Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Q: Ex-Pat Car Insurance for a UK vehicle when in UK

Q: Ex-Pat Car Insurance for a UK vehicle when in UK

Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Q: Ex-Pat Car Insurance for a UK vehicle when in UK

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36

b) Now THAT is more likely to determine if a cop takes it further, if you were pulled over etc. But if you were in an RTA obviously there would be an investigation and they would find out your residency status.
If that happened it would likely mean that unless the insurance company have insured him to drive using his US DL...they would invalidate the cover. If you are using your US DL for insurance purposes I would get it in writing...not rely on someone over the phone.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:47 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We got our insurance for while in the UK via our USA Amex card.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
a) No, you can't (if you are a US resident), since your UK license is no longer valid, whether it's in date or not.

b) Now THAT is more likely to determine if a cop takes it further, if you were pulled over etc. But if you were in an RTA obviously there would be an investigation and they would find out your residency status.
Who is ever going to find out that it's out of date in the first place? As far as I'm concerned, and as far as plod is concerned, it's a valid driving license. I don't remember anywhere in becoming a US resident that my UK license suddenly became invalid.

So they take it further, and find that your not a resident - what does it change? Practically nothing. It doesn't invalidate your 3rd party car insurance but probably will the fully comp aspect, but I'm not rocking around in a new vehicle anyway.

And frankly, who cares if you get an IN10 in the UK anyway?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:45 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I Posted this 2 years ago it might help a bit.

Dear Miss xxxxxx

Thank you for your email received on 9/9/11. Your email reference number is #####.

Whilst an individuals citizenship has no bearing on the validity of an individuals driving licence, I can confirm that providing the licence remains valid and you have not been issued with a licence from another country since leaving GB you may driving on the strength of your GB driving licence on return visits.

If you have been issued with a licence from another country since leaving GB you should use this on your return visit, as the most recently issued licence will be the valid licence.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai...m_drivers.html

When filling in the form the email reference number ####### will be required.

Regards

L Evans

Customer Enquiries Group

DVLA
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I Posted this 2 years ago it might help a bit.

Dear Miss xxxxxx

Thank you for your email received on 9/9/11. Your email reference number is #####.

Whilst an individuals citizenship has no bearing on the validity of an individuals driving licence, I can confirm that providing the licence remains valid and you have not been issued with a licence from another country since leaving GB you may driving on the strength of your GB driving licence on return visits.

If you have been issued with a licence from another country since leaving GB you should use this on your return visit, as the most recently issued licence will be the valid licence.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai...m_drivers.html

When filling in the form the email reference number ####### will be required.

Regards

L Evans

Customer Enquiries Group

DVLA
I have a similar email from the DVLA...stating the EU law about this.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:04 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have a similar email from the DVLA...stating the EU law about this.
I recall you and me discussing this and it was going to be posted in the wiki at one point.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I recall you and me discussing this and it was going to be posted in the wiki at one point.
Sure one may get away with using a UK licence for years...but I always work on the assumption 'if it can happen...it probably will'. I don't take chances when it comes to insurance...if you are involved in an accident they will look for any loopholes to get out of paying.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Weeze
We got our insurance for while in the UK via our USA Amex card.
Interesting. I use same for extra cover when I rent a car...do you use it to actually insure a car owned by a relative or friend?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Both issues are much more complicated than are being made out.

For the Insurance aspect I would start by reading the wording on a UK Insurance Certificate.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:51 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Interesting. I use same for extra cover when I rent a car...do you use it to actually insure a car owned by a relative or friend?
We bought the option for renting a car. Just suggesting in case they offer anything similar for driving a relations car.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 5:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Weeze
We bought the option for renting a car. Just suggesting in case they offer anything similar for driving a relations car.
I see. Yes quite a few of us use AMEX insurance so we don't have to pay extra when renting a card. Not sure they would insure you to drive a relative/friend's car...although it may be worth the OP checking it out.