Reload this Page >

QQ for those who lease with 'garden maintenance'

QQ for those who lease with 'garden maintenance'

Old Sep 28th 2007, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: QQ for those who lease with 'garden maintenance'

Originally Posted by Mandana
If your rent includes garden maintenance, what exactly is included in that service?

TIA
this is a great website and i feel sure you will find your answer here, if not then email them your question....

www.peopleslawyer.net/newsletter/homepage.asp
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
There is not a standard. It would either be stated on the lease or agreed verbally. We have no mention of garden maintenance on our lease, but the landlady told us what would happen (and it does). A team visits once every two weeks, they mow the front and back lawns, tidy up the shrubs, pick up the fallen fruit (usually half a recycle bin full - such a waste). They garden vac the drive, front patio and sides of the house. Periodically they perform larger tasks like cutting back the plants from the gazebo and garage etc. None of this is stated in the lease, but all was agreed verbally.
The landlady offered to fertilize and weed kill the lawns, but we do our own. We have 2 dogs and 4 cats - we want to control what chemicals are laid in the garden.
Thanks Pony

I'm probably just being unreasonable. And it's on my mind because this letter is in front of me (it's time to replace the AC filters, and they've listed in the letter what we need to buy), so I'm seeing the garden bit and it's rattling my cage (again).

Never mind the varnishing bit :curse:

Us landlords sure as hell do things differently in the UK.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:12 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pony

I'm probably just being unreasonable. And it's on my mind because this letter is in front of me (it's time to replace the AC filters, and they've listed in the letter what we need to buy), so I'm seeing the garden bit and it's rattling my cage (again).

Never mind the varnishing bit :curse:

Us landlords sure as hell do things differently in the UK.
Does varnishing the door include polishing the knob?
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:19 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, see, now that's why I posted! I didn't know what is the norm and what's not. Clearly I didn't (sorry, WE didn't) do our homework and find out exactly what 'garden maintenance' included. A lesson learnt there eh.

So, you're saying mowing/shrubs is the norm for the landlords to arrange? (if it's included in the lease price)

This is what they put in the informal letter when we collected the keys ...

The tenant is responsible for:
- weeding weekly
- seasonal plantings (flowers) as desired
- applying about 2" of mulch to all flower beds in September and March

ETA - if we'd known, we wouldn't have put all our garden tools into storage and needed to buy new ones here!
do you live in a single family house or multi family? (duplex/tri/quad)

- weeding weekly

Sounds stupid

Although if its single family, often tenants are responsible for basica mowing
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Does varnishing the door include polishing the knob?
I'm not going to do that for them either!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
do you live in a single family house or multi family? (duplex/tri/quad)

- weeding weekly

Sounds stupid

Although if its single family, often tenants are responsible for basica mowing
Single family house - what I know as a detached house!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:21 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

- weeding weekly

ETA - if we'd known, we wouldn't have put all our garden tools into storage and needed to buy new ones here!
How big are the flower beds? If you don't desire annuals, then dump a load of mulch onto the empty beds and be done with it. Ornamental beds are difficult to maintain given the heat, but this is actually the best time of year for it; I can't resist pansies (that is the Viola kind)!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

We get a spring and fall clean up - which consisted of the landlord coming round and tidying up!

The lease says we keep neat and tidy but nothing beyond that.

End of the day if its in a letter and not the lease then its not binding (plus if the lease is in employers name its not your problem!) To be honest with good mulching we dont have many weeds.

As for varnishing there is probably a clause in the lease that says landlord is responsible for maintenance so I would pass that back straight away!