Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Q 4 Those Who Renewed I-551 Stamp

Q 4 Those Who Renewed I-551 Stamp

Old Sep 26th 2001, 7:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I know that several of you are or have been in the same leaky boat that my husband is in at the moment. However, it appears that all of you have been able to walk into your local INS offices and get an extension of the I-551 stamp in your passport whereas he was unable to do so.

Could you tell me what you had to do once you walked into your INS office? What did they tell you was the cause of the delay in getting your green card. Did they ask for additional photographs and have you sign another I-89?

We are at a loss as to how to proceed from here. Our congressperson has not acknowledged our letter and neither has the three people at NYC INS to whom Jim has sent copies of the same letter asking for explanation and assistance.

We would gladly pay the $110 for a replacement card via the I-90 but they wouldn't accept that either in NYC. Outside of hiring an expensive immigration attorney to try and sought this problem out, we are stumped.

The experience of others might show us exactly how to proceed so thanks in advance for your help.

Jim and Rita
Old Sep 26th 2001, 11:49 pm
Michael Voight

Rete wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

You mentioned what you couldn't do in this and the following paragraphs. What did
they tell you that you could do??

Old Sep 27th 2001, 6:57 pm
Paulgani

>
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I know that several of you are or have been in the same leaky boat that my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > husband is in at the moment. However, it appears that all of you have been able[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to walk into your local INS offices and get an extension of the I-551 stamp in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > your passport whereas he was unable to do so.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

They told them that if only they had DCF'ed in Moscow, everything would be OK.

Paulgani

Old Sep 27th 2001, 11:11 pm
Onigiri

The run-of-the-mill INS office provides the stamp soon after the AoS is approved at
the interview or they send a letter home after the CIA check and the AoS is approved
to ask the petitioner to come and get the stamp or if they do not need it { for
travel OUS } wait for the plastic. Occasionally they have form letters, where they
had erroneously checked the box next to "come to the office and fill in a new I-89
form" and people have gone and done that. We got the latter deal with a 6 month CIA
check delay; and had to go to the local INS office to get the stamp. In your case,
you did receive the first stamp at the interview, signifying that your AoS was
approved, CIA and all. However, you never got the card and when you later went into
the INS to ask about the card and get a second extension on the stamp....they
essentially told you to get lost. It is almost like they do not acknowledge your AoS
approval. ( BTW, do you have a written statement from the INS that your AoS petition
was approved ? ) Instead of writing to your congressperson ( who hasnot responded
yet), you may call their *constituent services office* in the district and talk to
the immigration liaison and explain the situation. Then at least you will have a Jack
or MaryJo to deal with and help you out in getting a status report on your particular
case and A number. Good luck. "> We are at a loss as to how to proceed from here. Our
congressperson has
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 27th 2001, 11:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we have it in writing from Supervisor Whilwite that AOS was approved on 8.11.00. In fact the as....e took the letter from Jim went to the supervisor (he was his supervisor he said) and when he came back made the comments he did.

We will give it another week and see if we here from this supervisor as he was one of the recipients of the letter but with all that has happened in NYC they might need time to get their act together (is that at all possible do you think?). If Jim is able to get a pass we will go together once again and if that doesn't work will hire an expensive lawyer to deal with this shit.

The Washington Unit refused to act on the complaint and referred it back to NYC.

Rita
Old Sep 28th 2001, 3:30 pm
Concierge

Michael

The AH said the only way he would give the stamp was with proof of filing the I-751.

Now we still have a year before the conditions need to be lifed therefore what would we file an I-751 for?

The problem is that the employee was a prick and his supervisor (if he indeed spoke with him/her)(they use initials to remain genderless) apparently didn't tell the AH anything useful.

Timeline is:

3/23/98 filed I-129F
3/30/98 I-129F approved
4/1/98 Notice of Approval received
6/13/98 K-1 approved
9/26/98 married
10/2/98 filed I-485
6/13/00 AOS interview
8/11/00 AOS approved
9/29/00 I-551 stamp received
8/30/01 Request extended I-551 - refused

In between those timelines was:
two EAD's (12/98 and 12/99);
two A/Ps (12/98 and 12/99);
letter to DD of NYC re file in storage in Lee's Summit, MO (7/00)
letter from Matt Udall to NYC INS requesting status of AOS (4/00 and replied to by NYC);
letter from Congressperson (7/01) requesting status of green card (NO REPLY);
G-731V (2/15/01) to Vermont requesting status of green card NO REPLY;
8/31/01 letters of DD and ADD of NYC and AH supervisor NO REPLIES) and congressperson (NO REPLIES) and letter of complaint to Internal Unit in DC (REPLY ... NO SERIOUS ENOUGH COMPLAINT)

Now Michael is there anything that you don't understand about our situation?

Rita
Old Sep 28th 2001, 3:55 pm
Andy Platt

I wonder if you could get the media interested by angling it as a story tied in with
the recent attack ... It seems more likely they would be interested in "The
immigration office has been so severely affected they can't even stamp a permanent
resident's passport with the greencard stamp" than just a general story about them
screwing up so badly.

Just a thought!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 29th 2001, 7:29 am
Riri

I don't understand it too.....maybe you should wait until 3/34/01.....

R

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 29th 2001, 3:58 pm
Jonathan_atc

Yeah, I don't understand it either. Perhaps you should refrain from going to the INS
office on "off days"? They NEVER EVER stamp on the 32nd or the 33rd.

--
    >
Steen's Visa Pages http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >