Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

QQ re: tipping delivery guys

QQ re: tipping delivery guys

Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default QQ re: tipping delivery guys

I'm sorry, I have searched .. and this has probably been asked a thousand times, but I've left it to the last moment and need to know now really

We've just taken delivery of bedroom furniture. It's big and heavy and they've been on their hands and knees putting the bed together.

Been here about an hour, and won't be long before they go.

Do I tip? And if so, how much?
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QQ re: tipping delivery guys

Originally Posted by Mandana
I'm sorry, I have searched .. and this has probably been asked a thousand times, but I've left it to the last moment and need to know now really

We've just taken delivery of bedroom furniture. It's big and heavy and they've been on their hands and knees putting the bed together.

Been here about an hour, and won't be long before they go.

Do I tip? And if so, how much?
You know - I've always struggled with this myself, and I'm American. If you feel like they have done a good job for you - I'd consider tipping. OH and I just discussed and were thinking maybe $10 each (assuming there are two?)
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:13 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I'd tip but this is just me and I'd give them about $20 each ...
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys

I gave them $20 between them. Only had 20s and 1s, so that made the decision for me!

Appreciate the reply (and not being told 'this has been done a million times before!)

Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys

I gave them $20 between them. Only had 20s and 1s, so that made the decision for me!

Appreciate the reply (and not being told 'this has been done a million times before!)

Honestly, I think it's hard - and there's nothing worse then thinking ... "oh crap, should I tip them?!?!?" and scrambling. I made a frantic call to a friend to ask her this very question a few years ago.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:55 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If they build something, then tipping is fine. $5-10 or so. $20 a piece is generous, unless it was a lot of stuff.

UPS-Fedex $0
Dominos / Chinese Food 15% or so
Furniture Delivery / Parcel Delivery -- Just deliver to the door? $0.
Delivery and Assembly. $5-10-$20 per head, depending on how long they are there.
Whole house delivery men there all day, setting up things--$20-$50. I also usually tip these guys a case of beer as well.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by penguinsix
If they build something, then tipping is fine. $5-10 or so. $20 a piece is generous, unless it was a lot of stuff.

UPS-Fedex $0
Dominos / Chinese Food 15% or so
Furniture Delivery / Parcel Delivery -- Just deliver to the door? $0.
Delivery and Assembly. $5-10-$20 per head, depending on how long they are there.
Whole house delivery men there all day, setting up things--$20-$50. I also usually tip these guys a case of beer as well.
I need to save this to word and keep it! Very helpful - thanks.

The 2 guys were here for an hour and half-3/4 (didn't take too much notice of the exact time) and worked hard. The bed needed assembling. They helped me with the 'skirt' (valance to you and me!), and then they brought in the rest of the stuff, which is solid and very heavy (I won't be vacuuming under/behind until we move!)

So I thought a fiver each (yep, still converting). And lo & behold I only had 20s, so ideal.

Thanks for the heads-up on the rest of the deliveries. We had a pizza delivered for the first time in about 5 years the other night and I'm not sure OH tipped him. Oh well!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:13 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I usually overtip. Annoys my colleagues when I'm in London. "Don't do that -- they'll start to expect it!"

Here's a list of folks I would generally tip. A lot depends on attitude too. I'm much more likely to help a struggling kid parking my car than some middle-aged guy who is standing there expecting a tip.

Who to tip:

Going Out / Dinner
Meals: 15-20%. If service sucks, 0-5%.
Cab: 15%, or rounded up to the whole dollar.
Valet parker $1-2, sometimes a buck going in and a buck when you get it.
Coat check $1 a coat

At Home:
Delivery guys 15% for food guys, or so
$0 for UPS, FedEx, Post Man. Many tip them at Christmas though
Furniture Delivery $0 at the door
$5-10-20 if they assemble, depending on time spent and weight / stairs, etc.
$20-$50 for a whole house move (movers)
Newspaper Boy $1 every few weeks (if a kid who comes to your door), or a bigger amount ($20) at Christmas
Maid 15%, plus one weeks pay at Christmas.
Apartment Staff/Doorman Christmas only. Tip each one individually usually, along with handymen staff / supt.

On Travel:
Curbside checkin at airport $1 per bag (NOT at the counter--just curb)
Doorman at Hotel $1 if they get a cab / $1-2 if they help you with the bags
Baggage folks at Hotel $1 a bag
Conceirge Few bucks if they help with something tough, nothing if just directions.

Other Stuff
Hairdresser 15%

Bigger list here:

http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:17 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
$20-$50 for a whole house move (movers)
that per person or for the team?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:30 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember to tip the taxi driver, or they won't come back again
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by MsElui
that per person or for the team?
I did it for each (3 guys), but it is really up to you. If a huge team, then a lower tip per head is appropriate.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Good God Penguin, I've just had a look at that website ... I'm going to need to go out to work to afford the tips!

In one day I could easily get through $100+

Soon adds up
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:30 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by KJ2007
OH and I just discussed and were thinking maybe $10 each (assuming there are two?)
Tight wad

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Yes I'd tip but this is just me and I'd give them about $20 each ...
Thats more like it.

I gave them $20 between them.
Tight wad.

As one of those guys that years ago used to deliver bathroom suites to residential addresses I should tell you that not all delivery drivers are responsible for carting your crap inside the house and up the stairs. I was frequently asked to take boxes full of heavy ceramic bathroom stuff and even cast iron baths upstairs to bathrooms on my own. People were amazed when I said "No..thats your plumbers job not mine"
"But he's not coming until next week and the boxes will get soaked if left outside"
"Probably"
"If you don't take them in I will have to call your company"
"Do you want the number"

After ringing the company that supplied the bathroom suite and then being told that I was an outside transport contractor they would inevitably stump up the 40 quid I'd want to hump a bathroom suite up their stairs. Lovely jubbly.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:29 am
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with a cup of tea and a "cheers mate" shout all of a sudden?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:38 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
What's wrong with a cup of tea and a "cheers mate" shout all of a sudden?
Tight wad!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.