Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Purchase power, moving to Bay Area in 1 month!

Purchase power, moving to Bay Area in 1 month!

Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:10 am
Just Joined

mikeleGermany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Purchase power, moving to Bay Area in 1 month!

Hi expats,

I am moving to the Bay Area to work in Palo Alto. I am bit confused with different internet threads and i do not have any idea about how good I will do with my salary.

I do not know how much after tax i will get, i will be there with an L1 with a salary of 190K and with all health costs covered by the company. My wife and my two daughters will come with us. At the beginning my wife wont work.

The idea we had was to rent a house nearby, in Mountain View or Cupertino, and we have seen that prices for such a house are usually over 4000K.

can anybody tell me approximately how much after tax i would take home with that salary? Is that a good salary in that area?

thanks expats,
Mikel
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of
Default Re: Purchase power, moving to Bay Area in 1 month!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817233

Here is a very current thread discussing income and living in the Bay Area. There are also a ton of threads on similar topics, use the search function and you can find a heap of very useful information.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Given higher rate taxes, at a rough guess you're going to have about $10,000/ mth after tax and statutory deductions. If you're lucky, it might be after medical insurance too.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:04 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

I can't tell you take home exactly but hubby's salary is $150k plus $30k in bonus (so quarterly amount rather than monthly). We think his take home is about $8k a month and then $4800 quarterly so 10k a month sounds about right for you. e live in foster city where rent is $3400 a month. We have 2 kids and the usual expenses it's fine. We're not rich, but have enough to be able to have a good life style and can take holidays etc. I don't think you need to worry.

If you have any other questions I can help with do give me a shout. We've only been here since sept so have done it all v recently!