Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Purchasing Vehicle in florida with a B2 visa

Purchasing Vehicle in florida with a B2 visa

Old Dec 3rd 2016, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Purchasing Vehicle in florida with a B2 visa

Originally Posted by audio
Best ask the DMV at Crescent City or Palatka, FL.
Not a fluke, Mrs A and my British neighbor did the same

I now have a 10 year DL (LPR) and I have never taken a test in the US
Wow, that's jammy!
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 4:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
The issue that immediately springs to mind is that here in NC you can't register a vehicle without an NC licence. I'm assuming that is similar for FL.

You can certainly get auto insurance on a foreign licence.

I was able to register my vehicle in July in Mississippi without having a Mississippi driver's license. In fact was able to get the insurance for Mississippi without the license.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

That's not the Florida DMV website, it's one of the many third party sites that exist to advertise various services.

The official site is here: https://www.flhsmv.gov
Old Dec 6th 2016, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavB
Hi
I have had a property in melbourne florida for 8 years now which I have used for short holidays.
I am hoping to retire next year and get a B2 visa so my wife and I can stay up to 6 months.
My question is how hard is it to buy and insure a car when I am not a US resident, looking on google some say after 9-11 you cant insure a car without a US drivers licence.
And that I cant get a licence without living in the state for more than 180 days. Is this true?
hope someone can give me some guidance on this.
many thanks
Dave
Someone asked a similar question here years ago, I just called a local dealer to check. The answer was you could buy and register a vehicle, but things could have changed.

I am sure you can get a license faster than 180 days. I know someone who got it in less than 14 just last week.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Someone asked a similar question here years ago, I just called a local dealer to check. The answer was you could buy and register a vehicle, but things could have changed.

I am sure you can get a license faster than 180 days. I know someone who got it in less than 14 just last week.

I had to impart my DL details when I registered my truck just recently - I didn't query the requirement but got the impression that the DMV wouldn't process my title and registration without it.

What the poster meant about 180 days is not the amount of time taken to obtain a licence but the maximum amount of time they'd let a licence run for a temporary visa visitor - it will be valid until the date on your I-94 and then you have to renew it when you return.

As for storage it seems to be a common thing for snowbirds, who leave a vehicle here for the summer, to jack their vehicle off the ground and stand it on concrete blocks, presumably to relieve weight from the tyres and slow deterioration of rubber.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

DavB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
For a small fee you can leave it at mine as long as I can drive it
LOL Sure
I just moved from port saint lucie to melbourne
and thought I was the only Sheff wednesday fan there
obviusly not
Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, we're all Wednesday aren't we?

I live in PSL! Small World
Old Dec 9th 2016, 12:23 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavB
My question is how hard is it to buy and insure a car when I am not a US resident, looking on google some say after 9-11 you cant insure a car without a US drivers licence.
And that I cant get a licence without living in the state for more than 180 days. Is this true?
hope someone can give me some guidance on this.
many thanks
Dave
The answer is to use: Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Index

You can't get an SSN so you have to get a letter from the SSA saying you're not eligible. I think they will issue a DL to someone who is B-2 in Florida but only to the date on your I-94, so it will only be valid for six months maximum. Canadian visitors can get one, that's for sure, those are valid for one year because Canadians don't get I-94s. And you can use a Canadian passport on it's own as proof, but that's not the case for other nationalities.

So basically, before you go to the DMV, you need your current licence, you need to swot up for the test (it's only the multiple-choice bit I think nowadays which is super easy and frankly the whole test is frighteningly easy), you need to print off your I-94 and you need the letter from the SSA as well as two things to prove your residential address in Florida - bear in mind only residents can get DLs, so you are in essence saying you reside in Florida.

This can cause lots of weird problems as you will see from reading IRS Form 8840 and the fact is you don't live in Florida so why bother? Anyone can register a car there and insure it, you don't need a Florida DL. Loads of Canadians buy cars down there.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

So basically, before you go to the DMV ... you need to swot up for the test (it's only the multiple-choice bit I think nowadays which is super easy and frankly the whole test is frighteningly easy)
Note that the multiple choice, apparently, USED to be super easy it has been rejigged fairly recently. When I took mine a year ago the examiner (who sat in the car with me whilst I steered the car in circles round their joke off road circuit for the 'practical' part of the test, which was frighteningly easy) was bemoaning the fact that the test was now too hard - I disagree, it's still think it's too easy but you would definitely be foolhardy taking the theory part without doing some fairly serious swotting of the handbook, the questions were very 'wordy' and many required some thought to interpret their meaning.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Nah, we're all Wednesday aren't we?

I live in PSL! Small World
Oh dear... I thought I came to the USA to get away from you lot.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 1:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
How did you get a FL drivers license without ever taking a test in the USA? I didn't think that was possible. ....
NJ will, I hear, swap a British licence for an NJ one as if it was a license from another US state. AFAIK it is the only state that will do so.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
NJ will, I hear, swap a British licence for an NJ one as if it was a license from another US state. AFAIK it is the only state that will do so.
Correct, you have to do the theory but they waive the road test.

You do need to learn the Jersey rules of the road though - add at least 10mph to each speed limit, aggressively tailgate at all times, beep your horn if the person in front doesn't move the nanosecond the light turns green, totally ignore hatched junctions, don't look when changing lanes. I could go on
Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You have to sit a written test...but there is no practical test.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Oh dear... I thought I came to the USA to get away from you lot.
You can't escape us
Old Dec 9th 2016, 2:46 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
Been there and done it.
All very easy, 7 years ago I had a B2. Purchased a house and a car in Florida. Dealer did all the car registration stuff. I shopped around for insurance. No problem at all. I am presently with Amica. While I was away I just left minimal insurance cover on the car.
The pain side was the DMV only granting me a D/L for the duration of my visa- 6 months. Every time I returned normally after an absence of 6 months I renewed my D/L without any problems but I had to pay a delinquent fee because I was late renewing. How stupid is that? No amount of arguing could change that rule.
Never took a FL. Driving test, just used my old paper UK license.
My parents (who just became LPRs) were B2-ers for the last 10 years and they did exactly what you describe.