British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   QQ what's my alien number? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/qq-whats-my-alien-number-902352/)

Chesten Aug 23rd 2017 1:01 am

QQ what's my alien number?

I can email attorneys in the morning of course. But I bet folk here know the answer. I'm completing some forms for GC submission and they ask of each of us for our alien number. What is it? I'm looking to my visa and i94 for clues but can't see anything with that field name. Could it be the alpha numeric string in red in our visas beginning with letter L? Or is it the admission number on our i94s?

lansbury Aug 23rd 2017 1:10 am

Re: QQ what's my alien number?

It should be the number starting with the letter A

Which thinking about it isn't on the visa, it is on the GC as far as I can remember from 8 years ago.

tom169 Aug 23rd 2017 1:18 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12322402)
It should be the number starting with the letter A

Which thinking about it isn't on the visa, it is on the GC as far as I can remember from 8 years ago.

It is on my K1, bottom left under the heading 'Annotation' :)

Chesten Aug 23rd 2017 1:21 am

Maybe as an H4 I don't have one? Under "annotation" I have a comment PA <husband's name>

Pulaski Aug 23rd 2017 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Chesten (Post 12322406)
Maybe as an H4 I don't have one? Under "annotation" I have a comment PA <husband's name>

It's an A followed by, IIRC, nine digits. Check all the visa paper work for reference numbers. ..... Not only was mine on my green card, I am fairly certain it was hand written on the page where my passport was stamped when I entered on my CR-1.

S Folinsky Aug 23rd 2017 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Chesten (Post 12322399)
I can email attorneys in the morning of course. But I bet folk here know the answer. I'm completing some forms for GC submission and they ask of each of us for our alien number. What is it? I'm looking to my visa and i94 for clues but can't see anything with that field name. Could it be the alpha numeric string in red in our visas beginning with letter L? Or is it the admission number on our i94s?

The number is given to an individual who is going to have a permanent "A file." It is the only number that will apply to the person and not the application.

The current format is "A xxx-xxx-xxx." (Until not so long ago it was an 8 digit number).

Most non-immigrants (other than K-1 fiance's) will not have an "A number." The exceptions will be for a prior adjustment application or a deportation/removal proceeding.

The filing for adjustment will cause the creation of an A file. When I was in practice, I would put in a "---" rather than "none" so the minions of the dark forces could neatly interlineate the new number.

Good luck.

S Folinsky Aug 23rd 2017 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12322439)
It might be longer than you realize - I am fairly certain mine was A+9 in 2001.

Just saw one today at the clinic and it was 8 digit from 2000. That said, they had already started putting a zero in front to have nine digits.

(As an aside, when the Los Angeles County Bar Association went online, your state bar number was your default password. When I went to set my account, it would not let me in. Early Monday morning, I call tech support. He said he would try to sign me in, what was my bar number? So, I start "six, ..." and interrupts "put a zero in front.")

Steve_ Aug 23rd 2017 5:27 am

I never understand the format of A numbers because mine was issued in the early 1990s and it is a nine-digit number but I have a relative who got one in 2002 and it is eight digits long.

Anyway it's quite possible that the OP doesn't have an A# or might have an A# but it's not on any of the paperwork she has. Given that the husband is work authorized he probably has one, she might have.

If you haven't got any paperwork with it on (which is quite possible) the only way to find out is to make an Infopass appointment and go to the USCIS office in person with ID as they won't give it out over the phone. The I-94 number is not the A#. Usually it's not required, but it does help USCIS avoid mistakes if you give them the thing.

Pulaski Aug 24th 2017 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 12322477)
I never understand the format of A numbers because mine was issued in the early 1990s and it is a nine-digit number .....

I am fairly certain that mine, issued in 2001, was A+9.

durham_lad Aug 27th 2017 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12323943)
I am fairly certain that mine, issued in 2001, was A+9.

I have a copy of my green card issued 1993 and it was A+9 digits.

ivanidea Sep 2nd 2017 10:10 pm

I do not have an 'A' number on my green card.

I do have a 9 digit USCIS# number, which starts with a zero, and has CR1 as the category, which I assume is my alien registration number.

This is the same as the 8 digit Registration Number I have on my visa in my passport.

iarnell Sep 3rd 2017 10:25 am

Originally Posted by ivanidea (Post 12330117)
I do not have an 'A' number on my green card.

I do have a 9 digit USCIS# number, which starts with a zero, and has CR1 as the category, which I assume is my alien registration number.

On current green cards, you can see the A# in the gold stripe on the back - it's the same number as the USCIS# on the front.

Steve_ Sep 6th 2017 12:13 am

I was going by Mr Folinsky's definition, my sister's A# is nine characters but the first character is zero, so technically that makes it an eight digit number. Mine is nine digits and starts with a one, but was issued many years prior. I don't get that.

In fact I was so puzzled that I must have gotten the wrong number I went to the USCIS office and asked, but nope, I've got the right number, which is why I know you can't ask for it over the phone.

Anyway the thought occurred to me that if the OP is L-2 she might have an EAD, the A# is printed on EADs.

S Folinsky Sep 6th 2017 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Chesten (Post 12322406)

An H-4 non-immigrants will NOT have an alien number from being an H-4. That said, it is possible to have an A number from a past encounter with the minions of the dark forces.

S Folinsky Sep 6th 2017 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12325229)
I have a copy of my green card issued 1993 and it was A+9 digits.

I think not. Back then, the only nine-digit numbers were issued on certain student EAD's and they were not true alien numbers.

(I just saw a hard copy of a 12 year old memo from local DHS office on that)