Reload this Page >

Qualifications???

Qualifications???

Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

FollowingHim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualifications???

Hello everyone, I'm new here.
I am planning to move to america next year with my US marine boyfriend. I was wondering if ayone has any idea what are useful qulifications to get before I go that might help my chance to get work. As he is a marine we will probably end up in two places so i'll probably end up having to move jobs at least once.
He retires in 4 years and we plan to return to England so I'm not really looking for a career just a job to get me through while i'm there.
What are the best qulifications to look into and do british qualifications transfer to america?
I am currently a train conductor in England so guessing this isn't gonna be any use when I finally get to the US
Thank you in advance for any info
Roxy
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifications???

Nothing that I can think of that you can get in time.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FollowingHim
Hello everyone, I'm new here.
I am planning to move to america next year with my US marine boyfriend. I was wondering if ayone has any idea what are useful qulifications to get before I go that might help my chance to get work. As he is a marine we will probably end up in two places so i'll probably end up having to move jobs at least once.
He retires in 4 years and we plan to return to England so I'm not really looking for a career just a job to get me through while i'm there.
What are the best qulifications to look into and do british qualifications transfer to america?
I am currently a train conductor in England so guessing this isn't gonna be any use when I finally get to the US
Thank you in advance for any info
Roxy
You might look into getting a GED when you get here -- it's the minimum qualification for most jobs. Google: GED community college <your location> for info.

But generally a British accent will be by far your best qualification.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

What qualifications do you already have? Then people can tell you if they'll be worth anything in the US.

Presume you've already sorted out which visa you're going over on too? There is a Marriage Based Visas section of the forum above ^^^^ and the helpful folk in there will be able to answer any questions you have about that side of things.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 14th 2011 at 3:51 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Fingers crossed a british accent and a smile will work for me

I don't have may qualifications, did GCSE's at school and passed 10 grade A-C including science maths and english.

I also studied sports therapy which involved massage and other sports treatments but there is no work where I live for that area where I live.

Working on the railway I don't need any qualifications so havent gained any work based qual's here.
I work for First group who operate the school buses and grey hound in the US so looking into the chance of a transfer but no holding much hope for that.

I am planning a 3 month career break to the US using the VWP then we will be applyig for a fiance visa so hoping to get my visa at the end of next year or beginning of 2013
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I am planning a 3 month career break to the US using the VWP then we will be applyig for a fiance visa so hoping to get my visa at the end of next year or beginning of 2013
This bit sounds like it could do with some more research.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Does something sound wrong with that plan?
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:08 pm
Septicity

Does something sound wrong with that plan?
Yep -- sounds like you've read the government-provided info but haven't understood it.

Where is bf stationed?
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

He is currently on a 2 year transfer in england but we are waiting to hear where he is going to go back to, he is hoping for Washington
What have i misunderstood?
Is there any advantage to him being in the forces when we apply for the visa?

Last edited by FollowingHim; Jul 14th 2011 at 4:26 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:48 pm
Septicity

He is currently on a 2 year transfer in england but we are waiting to hear where he is going to go back to, he is hoping for Washington
What have i misunderstood?
Is there any advantage to him being in the forces when we apply for the visa?
So, if I've got it right, he's currently in the UK, but will be stationed back in the US next year. You plan to live with him when he returns to the US. In around 4 years when he retires, you both plan to return to the UK.

Your current plan is to go out with him on the VWP and then apply for the K1 fiancée visa.

Personally, I'd look at marrying now, a CR1 immigrant visa rather than a K1 (which sets you up to live and work as soon as you hit US soil), and you'll nave time to fit in a naturalisation before you leave.

Your current plan requires the whim of CBP, time apart, extra transatlantic flights, more paperwork and cost, and twiddling your thumbs for 3 months after you arrive waiting for your EAD.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. Yeah you have understood our plans. I dont think getting married just yet is an option for us as we havent been together long enough really and not sure we could plan a wedding between now and october which is when he has to go back.

I need to do more research but it looks really complicated and confusing from what i've seen so far!!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:06 pm
Septicity

Thanks for your reply. Yeah you have understood our plans. I dont think getting married just yet is an option for us as we havent been together long enough really and not sure we could plan a wedding between now and october which is when he has to go back.

I need to do more research but it looks really complicated and confusing from what i've seen so far!!
Yep -- US immigration is a nightmare. Post your immigration question in here and see if they can come up with anything better.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you're thinking of marrying him in the future and doing the K1...marry him now and do the DCF route, it's much quicker and cheaper in the long run.

As for qualifications, depends on the local job market and what you're interested in...unless it's a degree though, most won't have a clue, so wouldn't bother about it.

If you ended up somewhere like Boston, which has the T, there's train type jobs, though no idea how easy they are to come by.