED HELP

21 male, 6 months ago i finished my full apprenticeship to be a electrician with my 17th edition and inspection and testing completed and IPAF licence . I recently got my green card with my parents living there already and moving this January , I need advise on the process of converting my qualifications to the US standards.

Thanks .

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 4th 2015 at 12:04 am. Reason: Normal font size plse
Old Jun 1st 2015, 5:07 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN MOVING TO PA USA NEED HELP

Quite simply, you can't. There are vastly different standards in the US, which will require you to retrain.

You might get away without doing the formal qualifications if you can get yours translated, but I'm almost certain you'll need to redo a form of apprenticeship.

How to Become a Journeyman Electrician (US): 5 Steps

You should also note that licensing requirements can and do vary between States.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

US practices are very different, hopefully what you have done so far will helpget your US qualifications but there is no swap.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As Boiler and CS said, your UK license is close to worthless and even though you might be able to take reduced classroom training prior to taking the exams, I don't believe there is any way to avoid having to start over with your practical in-the-field experience that is required to get a license to work as a self-employed electrician.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

There is no way. Believe me - I have tried - I have the same set of papers 236, 2381, 2391, IPAF, IOSH member and a bunch of other stuff also. That said, I didn't have any difficulty finding work over here, just not as a spark. You are still at an age where doing it all again would make sense if you are going to be in the US permanently.

Find your local IBEW chapter - they can help.

IBEW > Home
Old Jun 1st 2015, 10:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Or hang out at Home Depot and get jobs with all the other shifty, under the table folks, who aren't licensed trades?
Old Jun 1st 2015, 11:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Or hang out at Home Depot and get jobs with all the other shifty, under the table folks, who aren't licensed trades?
That might work in MA, but I have never seen anyone hanging out at any of the Home Depots in NC, nor the Lowes, looking for casual work.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 1st 2015 at 11:08 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

NC is special, everybody knows that.

Very common in CA, not so much here.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

The on ramp to I95 at exit 8 in Stamford CT is the place round here for 'day labor'

Looks like anything from changing light bulbs and sheetrock repairs to contract killing is on offer.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 3:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That might work in MA, but I have never seen anyone hanging out at any of the Home Depots in NC, nor the Lowes, looking for casual work.
You need to get out more.

If it ain't Lowes or Home Depot, it's somewhere else that day labourers hang out.

All that landscaping, road laying etc, doesn't happen with fully paid, on the up staff :/

It wasn't a serious suggestion, but it happens even in podunk states like Maine.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Bob
You need to get out more. .....
I assumed you were correct, and so headed off to consult Google. What I found was this:
Had to laugh when I saw this post, sorry Day laborers don't stand around our home improvement stores in Charlotte waiting for someone to come by and hire them. I think I've seen that on tv as something they do in California right? .....
And this:
.... however, the stores have run them off for the most part. .....
And this:
You are looking for day laborers. I've not seen that type of area/activity in Charlotte.
And a load of discussions about people looking in different places and finding nobody.

I have now reached the conclusion that you are not correct.

ETA Mrs P tells me some hang out near the concrete plant, and that some of the crowd down by the soup kitchen are looking for a gig.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 2nd 2015 at 3:49 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW there are frequently people hanging out at the far end of the car parks of Home Depot in trucks or battered old cars - all three HDs around here. But not Lowes for some reason!

We needed a spa moved about 6 houses down the road, and found a pair at HD who were actually in the process of taking a different spa to the dump, so ideal candidates. Brought two more people with them which was fortunate as the thing was damn heavy. For 5 minutes of work they earned enough, while the "pros" wanted thrice the amount for half the people. I doubt either paid (or would have paid) taxes.

But for qualified trades like sparkies, no.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 8:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by GeoffM
But for qualified trades like sparkies, no.
Depends, might be qualified in other countries but not wanting to start over to get qualified over here.

The missus knows an electrical engineer back home, working as a sparky under the table here. He's here on a student visa and not able to get a job on campus and said a couple days work on the blag keeps him going. Similar situation for quite a few of the folks apparently. They're not all completely unskilled and the land/construction crews know it and the rest probably rely on craigslist.

Though they're all hanging out at the McD's in town, $1 for any sized coffee and usually get picked up at breakfast time.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends, might be qualified in other countries but not wanting to start over to get qualified over here.

The missus knows an electrical engineer back home, working as a sparky under the table here. He's here on a student visa and not able to get a job on campus and said a couple days work on the blag keeps him going. Similar situation for quite a few of the folks apparently. They're not all completely unskilled and the land/construction crews know it and the rest probably rely on craigslist. .....
It is both legal and normal for a fully licensed electrician to employ trainee and unlicensed electricians to work under his supervision, so a licensed electrician might consider a trained electrician not licensed in the US to be a pretty useful "find".
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So you'd trust somebody unqualified to fiddle with your house electrics?

There are some things I do myself. There are others that are best left to people who know what they're doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.