Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Q: Ex-Pat Car Insurance for a UK vehicle when in UK

Q: Ex-Pat Car Insurance for a UK vehicle when in UK

Old May 29th 2013, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Skint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Q: Ex-Pat Car Insurance for a UK vehicle when in UK

Here is my question:-
I am an ex-pat and have lived in the US for 15 years. In all that time whenever I have gone back to the UK I have driven my Dad's car about as a named second driver.

Last August my dad suffered a serious domestic accident which means he is likely to never drive again. But he still wants me to use the car whenever I go over and see him/care for him, (as I was able to do for 4 months last year whilst transitioning him though the bureaucratically-cumbersome corridors of the NHS.)

However, when he spoke to his insurers about his condition, they were adamant that I could not - as a US resident - continue to be his named second driver or even the primary driver should I transfer the vehicle (an old, almost valueless, Toyota) into my ownership.

Having spoken to a UK broker it would appear my US resident status precludes me from obtaining insurance, except at hugely inflated cost. This is despite having both a UK and a US license and having never had a claim-necessary accident in all my (almost 40) years of driving.

I also, retrospectively discovered, that I had inadvertently been 'breaking the law' for the past 10 years or so by piggybacking on my Dad's insurance but without 'full disclosure' of my residence status.

Anyone know a way round this dilemma that will allow me to affordably continue to use my Dad's car? Anyone else had a similar circumstance and who could point me in the direction of a friendly insurer?
Old May 29th 2013, 11:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Q: Ex-Pat Car Insurance for a UK vehicle when in UK

Some insurance companies will add you to the policy...at extra cost...for a short time. If your father is still able to get car insurance it would be best to shop around.
Old May 30th 2013, 6:25 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

There was an advert on UK TV last night for a company that does temporary insurance, I think from one day up to one month. Called something like temporaryinsurance.com, I noticed it because it was something I thought may be useful to members of BE. All done online and cover could be issued right away
Old May 30th 2013, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

.co.uk

Most likely much easier to rent using a US license.

That was my experience last time.
Old May 30th 2013, 12:59 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I've been overseas since '95, but had a brief stint back in the UK for 5 months about 8 years ago. I bought a car and insured it with Norwich Union, now called Aviva. When I moved back to the US I decided to keep the car, and informed them of the move. Initially they wanted to cancel the policy, but eventually agreed to keep it in place on a limited mileage basis ( I think 5000 miles per year). Each year at renewal I've renewed by mail, making sure that they are aware of my status - they even send documentation to my US address. I've never had to claim on it, which may be where the problem will arise, but so far I think (note, think!) I have been covered.....

Not sure if it makes a difference that I was in the UK when I started the policy and so am grandfathered in, or whether the rules have changed. Or whether my policy isn't worth the paper it's written on.....may be worth giving them a call to see if they can do anything for you....don't mention my name
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skint
a) However, when he spoke to his insurers about his condition, they were adamant that I could not - as a US resident - continue to be his named second driver or even the primary driver should I transfer the vehicle (an old, almost valueless, Toyota) into my ownership.

b) Having spoken to a UK broker it would appear my US resident status precludes me from obtaining insurance, except at hugely inflated cost.

c) This is despite having both a UK and a US license and having never had a claim-necessary accident in all my (almost 40) years of driving.

d) I also, retrospectively discovered, that I had inadvertently been 'breaking the law' for the past 10 years or so by piggybacking on my Dad's insurance but without 'full disclosure' of my residence status.

e) Anyone know a way round this dilemma that will allow me to affordably continue to use my Dad's car? Anyone else had a similar circumstance and who could point me in the direction of a friendly insurer?
a) Sounds right.

b) Yep.

c) The UK license is irrelevant, as it became invalid the minute you became a US resident, regardless of whether it's still in date or not.

d) I don't know about breaking the law, but should you have had an accident, it would have been highly likely that the insurance company would have refused to cover you. I guess depending on their Ts & Cs, that may have been an offense.

e) Rent a car when you go to the UK, using your US license.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 2:01 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

When back in England last year I bought a 10 year old Fiat Punto to run around in and used Aviva they started at about £900 cough cough, so I said no way was paying that, and shock of all shock the lass said "what were you thinking of" I said "about half that" bingo £525 I think it was, and paid monthly £54.... note I stayed 4 months
Old Jun 4th 2013, 3:09 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting, cos its Aviva I'm with....did they know your residency status?
Old Jun 5th 2013, 12:59 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
That's interesting, cos its Aviva I'm with....did they know your residency status?
Yes they did indeed, I used my UK licence in my maiden name and then payments were set up by my married name. (divorced before someone thinks I remarried lol)
Old Jun 5th 2013, 1:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yes they did indeed, I used my UK licence in my maiden name and then payments were set up by my married name. (divorced before someone thinks I remarried lol)
I presume you didn't say you were not a UK resident. I know because of the circumstances you didn't know how long you would be in the UK and had put you US life on hold.

After a lot of searching I managed to find a company to insure me as a non UK resident...but holding a UK licence. Can't remember the name but it has an owl for its logo.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I presume you didn't say you were not a UK resident. I know because of the circumstances you didn't know how long you would be in the UK and had put you US life on hold.

After a lot of searching I managed to find a company to insure me as a non UK resident...but holding a UK licence. Can't remember the name but it has an owl for its logo.
No I did tell them and also the circumstances I was totally upfront with them maybe I was just taken pity upon.

Edit excuse me I just went and looked at the papers it was not AVIVA it was these guys apologises http://www.taagl.com/

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jun 5th 2013 at 1:22 am.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Skint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice peeps! It seems crazy to me that a non-res ex-pat with a better driving record than most of the UK residents that ARE easily insured is considered a bigger risk, but hey ho, them's the rules and all that malarkey.

Still considering all alternatives but may have a work-around via a friend who owns a garage who is willing to own the car and then add me to their commercial insurance (for around 25 quid month) as and when I need it. The car can sit in my dad's garage, be started up every few weeks and hopefully be available when I need it. If not then its to the car hire market I go. Anyone have advice over who is the best/most affordable/less dickish rental companies to go to?
Old Jun 6th 2013, 1:59 am

Thanks for all the advice peeps! It seems crazy to me that a non-res ex-pat with a better driving record than most of the UK residents that ARE easily insured is considered a bigger risk, but hey ho, them's the rules and all that malarkey.

Still considering all alternatives but may have a work-around via a friend who owns a garage who is willing to own the car and then add me to their commercial insurance (for around 25 quid month) as and when I need it. The car can sit in my dad's garage, be started up every few weeks and hopefully be available when I need it. If not then its to the car hire market I go. Anyone have advice over who is the best/most affordable/less dickish rental companies to go to?
"Rent a Wreck" back in Norwich thats the actual name of the company, dirt cheap.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough

Anyone know a way round this dilemma that will allow me to affordably continue to use my Dad's car? Anyone else had a similar circumstance and who could point me in the direction of a friendly insurer?
I got my father to insure a vehicle with me as a named driver. If I get stopped, I can pull out a valid insurance certificate and a valid UK drivers license. I doubt a cop will ever ask me to show that I'm a UK resident.

Years ago, MrsTinman was insured on my car and I got the call centre person to ring down to the underwriters desk and see if they'd put a US resident on my insurance - was never a problem.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinman0
a) If I get stopped, I can pull out a ... valid UK drivers license.

b) I doubt a cop will ever ask me to show that I'm a UK resident.
a) No, you can't (if you are a US resident), since your UK license is no longer valid, whether it's in date or not.

b) Now THAT is more likely to determine if a cop takes it further, if you were pulled over etc. But if you were in an RTA obviously there would be an investigation and they would find out your residency status.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.