Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Purchasing a car in USA (non resident)

Purchasing a car in USA (non resident)

Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Purchasing a car in USA (non resident)

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
why should others be bothered to put together a substantial and polite reply?
then they should heed Mr Fs parting remarks and not post at all.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Point's made. Can we please not hijack the OP's thread? (also discourteous)
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Cape, I don't live there yet, that's 2010.. But lets just say that my linguistics have been long affected after a huge amount of time spent there, travel, and marriage to a USC.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:20 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Cape, I don't live there yet, that's 2010.. But lets just say that my linguistics have been long affected after a huge amount of time spent there, travel, and marriage to a USC.
Ah, you've gone native early - just the frontal lobotomy to go then
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GLB
Hi, I have just closed on a holiday home in Arizona. I want to purchase a car for the home, any advice on insurance, UK driving licence versus International Driving Permit and finance options versus cash/credit card etc?
Hi

I dont live in Arizona, but having justmoved over to Virginia and gone through the whole process, hopefully this may be of some use. We went with Geico for insurance, and from speaking with friends we have made here, we didnt get fleeced just because we were Brits! They gave you 60 days (in VA at least) to get your driving licence. We have had to get Virginia licences and had to do all 3 tests (eye sight, written (by way of computer) and on the road skills test), nearly 20 years of driving means nothing apparently, but thats by the by. In VA if you wanted to buy a car with some finance, you need a VA driving licence, bit i am not sure again for AZ.. We did, however, get completely screwed on finance (again 20 years excellent credit in the UK means nothing), but we quickly moved to a credit union so maybe that is something to check with straight away if you are thinking of doing credit. For any down payments it seems they only accept cheques from US bank accounts, and will not take payments by card (but it could be different with different dealers or states).

Anyhoo, i hope this helps you out and gives you some idea of your options - i must say that it does seem to be different dependant on which State you are in, so go to a car dealer and ask them how it works (thats how we started our journey!!!!)

Best of British!
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buckers
They gave you 60 days (in VA at least) to get your driving licence. We have had to get Virginia licences and had to do all 3 tests (eye sight, written (by way of computer) and on the road skills test), nearly 20 years of driving means nothing apparently, but thats by the by. In VA if you wanted to buy a car with some finance, you need a VA driving licence, bit i am not sure again for AZ..
And you had to prove appropriate immigration status for the US, yes?
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:36 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
I recently saw a list of states that will give you a d/l without doing that. NM was one of them... can't remember the rest.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I recently saw a list of states that will give you a d/l without doing that. NM was one of them... can't remember the rest.
I can pretty well guarantee that Arizona won't be on it.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:53 pm

I can pretty well guarantee that Arizona won't be on it.
Yay for Sheriff Joe!
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure if any States will do that, WA did at one time, Florida for the duration of your status, but if you have 90 days on the VWP that would probably give you 60 days validity. And then you start again on the next trip.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am not sure if any States will do that, WA did at one time, Florida for the duration of your status, but if you have 90 days on the VWP that would probably give you 60 days validity. And then you start again on the next trip.
The number is decreasing, but is not yet zero. Googling turns up lots of references, but this seems both recent and comprehensive:

http://www.nilc.org/immspbs/DLs/stat...2009-04-27.pdf
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse
The number is decreasing, but is not yet zero. Googling turns up lots of references, but this seems both recent and comprehensive:

http://www.nilc.org/immspbs/DLs/stat...2009-04-27.pdf
It's tied to the REAL ID Act IIRC. Oregon was famous for giving anyone a license and then decided they wanted the Federal money more than the DMV business.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

At the very least..............we had to show all sorts of documentation to prove we were who we said we were, and we lived where we said we lived...........the visa itself was not enough, we also needed to have other official documents, hard when you are not from the US but everything has to be US (birth cert, marraige cert etc) but got there in the end. Then we had to use a strangers car, as the law has changed just so we couldnt use our rental car..........thankgod i dont have to do that again.

T
Old Dec 7th 2009, 10:49 pm

It's tied to the REAL ID Act IIRC. Oregon was famous for giving anyone a license and then decided they wanted the Federal money more than the DMV business.
I believe so, though there are also state laws in play. For example, AZ will not accept a DL from NM (or HI, IL, UT and some WA) as a valid piece of ID.

http://mvd.azdot.gov/mvd/formsandpub...rmInfoKey=1410